Oldworldtraveller

What does 2016 hold for us

2016 is almost here. What will will it bring for us all?

Thomson have extended their flight ban to Sharm el Sheikh until the 23rd March. Does that mean that no cruises will call there and will this extend to other ports of call such as Safaga, Port Said, Alexandria etc.

How many of you already have cruises booked for 2016. There are a number of new ships making an appearance, including Harmony of the Seas, the worlds largest cruise ship. Ovation of the Seas is another in the latest line of Q class ships from RCI. Are you on any of them?

Finally, lets make the forum a happy place. Put squabbles and differences in the past. Make it a place where people come to share their experiences not to snipe and ridicule others. Just as always my opinion.

Thomson have extended their flight ban to Sharm el Sheikh until the 23rd March. Does that mean that no cruises will call there and will this extend to other ports of call such as Safaga, Port Said, Alexandria etc.

How many of you already have cruises booked for 2016. There are a number of new ships making an appearance, including Harmony of the Seas, the worlds largest cruise ship. Ovation of the Seas is another in the latest line of Q class ships from RCI. Are you on any of them?

Finally, lets make the forum a happy place. Put squabbles and differences in the past. Make it a place where people come to share their experiences not to snipe and ridicule others. Just as always my opinion.

I would agree wholeheartedly with your last sentence,some people seem to try and outdo each other we do not need this on which is on the whole a friendly forum.So I would like to wish all members A Happy and prosperous New Yearwink.png

Hi   I have booked a river cruise on the River Danube in the summer and a land based holiday in Spain in May.  I may consider an ocean cruise in late summer/autumn but I am still considering having a further river cruise at this time of year.  I am becoming a convert to this style of vacation, the cruise ambience on these boats is more to my liking as many of the ocean cruise lines believe that bigger is better.

Having gone through recent posts on the forum I have this horrible feeling that 2016 will continue to give us squabbles, slanging matches and one upmanship in threads rather than useful, pleasant and entertaining advice, guidance and social conversation. I only hope I am wrong or one of my new year resolutions may wel. Be to keave the forun alone.

Happy cruising to all in 2016 and I shall be on a ship somewhere during the year but I am not saying when. I hope you all enjoy brilliant New Year celebrations but don't get too merry, and definitely not if you are driving home. smile.png

Hi OWT,

Since you ask, 2016 will see us "cruising" Route 1 in California from San Diego to San Francisco, in a rental car, before boarding ship to visit the Hawaiian Islands and Samoan Islands. Disembarking in Auckland, New Zealand, we then tour the Northern tip of that wonderful country (the one area we didn't get to see on our last visit) before our return via Hong Kong. We then have a wedding to attend in Ireland, followed by a cruise to Iceland and Ireland, our granddaughter's 5th birthday in Scotland and our customary caravan tour of France, accessed from Northern Spain, in the early Summer. Edinburgh Festival in August, followed by the grandson's 8th birthday in Scotland at the end of September.

Other than that, no plans........

Happy (and amicable) New Year to all.

DavidH

Reading recent posts we can conclude that the wishes for a "happy forum" in 2016, are already "well down the pan".

nearly 2016 I wish you all a happy new year - I am so looking forward to cruising next year nothing booked as yet will start looking soon. it is always nice to have something to look forward to and lose a stone before I go.  

I joined this forum almost a year ago now but found that there were one or two members who appeared to be throwing their weight about and I posted to say so.

Despite responses from some of the more pleasant members on here (and there does appear to be quite a few), I moved on to look at other cruise forums and even joined a couple.

I still pop in and read this forum from time to time but at the moment, a certain individual is still hogging the lime light. 

He is obviously not popular with some members but others seem to like him.

As he mentioned that I looked at his profile back in January (his wasn't the only one that interested me), I clicked on the link to his blog yesterday.

It's full of good cruising info for the intrepid traveller and well written.

However, the suggestion seemed to be that one should look at the 'forums revealed' section so having plenty of time on my hands at the moment, I did.

Having read it in it's entirety, I think I made the right decision and will just read this forum in 2016 as I did in 2015, unless something changes of course.

Tumbling, there is nothing wrong per se in an individual 'hogging the limelight' as it were. Indeed his information and knowledge is interesting to fellow cruisers. However, in spite of the volume of his posts, the constant digs and swipes at particular people made by this person should not be allowed to continue. If there were no antagonistic and goading jibes from this person, there would be no responses. And if everyone read the blog in question, they would understand exactly what is going on and what is still going on ad infinitum from this person on this forum. Silence the source and you will have a happy forum.

Guest 132LK132

Tumbling, there is nothing wrong per se in an individual 'hogging the limelight' as it were. Indeed his information and knowledge is interesting to fellow cruisers. However, in spite of the volume of his posts, the constant digs and swipes at particular people made by this person should not be allowed to continue. If there were no antagonistic and goading jibes from this person, there would be no responses. And if everyone read the blog in question, they would understand exactly what is going on and what is still going on ad infinitum from this person on this forum. Silence the source and you will have a happy forum.

