Its a few years ago but I did a Norwegian Fjords cruise with Fred Olsen out of Newcastle. The port was so easy to get to and parking

was well organised directly next to the port. If I had the choice of ports to sail out of from the UK it would either be Newcastle or Liverpool. Both are so easy. I do live in Derbyshire though so both these ports are so much closer for me as well.

Hi   I live in Newcastle and have used the Port of Tyne which is about seven miles down stream from Newcastle upon Tyne.  The parking and access to the ship are both convenient  although the cruise terminal is basic.  In addition wheels 36 if you are unfamiliar with Newcastle I would advise you to have a couple of nights pre or post cruise stay in the city, I think most visitors who come to the North East are pleasantly surprised about the city and surrounding countryside.

Hi   I live in Newcastle and have used the Port of Tyne which is about seven miles down stream from Newcastle upon Tyne.  The parking and access to the ship are both convenient  although the cruise terminal is basic.  In addition wheels 36 if you are unfamiliar with Newcastle I would advise to have a couple of nights pre or post cruise stay in the city, I think most visitors who come to the North East are pleasantly surprised about the city and surrounding countryside.

Hi Land Ahoy, I am quite familiar with Newcastle as I had relatives in the north east and had a few enjoyable days there a few years ago, failing to recognise so many places.

On the negative side I had a coastal walk that took in Whitley Bay for a first visit since 1961, and it was sad to see how the town had declined. 

So when you say the cruise terminal is basic, is that undercover with no seating?