Just picked up information from P&O about new check in times. http://bit.ly/1Y8Vqwv  Lucky we can now check in anytime from 1pm, I would hate to have to try and arrive 3pm or later, one accident on the motorway and we could easily miss the ship. Could be difficult for some passengers who stay at hotels the night before and then can't check in until 3pm or later. 

I can understand where they're coming from here. They're clearly trying to maintain the emphasis on encouraging passengers to stick to their specified times but acknowledging that it is not always possible, and so reassuring passengers that if you turn up earlier, you will be looked after. They're clearly covering themselves by saying that there might be a wait if you do so but that they will get to you as soon as possible. It seems like a decent plan but I don't think it's too different to what's already in operation from what I've read.

Ok, so a problem we never had is not a problem anymore. Yippee!

I have seen quite a few posts about rigid check in times and people worrying about the whys and wherefores, but we have never taken any notice. Our arrival is usually dictated by the time our daughter can give us a lift, that generally means early. So it is tongue.png what it is.

Don't you dare turn us away as we have and are about to spend lots of money on your ship. Deal with my arrival at whatever time I want to arrive.

Don't worry folks, relax you're on holiday.

RayO

As I have said, many times before, the problem is using Ocean and QE terminals. We have never had any problems with Mayflower Terminal which, following refit, is even better now. If Southampton Terminals cannot deliver th service we as customers deserve then the shipping companies shoukd move to other ports.

Having just tried the new check  procedure  2 weeks ago I definitely recommend it , our time was 1pm we arrived at 12.15, straight up the escalator a card is issued  you take a seat, 1pm they started boarding by calling your colour card and the number, the suite and Ligarian passengers went straight through and then we were the 2nd lot called  we were ushered to the desk dealt with and onto the ship.

No problem if you come early you won't be turned away but you will have to take a seat and wait until your colour  and number is called, all the cases were placed outside the doors of the cabins and iMO everything was much better.CG

I think P&O are generating uncertainty over boarding. Have a sense not all is well with the company, particularly with respect to customer service. Perhaps that is why I now cruise not with P&O, but with Saga. As to boarding with them, a car arrives to pick you up from home at a set time and delivers you to Southampton, and it has always worked fine in the past. Providing the ship is ready you board immediately. After losing confidence in P&O have now four cruises booked with Saga over the next 14 months, the first starting in a matter of days. Can't wait.

I think P&O are generating uncertainty over boarding. Have a sense not all is well with the company, particularly with respect to customer service. Perhaps that is why I now cruise not with P&O, but with Saga. As to boarding with them, a car arrives to pick you up from home at a set time and delivers you to Southampton, and it has always worked fine in the past. Providing the ship is ready you board immediately. After losing confidence in P&O have now four cruises booked with Saga over the next 14 months, the first starting in a matter of days. Can't wait.

I think that is what one would call "voting with your feet" - and quite right too!!

DavidH

That's the way to get results, move your business.

Has not he time come when all pasengers are treated the same instead of the class system which favours the high loyalty tiers? Loyalty can provide discount benefits and other things but should not include embarkation as disembarkation. Pricing my just mean that a late booking for a suite is cheaper than a select balcony booking made 12 months in advance so why should those passengers, who have benefited fron heavy discounting, take precidence over other passengers?

I am afraid I can't agree with you Captain Kidd re the loyalty benefits, why should the people who have supported these companies time and time again not have some rewards for their loyalty?

WE have supported PO for years we like what they offer and spent thousands of pounds in the process so yes we like the benefits such as priority boarding 10% of off our spend, etc. as Tesco says 'every little helps' .

Yes, we are not able to book in advance now and take advantage of saver fares but we still support PO twice a year and we do spend when on board so what goes around comes around and a little bit of loyalty .

I remember the fuss caused when they changed the Portunis club to the Peninsular club, those who hadn't sailed with PO for three years lost their points, but if you haven't sailed with them for 3 years you can hardly call yourself loyal customers now can you?

By the way it was the Mayflower terminal we sailed from this time.

Aslaw, there is certainly no uncertainty generated by PO regards boarding times , they state your boarding times and now boarding does not commence until 1pm they are given a coloured card which relates to their boarding time they are not turned away, just asked to take a seat, when boarding commences you are called by the colour of your card, and the other bonus is the lifts are free as the staff have placed all but the late comers cases out side their cabins a very efficient operation imo not at all difficult.CG

Twisting this round the other way, I would personally like to commence boarding an hour later so that when we return we do not have to vacate the cabin until 9 instead of 8. If you have a later disembarkation time you have to roam round the ship for somewhere to sit with all your hand luggage not to mention queuing for the toilets ( if they're working). If you go for breakfast at 7 leaving hand luggage in the cabin by the time you return the beds are stripped & you feel obliged to get out of the way even if it's only 7.30. I always feel that I'm an inconvenience on the final day. Is it just me?

