Sign in to follow this  
Oldworldtraveller

Which Cruise Lines Have You Tried

Good topic!!

P&O 3 Cruises, one on Britannia two on Oceana,

I think P&O are great I love the simplicity of the package they offer, which is a fair price (imo) and of a decent standard, I'm not such a fan of the show's but am a fan of the guest acts that they do get on board which I haven't been dissapointed with so far. the only negative for me is that the Itineries can be repetitive but I cannot expect the size of their vessels to offer much more within a two week period from the UK. My latest a Caribbean on Britannia was fantastic I don't have the hang up's about the lifts, cabin design ETC because everything else overshadowed these minor issues.

Royal Caribbean one cruise, Allure of the Seas.

This ship to me is the definition of WOW factor you cannot help but be impressed by the engineering and standard of facilities, whether you can class it as a cruise ship is a different story. The cabins offer a lot of space and function (IMO) but I was a tad dissapointed by the dining in the MDR, in fairness Chop's grill and the Mexican restaraunt (I forgot it's name) where excellent. I would also say the Windjammer is very well organised for a Buffet area and does offer a variety of cooked to order dishes, and I am not generally a Buffet person. This was also a Caribbean itinerary and for me P&O slightly edged it as you avoid the forced overnight and Miami airport.

I think all would be in agreeance that the ship does play a role in the overall enjoyment of the holiday, however for me it doesn't need to have the best dining in the world, or the largest spa at sea. I enjoy a holiday when I am with my friends and family with the sun on my face.

Hi  I have sailed on quite a few different cruise lines although I probably haven't tried even a third of all the cruise lines.  Two are no longer inexistence (CTC x2, Orient x1).   Ocean cruise lines (Thomson x3, Costa x1, P&O x5, Cunard x7, RCI x2, Fred Olsen x12, Princess x3, Celebrity x2, NCL x1, Azamara x3, Silversea x4, Crystal x1).  River cruise lines (Viking x1, Riviera x2).   I have enjoyed them all although some much more than others.  Least enjoyable Costa, Best Crystal/Silversea,  Best value Azamara.

P&O x7, RCI x5, Celebrity x4, NCL x1, all in the last 8 years, Carnival x1 about 15 years ago. Enjoyed all of them, sometimes for different reasons. Favourite line at the moment, Celebrity, for all round quality of food and entertainment. P&O slipping down the ranks because of it's obvious cost cutting in dining experience and same old Headliners theatre acts since we first sailed with them 5 years ago. Loved NCL's Epic for entertainment but put us off sailing from Barcelona ever again as we found Spanish guests rude and obnoxious. We were wowed by Anthem of the Seas and will definitely sail on a Quantum Class ship again, also love Freedom Class ships.

Guest Solent Richard

Some months ago there was a thread that elicited some great posts relating to favourite cruise ships. Many people have their favourite cruise line but it crossed my mind have they ever tried any other!!!

What cruise lines have you tried and what were the good and bad points?

Good morning again Oldworldtraveller

The answer is a resounding Yes.

And yesterday I added a new one to my list - Seabourn.

I'm always under pressure from Solent Barbara to try new ships. I don't mind that but also like trying new ships even if they belong to a cruise line I have sailed before. Hence we have a cruise later this year on Oceania Riviera: having previously thoroughly enjoyed Oceania's Nautical...

8254751816_0e10c62846_z.jpg

8253677423_c738c0da2b_z.jpg

I've even taken your recommendation and will be trying Scenic on a European River.

Hi OWT,

Dipped our cruising toes in the water in the early 90's with Thomson around the Canary Islands, with a week's time share stay to follow, in case we still needed a holiday. Decided at that point that we liked cruising but would probably return to it later in life.

And that is exactly what we did, with P&O, Silversea, Cunard, Princess, Celebrity and Azamara. Have enjoyed every single trip but Azamara has been our standout experience so far.

DavidH

Air tours, Carousel ,Seawing , Sundream and Sunbird, those were great cruises at reasonable prices we went to the Caribbean, Greece , Turkey, the Med and the Baltics on those old ships what a fabulous time we had in those days I used to go with my girlfriends at work as my OH being ex merchant navy didn't fancy it.

Around that time Thompsons also offered good value we ended up on the Emerald, this time with OH, sailing the med from Palma, we then tried Sapphire, and Topaz and again the company and the itinerary suited us as , First Choice x 1 Ansonia, similar to Thompsons and another great cruise I met some wonderful likeminded people who I still meet up with today she was a one off which sailed from Southampton.

We also tried VOD when they first started we sailed on a small ship called the Orion flying into Aqaba and taking in Petra, Syria, Lebanon, Israel Egypt Suez Canal[Haifa] that was an amazing cruise we ate at 7.30, no entertainment except a few quizzes, I think the sight seeing and the continuous pouring of wine[all free] at dinner we were all in bed at 10pm read for the next days discovery that was a memorable cruise.

We then tried RCI , in their early day their reasonable sized ships included the Radiance ,Brilliance ,Legend Splendour and Navigator being the Largest on this ship [it was a members cruise ]and so much was laid on for us, we wen't up the canal to Amsterdam a great day we enjoyed everyone of these ships in those days there were no non of those tower blocks they have nowadays, unfortunately we left RCI when we stopped flying .

