Food Quality

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What the hell is this? Looks like the detritus left from a liver transplant...if that came to me at dinner I'd be sending it back to see if it could be resuscitated..

Actually we have had the opposite experience,we have sailed twice this year with P&O Aurora and Oceana at every meal time we were always warned by our waiter to be careful as the plates where HOT

Hi Rodger Not for me I'm afraid...whether it's the modern way or not...I don't like mine either rare or burnt...I'm a cook it right through man.   That's what kitchen thermometers were invented for

Posted Images

Guest Solent Richard

Evening Richard

Did you really eat that?

I would have quoted you but that picture actually made me feel sick so didn't want to reproduce it.

I've seen more appetising roadkill

Each to their own

Hi Terminator.

24398269095_66ebe5d70c_z.jpg

While we are all entitled to our opinions you cannot deny that that was served on a ship renowned for its food quality...

23979623854_6d8b2c9f8a_z.jpg

What is more it was being enjoyed by many passengers whose country produce high quality beef as standard fare.

And the bottom line for me was that I savoured more of the available flavours because that is what I appreciate in meats.

I'd be interested to learn how you feel about eating uncooked foods?

Here is another delicacy served on board the same ship...

24525536121_4ec0339ec9_z.jpg

Carpaccio de Saint Jaques. (Raw Scallops to the uninitiated) wink.png

Hi Terminator.

24398269095_66ebe5d70c_z.jpg

While we are all entitled to our opinions you cannot deny that that was served on a ship renowned for its food quality...

23979623854_6d8b2c9f8a_z.jpg

What is more it was being enjoyed by many passengers whose country produce high quality beef as standard fare.

And the bottom line for me was that I savoured more of the available flavours because that is what I appreciate in meats.

I'd be interested to learn how you feel about eating uncooked foods?

Here is another delicacy served on board the same ship...

24525536121_4ec0339ec9_z.jpg

Carpaccio de Saint Jaques. (Raw Scallops to the uninitiated) ;)

Good evening Richard and welcome back.

I cannot ever remember having had any raw meat..and at my age I very much doubt I will start now.

Enjoy your raw meat..I'll still stick with my cooked version.

Guest Solent Richard

This one looks like it has been cooked and rested just right !!

Good afternoon Susan.

Thank you most kindly for your observation which in reality supports exactly the point I have been making.

The joint was served on Azura in '17' speciality Restaurant and had been previously frozen - thus forcing both blood and juices out of the joint before it ever saw heat.

Guest Solent Richard

Good evening Richard and welcome back.

I cannot ever remember having had any raw meat..and at my age I very much doubt I will start now.

Enjoy your raw meat..I'll still stick with my cooked version.

Hi Terminator.

Thanks for the welcome back.

When I was a youngster I was a fussy eater. I then joined the Royal Navy where the chefs weren't as considerate towards my fads as my mother was. Maybe I have a lot to be thankful for.

Another delicacy on Riviera was the Carpaccio of Octopus...

23979633074_6584ed2bb4_z.jpg

I really do enjoy my food and, having attended a Cordon Bleu acredited cookery school,  I do tend to appreciate the finer points of cooking.

Guest suespud

Good afternoon Susan.

Thank you most kindly for your observation which in reality supports exactly the point I have been making.

The joint was served on Azura in '17' speciality Restaurant and had been previously frozen - thus forcing both blood and juices out of the joint before it ever saw heat.

Joints/steak should be rested and kept warm for about 10 to 30 mins depending on size, before being served. The juices kept for a jus/sauce or gravy.

Then the joint would not be standing in a pool of blood, or the steak would not have blood oozing out of it when served on a plate.

The picture you posted, had the correct "look" with no pools of blood. and that is what I was commenting on.

I do like some raw food....Carpaccio is a favourite..Tuna or Beef. I have not had raw scallops..they don't appeal.

I had steak tartare at Jamie Oliver's in Cardiff....didn't like it.

I do like oysters...ate loads in Oban last year and have them often from Latimers. ( local award winning fishmongers)

Guest Solent Richard

Joints/steak should be rested and kept warm for about 10 to 30 mins depending on size, before being served. The juices kept for a jus/sauce or gravy.

Then the joint would not be standing in a pool of blood, or the steak would not have blood oozing out of it when served on a plate.

The picture you posted, had the correct "look" with no pools of blood. and that is what I was commenting on.

I do like some raw food....Carpaccio is a favourite..Tuna or Beef. I have not had raw scallops..they don't appeal.

I had steak tartare at Jamie Oliver's in Cardiff....didn't like it.

I do like oysters...ate loads in Oban last year and have them often from Latimers. ( local award winning fishmongers)

Nice to get a prompt reply.

But as I said, the meats on P&O are all frozen - hence the blood, and many juices, were forced out.

I'd be delighted to learn of any restaurant that serves a chateaubriand - or any steak for that matter -  freshly cooked and left to stand for 30 minutes before serving.

Hi Terminator.

Thanks for the welcome back.

When I was a youngster I was a fussy eater. I then joined the Royal Navy where the chefs weren't as considerate towards my fads as my mother was. Maybe I have a lot to be thankful for.

Another delicacy on Riviera was the Carpaccio of Octopus...

23979633074_6584ed2bb4_z.jpg

I really do enjoy my food and, having attended a Cordon Bleu acredited cookery school,  I do tend to appreciate the finer points of cooking.

Hello again

The picture of the octopus is very appealing as it looks attractive.

They say you eat with your eyes.

I believe my so called formative years may be to blame for my reticence in trying these ( to me) undercooked and raw foods.

Everything was well done in my childhood probably due to the poor quality of the meat we could afford.

One of my favourites even to this day is a slow cooked beef brisket with mums recipe gravy.

Guest suespud

Nice to get a prompt reply.

But as I said, the meats on P&O are all frozen - hence the blood, and many juices, were forced out.

I'd be delighted to learn of any restaurant that serves a chateaubriand - or any steak for that matter -  freshly cooked and left to stand for 30 minutes before serving.

I agree, steaks or chateaubriand shouldn't need to stand 30 mins...that's why I said 10-30 mins for steaks to joints...

This chateaubriand was rested for just under 10 mins, the chef said. ( Ramside Hall, Durham)

Still very juicy..but no blood pools on the plate. post-174-0-43359500-1453749358_thumb.jpg

Can anyone tell me why 17, on Azura, was supposed to be so good? I dined there and found it to be one of the worst dining experiences I ever had. Even the staff were so far up themselves they could not be polite to their customers.

I must agree with Suespud and Terminator in saying that plates shoukd not have pools of blood on them for any reason.

• 2 months later...

This year we have been on Azura in the Caribbean, Britannia in the Bay of Biscay and Ventura for Potygal, Spain and Morrocco.

What we noticed on all was the lower quality of the food served but on Ventura this was combined with it only being served warm rather than hot. On a 14 day cruise only three dinners could be classed as hot.

Informed the Maitre D but without response or apparent action this seemed a waste of time. 

Anyone else noticed this trend (presumably to save money)

Based on my last two cruises the food has gone down hill, in quality and quantity, especially in the resurant, got better food in the conseratory, the quantity though or lack of it was most noticeable.