Sign in to follow this  
Guest Solent Richard

I'm on Duty this week

Very well written OWT, indeed this weekend should be about those who have given there all for their Country and the sacrifices made!!! We also need to remember those who came back from these conflicts that their lives changed for ever, some who struggle so much to come to terms with what they have seen.

It is Remembrance Sunday and in the true spirit isn't it about time that a truce was called and the day is remembered for what it should be!!!!

Having just watched the Remembrance Day Service and Parade in Whitehall commemorating the millions of allied forces that have fallen in the theatres of war it brought the following question to mind. Why is it that a thread predominately about The Poppy and Remembrance Day has been allowed to be turned into a platform for the promotion of a vendetta? What ever the rights or wrongs of the matter, and I make it clear that I take no side on it, this is not the place to air those views. Indeed I am surprised that admin have not stepped in and stopped it.

I am surprised too, this is a very "hands off" admin.

Guest Solent Richard

Hi all,

Firstly we would like to wish all of our forum members a happy New Year. Your continued support and contributions are greatly appreciated.

Secondly, please let us remind you that keeping the forum on topic and friendly is our top priority. Offensive and inappropriate comments or name calling is not permitted or required. Anything our forum admin deem as offensive will be removed and the forum member will be given a warning or permanently removed.

Let's start the New Year on a positive note & keep our Cruise Club Forum a friendly one.

Thank you

Forum Admin

Having just watched the Remembrance Day Service and Parade in Whitehall commemorating the millions of allied forces that have fallen in the theatres of war it brought the following question to mind. Why is it that a thread predominately about The Poppy and Remembrance Day has been allowed to be turned into a platform for the promotion of a vendetta? What ever the rights or wrongs of the matter, and I make it clear that I take no side on it, this is not the place to air those views. Indeed I am surprised that admin have not stepped in and stopped it.

Couldn't agree more Oldworldtraveller. 

Unfortunately one particular member, from another forum, continues to attempt to disrupt my posts and comments in the hope of goading me into a reaction that would get me a censorship from the Admin.

It ain't going to happen.

Guest Solent Richard

Back on topic, Solent Towers has a birds eye view of the Remembrance Day Parade  march past following the service at the Fleet air Arm War Memorial...

22268862093_852bf6d30b_z.jpg

It was hard to believe that for three years in the late 80's I was in charge of that and one other local Parade.

Richard,firstly well done for rising above the trolling, secondly well done for contributing to what it no doubt a truly valuable and honorable service.

To the minority of members who feel it necessary to drag someone down, may I point you towards the 'EXIT' sign?

As a member of the forum, and of the cruise club itself, I am deeply disappointed to see such personal slurs being aired on this thread. As many have said, there is a time and a place, and this forum is most certainly not the place.

132LK132 - Your comments have done nothing but come across as bitter and underhand, and to be quite frank made you look like an unsavoury character yourself. I suggest that if you have no positive input, or contribution to make that you take yourself somewhere else and leave this forum alone. You will not succeed in silencing our most valuable members who regardless of previous forum activity, bring a massive amount of information and help to this site.

Enough is enough.

I have managed to get 28 tins in so far and a few more to go…. Its a shame that we cannot sell poppies after 7th November - 4 days before the 11th.

Well done to all who have taken part and Thank you to all who have bought a poppy. smile.png

(Hopefully I won't get any backlash for posting this)

I have managed to get 28 tins in so far and a few more to go…. Its a shame that we cannot sell poppies after 7th November - 4 days before the 11th.

Well done to all who have taken part and Thank you to all who have bought a poppy. :)

(Hopefully I won't get any backlash for posting this)

Why can't you sell them after the 7th? They were still on sale in our local garden centre on Monday the 9th.

On the notes for organisers the  council for my area only authorised the dates from the 24th October until 7th November. This has resulted in the three villages that I cover being slightly down in revenue…. I collected just over £1500. 

I have had a look at other council areas and there are only a handful that are going over that date.

Must be something to do with the Sunday service and the true Rememberance Day. I think you may find too many either do not understand the meaning of the date or are of an age that they do not consider it important.

I was in education and it was interesting to note the growing number of young people who did not want to take part in the 2 minute silence for all sorts of reasons.

I concur with you PP about the 7th November. We too are down this year. Of the first 50 boxes collected in we are down on average by 15% but still have the boxes from the supermarkets and large stores to count.