Twisting this round the other way, I would personally like to commence boarding an hour later so that when we return we do not have to vacate the cabin until 9 instead of 8. If you have a later disembarkation time you have to roam round the ship for somewhere to sit with all your hand luggage not to mention queuing for the toilets ( if they're working). If you go for breakfast at 7 leaving hand luggage in the cabin by the time you return the beds are stripped & you feel obliged to get out of the way even if it's only 7.30. I always feel that I'm an inconvenience on the final day. Is it just me?

A few years ago they trialed a system where you could leave all your hand luggage in your cabin, go to breakfast then pick up your bags as you were due to leave the ship. They just asked that all luggage was left on the sofa in the cabin so the stewards could strip the beds ,you could also use the bathroom in your cabin. It was the best and most relaxed disembarkation we had ever had. Such a shame they didn't roll it out.

• 2 weeks later...

I am quite knowledgeable re the embarkations  of the different shipping lines and berths.  The problem with P&O (and Cunard) is that they are trying to get more people through quicker, even though the ships are getting bigger.  and in a lot of opinions of the staff at the port are (as everybody) trying to cut costs.  Royal Carribean (which includes Celebrity) have larger ships,  but they open 'check-in' at 10:30 usually,  whereas P&O and Cunard are now opening 'check-in' later.

If you allow a back log of passengers to build up you will not clear them until almost sailing time,  thanks to all the shoreside staff turning somersaults to achieve this.

The 'check-in' opening times are governed by the shipping companies.....

I am afraid I can't agree with you Captain Kidd re the loyalty benefits, why should the people who have supported these companies time and time again not have some rewards for their loyalty?

WE have supported PO for years we like what they offer and spent thousands of pounds in the process so yes we like the benefits such as priority boarding 10% of off our spend, etc. as Tesco says 'every little helps' .

Yes, we are not able to book in advance now and take advantage of saver fares but we still support PO twice a year and we do spend when on board so what goes around comes around and a little bit of loyalty .

I remember the fuss caused when they changed the Portunis club to the Peninsular club, those who hadn't sailed with PO for three years lost their points, but if you haven't sailed with them for 3 years you can hardly call yourself loyal customers now can you?

By the way it was the Mayflower terminal we sailed from this time.

Aslaw, there is certainly no uncertainty generated by PO regards boarding times , they state your boarding times and now boarding does not commence until 1pm they are given a coloured card which relates to their boarding time they are not turned away, just asked to take a seat, when boarding commences you are called by the colour of your card, and the other bonus is the lifts are free as the staff have placed all but the late comers cases out side their cabins a very efficient operation imo not at all difficult.CG

I know a lot of people who lost points when they changed from Portunus to Peninsular for various reasons. Health issues meaning unable to get insurance until given the all clear. Having a family etc. with over 20 years of P&O cruising they then lost most of their points and had to start from scratch. One set of these people are now on Baltic the others on Caribbean. just because they couldn't cruise for a few years doesn't mean they are not loyal.

• 1 month later...

My friend and i decided to cruise on Ventura from Southampton to the canaries on a 12 night round trip on the 1st December 2015 . this was a very upsetting start to our holiday .

We arrived at the terminal at 2pm with an embarkation time of 3.30pm. We booked ourselves into the mobility facility offering assistance (or so we thought). We then sat there for 2 hours during which time we enquired numerous times as to when we would be embarking but were greeted by rudeness. This section was being run by we believe a Bryan Deeton? This man was totally incompetent and rude. The rude treatment was also dished out to other old and disabled people waiting in this area.

At 4.10 pm we were still waiting and had become very anxious as the ship sailing time was 4.30pm. At this time people came looking for us (much to our amazement) and we were told not to worry, all was in hand. We, along with two older very distraught disabled passengers were then whisked onto the ship having missed the muster information.

Having only made it on board with five minutes to spare, we unfortunately missed the ‘meet the captain event’ and embarkation photos, this make us extremely upset! Although we were given muster information afterwards it didn’t make up for the loss of excitement and were not given the opportunity to have photos taken which we were very much looking forward to having. This was absolutely unacceptable and made us feel like outsiders to the rest of the people aboard whom were well on their way to having a happy embarkation.

When reporting this to reception we were informed that this was not a P&O problem but a dockside problem. How can this be when we booked and paid our money to P&O and assumed we would be treated with respect as valued P&O customers?

Welcome to the forum.

This post would have been better raised as a new topic for more impact rather than your message being diluted by being added to an already retired (for two months) thread.

Having said that there are a few other threads moaning about P&Os pre-cruise shoreside procedures and P&O in general. They don't seem to be doing a very good job.

RayO