I am in total agreement with you Fudge. There are constant jibes and postings on this forum from said individual.

When he starts a post with the words ..........'It came to my attention....... ' or 'I read elsewhere...............' etc etc - you can be assured that he is taking what he has gleaned from another forum to post a jibe.

Recently he posted a picture of a coffee machine on Viking Star and then took a swipe at another cruiser who used their own coffee pods on their respective cruise. He also took a sleight on the fact that a certain cruiser's suit case got lost in transit. He has referred to the 4,5kg weight of his jambon Iberia gadget saying it was not an issue to bring home because they flew BA - another sleight towards one of his targets that chose to fly with a budget airline that had strict luggage restrictions! It goes on and on! Subtle goads, jibes etc etc that most cannot see - therefore to get a true background to the situation and an explanation as to why member's will never attain a happy forum whilst this man does what he does, I would suggest to do  what Tumbling has already done and seen for her / his self and read his blog. The contents are so nasty that the admin as an initial step requested that he remove it as the signature from his posts.

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/04/26/cruising-mates/

I am in total agreement with you Fudge. There are constant jibes and postings on this forum from said individual.

When he starts a post with the words ..........'It came to my attention....... ' or 'I read elsewhere...............' etc etc - you can be assured that he is taking what he has gleaned from another forum to post a jibe.

Recently he posted a picture of a coffee machine on Viking Star and then took a swipe at another cruiser who used their own coffee pods on their respective cruise. He also took a sleight on the fact that a certain cruiser's suit case got lost in transit. He has referred to the 4,5kg weight of his jambon Iberia gadget saying it was not an issue to bring home because they flew BA - another sleight towards one of his targets that chose to fly with a budget airline that had strict luggage restrictions! It goes on and on! Subtle goads, jibes etc etc that most cannot see - therefore to get a true background to the situation and an explanation as to why member's will never attain a happy forum whilst this man does what he does, I would suggest to do  what Tumbling has already done and seen for her / his self and read his blog. The contents are so nasty that the admin as an initial step requested that he remove it as the signature from his posts.

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/04/26/cruising-mates/

"Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure; men love in haste but they detest at leisure". (Lord Byron)

Please can everyone stop gripping about SR as many of the complaints are unfounded fir the folloeing reasona:

His blog site has not been oroperly updates since 2013! He does have descriptions of recent cruises but the actual buikd if the site is outdated.

In his cruise blogs many of the puctures appear to be taken by professional travel pictures hence the lack of people in them or the pisition of the sun indicates times of day which cruise passengers woukd not be able to take. The pictures are intersoersed by more, original, pictures but I believe many to be copied from elsewhere.

I do wonder, from the detail in the blogs, if the cruise companies have subsidised/paid for the cruise description to be incorporated into the website. Inspection of onboard pictures give little clues that passengers were onboard at the time the pictures were taken. The state of the room, often in prestine condition, woukd indicate that the photos were taken at the time just prior to a maiden voyage.

In short the website of this member can only be taken with a pinch of salt. I would also recommend that our members do not waste time continuing with threads on which these very vical members thrive. Let's keep the forum friendly and stop giving the ixygen that keeos these unneccessary fires burning.

Captain Kidd. You are wrong. The blog in question is updated regularly as seen fit by the author. You can read these updates for yourself if you take the trouble to scroll past the lengthy 'background' - which is biased of course. I have said it before and will say it again, anyone who cannot be bothered to read the blog properly for themselves what has been written, unless if course it has recently been removed, is not entitled to make uninformed comments about the matter.

As a web designer I find the site poorly designed and, basically, tacky. scrolling through the main page, which takes far too long to get to the bottom, indicates that the last update was in 2014 and related to trips. Moving round the site was not easy and, if I produced such a site, I would expect my clients to either refuse to pay or go elsewhere for maintenance.

I still say that many of the photos are taken from elsewhere or the site receives payment in some kind (free cruises) to market cruises.

I must say I will not be visiting the site again as I prefer something more professional, genuine and with greater integrity.

As a web designer I find the site poorly designed and, basically, tacky. scrolling through the main page, which takes far too long to get to the bottom, indicates that the last update was in 2014 and related to trips. Moving round the site was not easy and, if I produced such a site, I would expect my clients to either refuse to pay or go elsewhere for maintenance.

I still say that many of the photos are taken from elsewhere or the site receives payment in some kind (free cruises) to market cruises.

I must say I will not be visiting the site again as I prefer something more professional, genuine and with greater integrity.

That's fine, no problem with that. But what I do have a problem with are members giving an opinion on something others are responding to because they cannot be bothered to read the blog which would demonstrate the point they are making regarding that which continues on here albeit in a cloaked fashion, but here nonetheless, goading baiting comments which should be removed immediately. In view of recent invitations to those critical members - who are so quick to judge the respondents to this endless crusade - to read the blog for themselves, the offensive diatribes have now probably been removed so that the author is not hoist by his own petard.