Never been on a cruise

Hi Dan, welcome to the forum. I'd be more than happy to offer any advice or answer any questions you might have with you being new to cruising. It can be confusing booking your first cruise as it's so different to booking a land based holiday. I agree with vamp above that P&O are an excellent choice for families and would be a good place to start. I'd also recommend Royal Caribbean however again like vamp as for families they are brilliant. P&O are great for families but their facilities are no way near as good as Royal Caribbean for older children and teenagers.  

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the forum! There are different options depending on your budget / childrens ages / where you fancy sailing to. Our first cruise as a young family was with P&O Cruises and it was wonderful, plenty for kids and adults to do. There are bigger, more 'fun' ships geared up for families like Royal Caribbean and NCL, if you can get a good (or free) drinks package that would definitely save you some £££'s. 

Hope this helps :)

Hi Dan

Welcome to the forum. I would hesitate in recommending a particular cruise line as I know nothing about you, your likes and dislikes. People are liable to recommend their favourite cruise line to you which in all honesty may not be at all to your tastes. For an overview I would say families who want to enjoy themselves and have fun should try looking at Royal Caribbean, NCL, Carnival, and the larger ships of Costa and MSC. If the children are over 13/14 then add Celebrity and Princess into the equation. Most cruise ships in todays world offer a similar product.

Like Pesky, I would suggest you look at when you can go and where you wish to go. You and your family may want holidays that are more sun based or those that are more cultural - or both. As many have said the type of ship depends on the age range of your children. I would certainly suggest you talk to Bolsover as I am sure they would be able to make some excllenvrecommendations.

Welcome to the forum.

• 3 weeks later...

hi dan, I travelled with p&o on azura last year and took my 2 boys who were 4 &8 they absolutely loved every minute of it especially the kids clubs, they also took advantage of childrens tea in the buffet late afternoon which ment they could enjoy the kids club while we were able to enjoy our evening meal. they are made to feel so welcome on board and the staff are fantastic with them, the can not wait to go again . dependent on your children's ages they also offer a night nursery for younger children till late at night and have all facilities from bottle warmers, cots to baby baths everything you could need so you can travel a little lighter.  I have also heard that royal Caribbean are very good for older children as they have the rock climbing walls, ice skating, zip wire, and much, much more ! hope that this helps ?