We also sailed on Celebrity , twice with the Century we really liked that ship and then Eclipse but the favourite was the Constellation the entertainment and the food was wonderful as were the ports of call if only she would sail from Southampton.

NCL , we did a transatlantic on the NCL Dawn in December the weather was wild the captain went south all to no avail, but what a wonderful time we had they were all geared up for Christmas, carols, decorations up a lovely Christmas tree and a brand new ship, but again you have to fly to join these ships and that's a no no for us.

Cunard transatlantic on the first leg of the world cruise to NY on the QV loved it we have done 2 other cruises on her another transatlantic and a mini cruise, would like to try both the QM2 and Q Elizabeth eventually.

Which brings me back finally to my favourite line PO We discovered PO when we retired and decided to take a world cruise, we chose the Aurora for her itinerary , and we had a wonderful cruise we were looked after so well met some lovely people and fulfilled our dreams when we visited these far flung places.

S

I sailed PO Oceana in the 2000S? and that was my first experience with PO they had purchased two ships they called them the White sisters I believe the other was called Adonia, in 2007 we sailed with PO on a world cruise , we had a wonderful time it was so good we did another world cruise in 2011 again on the Aurora and again we had the time of our lives, Aurora is my favourite out of the PO fleet she is more intimate than the Ventura [not keen on her or the Azura to big and everything is centred around the Atrium, the show lounges at the back of these ships for alternative entertainment is so badly laid out you can't see anything if you are not in the front, I quite like the Oriana she is one of the few ships where everybody doesn't go to bed at 10, at midnight the ship is still jumping, I have yet to try Arcadia and Britannia, I try to sail at least twice a year from Southampton with PO, I get sick and fed up with PO bashing funny that the ones who usually do this still sail time and time again with them, if you don't like what they have to offer then go elsewhere.

The worst ship I ever sailed on was the Island Escape, terrible food, terrible cabins, kids crawling all over the floors very late at night in the entertainment lounges, terrible organisation, thankfully that hasn't happened again, although we did turn up for cruise to the fjords from Dover , this never took place because the British board of trade declared her unseaworthy, we were allowed to spend the night on her, we had bunk beds/ the carpets were threadbare, but what a night we had free bar, great food and an Irish comedian who was so funny . and we were compensated but I can't remember the name of the ship.

CG

We've done P & O x 5 (Oriana 4 & Ventura 1), Cunard x 2 (QEll & Queen Victoria), Thomson x 2 ( Celebration & Emerald), MSC x 2 (Melody & Rhapsody) , Cruise & Maritime x 1 (Arion) & Fred Olsen x 1 (Braemar). We also did a river cruise, I've no idea which company owned it but it was called Virginia Amazonia (I think). We enjoyed all of them in their different ways but the Arion was quite small & didn't cope very well with the rough seas to & from Norway.

Can anye remember the old British India line? That was my first cruise sjip.

I think I went on a British India ship when I went on a Med cruise with my school in 1970 - it was the Uganda.

Holland America Line x7. (6 ships: Prinsendam;  Ryndam;  Volendam(x2);  Oosterdam;  Eurodam &  Rotterdam) 

P&O x 4 [soon to be 5!]   (3 ships: Arcadia(x2)  Aurora &  Azura)

Cunard x 3. (2 ships: Queen Eliizabeth2 (x2)  & Queen Mary2)

Celebrity x3. (Galaxy;  Solstice  & Infinity)

Silversea x 3. (Whisper;  Cloud  & Shadow)

Fred Olsen x 3. (Braemar;  Balmoral  & Black Watch)

Azamara x 2. (Quest  & Journey)

Star Cruise: the original (Superstar Gemini) not the current one!

Princess: Diamond Princess

Royal Caribbean: Legend OTS

Swan Hellenic: Minerva

Saga: Saga Ruby

Portuscale: MV Funchal

I personally think it's almost impossible to pick a favourite cruise line, let alone a favourite cruise ship.

I've always favoured the smaller ships myself, but QM2 & Solstice certainly surprised me, by their 'flow' and the outstanding service hospitality.

As a 'one off' we loved Diamond Princess and its something of a conundrum that we haven't been back since, but we will, one day, just waiting for the right ship at the right time.

I'm much more interested in trying out 'new to me' ships every time, than returning to previously cruised ships. 

In cruising terms, I feel that too many cruisers mistake 'familiarity' with partial 'ownership' and that's where the cruising situation can  possibly break down. That nice couple you met first time around on 'Saucy Sal' are no longer there, and the ships 'hotel' crew may have most probably all changed around too. 

That IMO, is where the past holiday dream begins to fade and the whingeing likewise, can possibly start to begin?

Despite their value, cruises are still expensive purchases, so they should be enjoyed for what they currently are, rather than fond memories of past times and fellow travellers perhaps? 

Bon Voyage & Happy Cruising

Since this thread was started a number of people have joined the forum and I thought it a good idea to resurrect this post. To give them an opportunity to submit the cruise lines they have tried and in turn an opportunity for members to ask questions about those cruise lines they haven't tried.