Sign in to follow this  
Matilda_1

World Cruise 2017 benefits ending

I've been making enquiries for the Queen mary 2 Perth to Sydney sector in February 2017 and my TA has informed me the past passenger benefit of 'double' on board spending money will end on 30 November, so I need to make my decision this week.

I just wanted to share this with anyone who was wavering to book before the end of the month as I'm told in good faith this isn't one of those 'hurry must end' things that is extended time & again!

Thanks smile.png

Guest Solent Richard

I've been making enquiries for the Queen mary 2 Perth to Sydney sector in February 2017 and my TA has informed me the past passenger benefit of 'double' on board spending money will end on 30 November, so I need to make my decision this week.

I just wanted to share this with anyone who was wavering to book before the end of the month as I'm told in good faith this isn't one of those 'hurry must end' things that is extended time & again!

Thanks smile.png

Good morning Matilda.

I have to confess that I hadn't realised that there was a 'formula' for benefits on World Cruise sectors. having done many, on both Cunard and P&O, I've just accepted the 'headline' OBCs available.

In the event you do book, and would like some tips on how to do Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne or Sydney, give me a shout.

High point views from Sydney Bridge...

16518836659_76cdbbf97f_z.jpg

...and from the Eureka Tower in Melbourne...

16795652185_09260c7810_z.jpg

Hi Solent Richard,

Thanks for sharing these photos and offering your advice...I'm certainly going to need it! I have been doing my research for some time where Perth & Sydney are concerned, but any personal recommendations you could make for Adelaide and Melbourne would be greatly appreciated.
In Adelaide I've been contemplating either a wine tour in Barossa Valley, (I like wine!), or Cleland Wildlife Park (would love to see Koalas & Kangaroos up close). In Melbourne I'm open to suggestions to be honest, I'd love to have a good look round the city centre itself, but please let me know if there's a must-see here!

Many thanks in advance.

Matilda

Guest Solent Richard

Good morning Matilda.

We did the Barossa Valley tour: I guess we are in perfect harmony over wine: my favourite Barossa is a Shiraz from the Bethany Estate.

The tour we were on included a visit to the Jacob's Creek Vineyard...

13290464814_375407c1e6_z.jpg

The other part of the tour took us to the town of Hahndorf which is a great favourite in the area and is the oldest German settlement in Australia almost untouched by time.

It's a good choice to take an excursion from Adelaide as the ship docks a considerable distance from the city.

I'll deal with Melbourne tomorrow.

Guest Solent Richard

Good afternoon Matilda.

AS promised here are my tips for Melbourne.

Head initially for Federation Square...

23140829095_3ea7f17557_z.jpg

Very easy to find as its central and opposite Flinders Street Railway Station.

There is an outstanding Visitor Centre on the square who will give you all sorts of information.

The square is also a buzzy centre of entertainment, fun and food. When we were there they were promoting the Game of Thrones with original cast...

22746667847_5fe358f060_z.jpg

As mentioned earlier, the Eureka Tower is a must...

23176729331_d7fb3926ec_z.jpg

Head up to level 88 and the Sky Deck. Why not even try 'The Edge', a glass cube  that extends out from the Sky Deck and suspends you 300 metres over Melbourne...

23151194952_82031c721e_z.jpg

One of the views...

23114705116_45c5cb9cec_z.jpg

Obviously no amount of photographs can do justice to this vibrant city but very close to Eureka Tower and to Federation Square is a park complex containing Queen Victoria Gardens and the Botanical Gardens. A couple of places to visit within the park is the Sidney Myer Music Bowl...

23151200212_3de4f6ccdf_z.jpg

(Yes that's Solent Barbara on stage)

And Melbourne's Shrine of Remembrance...

22772853229_c41afee2e3_z.jpg

...a truly magnificent memorial to Australia's war dead. It is open daily...

22772853529_d6d01fe3e7_z.jpg

...and also offers some great views over melbourne...

22746667437_f8a22d737d_z.jpg

I trust that has wetted your appetite for Melbourne and i didn't mention the tram to the old Port Area.

Hello again SR,

A huge thank you for sharing this with us, I absolutely love to see photos of destinations it certainly helps when i'm planning. Looks the the wine tour is a definite then! Can I ask did you book this independently or through Cunard?

I had intended to visit Federation Square, it looks great. I'm not sure if I could be persuaded to enter 'The Edge' it looks terrifying but I guess the view is worth it. The gardens do sound wonderful I hadn't realised there was so much to do within the vicinity.

Thank you once again for your advice.