One thing I did notice this year was an increase in the number of school children putting money in the collection boxes on their way home from school. This year schools were supplied with wrist snappers that apparently sold well. I had not heard of them until a child asked me if we had any as her school had sold out. The next day a smartly dressed lady approached me and asked 'Do you have any slappers?'. I smiled, and said, 'I think you mean snappers'. She laughed realising what she had said, put money in the box and had a normal poppy. I love doing the collections, it makes you realise there are an awful lot of good people out there.

Next year I have been asked to supply more wrist bands and the metal poppies. The children love the school boxes and like OWT says, the snap rulers which go around the wrist but can also be used as a ruler went really well at one school.

Perhaps the guys and girls who do the poppy stands should have access to the items in the school boxes aswell.

I shall be changing my order for next year so as to accommodate more of the different tastes that people prefer as well as the normal poppies.

Guest 132LK132

I think further clarification is required. Solent Richard was ordered by the police to remove an offensive racist video from his cruising blog. Solent Richard opened this thread looking for kudos for his efforts for this charity (and a very worthy charity I hasten to add). However, in true typical two faced fashion Solent Richard posts a picture on this thread of he wearing a poppy bearing pin that is not issued by the RBL but by an organisation called the English Defence League. Why would the RBL issue poppy pins with just the flag of England with it remembers all British servicemen.

The English Defence League is an extreme right wing organisation with severe Islamophobic tendencies that is affiliated to what the Daily Telegraph describes as the 'loathsome' Britain First - a neo fascist organisation using the poppy to promote their racist agenda.

The Royal British Legion had to voice their disapproval and to warn consumers that not all poppy merchandise was official and that they do not authorise the use of the poppy for political and partisan use.

So how can one claim to be a support of this very worthy charity and yet also support other organisations with questionable morals and engage in practices that deprive the worthy charity of funds due to duping  consumers.

So I have been slated by many for being critical of Solent Richard, however those of you that condone this type of behaviour and that on his blog, well it reveals a lot more about you than it does about me.

I think further clarification is required. Solent Richard was ordered by the police to remove an offensive racist video from his cruising blog. Solent Richard opened this thread looking for kudos for his efforts for this charity (and a very worthy charity I hasten to add). However, in true typical two faced fashion Solent Richard posts a picture on this thread of he wearing a poppy bearing pin that is not issued by the RBL but by an organisation called the English Defence League. Why would the RBL issue poppy pins with just the flag of England with it remembers all British servicemen.

The English Defence League is an extreme right wing organisation with severe Islamophobic tendencies that is affiliated to what the Daily Telegraph describes as the 'loathsome' Britain First - a neo fascist organisation using the poppy to promote their racist agenda.

The Royal British Legion had to voice their disapproval and to warn consumers that not all poppy merchandise was official and that they do not authorise the use of the poppy for political and partisan use.

So how can one claim to be a support of this very worthy charity and yet also support other organisations with questionable morals and engage in practices that deprive the worthy charity of funds due to duping  consumers.

So I have been slated by many for being critical of Solent Richard, however those of you that condone this type of behaviour and that on his blog, well it reveals a lot more about you than it does about me.

post-4943-0-03337000-1447407637_thumb.jpg

post-4943-0-41477900-1447407644_thumb.png

post-4943-0-11379400-1447407652_thumb.jpg

post-4943-0-30153700-1447407662_thumb.jpg

post-4943-0-87635800-1447407669_thumb.jpg

post-4943-0-13965100-1447407677_thumb.png

I don't know what Solent Richard's blog has to do with this Cruise Club Forum? I for one have never read it, don't know what or where it is nor do I want to read it by the sounds of things but please lets keep the two things seperate as that is exactly what they are. Too many topics keep swinging back round to his bloody blog!

I'm hoping that the majority of other users of this forum are here, like me, to discuss all things travel and cruise related, look at photos and read honest reviews, and yes, occasionally join in with the odd light-hearted conversation about 'Great British Bake Off' or whatever takes my fancy if I feel like it!

Please let's drop the subject now as we're going round in circles.Thank you all I hope you agree.

**Admin** This post needs deleting, this thread needs to be locked & this 'person' who is so intent on dragging this through the dirt needs a polite shove out the door please.

For the record, I neither condone nor endorse the actions of the EDL. I find them a despicable bunch, but this is not the platform for these discussions to be taking place. I for one congratulate Solent Richard for his charitable efforts (regardless of the source of his lapel pin) and applaud him for remaining stoic and not rising to any of the disparaging comments that have been made against him.