Come back Carol Marlow all is forgiven.

Is it me or does anyone else think the same that after promising so much by Christopher Edgington when he took over from Carol Marlow that things have actually got worse with P&O. We now have Saver/Early Saver fares being advertised many months in advance at cheaper rates than many if not all other cruise lines and standards slipping. Obviously they have to make a profit so standards are being set to the prices of £50-£55pppn for an inside and £70-£75pppn for a balcony cabin. Celebrity and Princess are charging much higher prices and seem to be filling their cruises obviously giving higher standards of which obviously a lot of people want and will pay forand making you think you get what you pay for and P&O are becoming the Easyjet/Ryanair of the cruise world. Know a lot of people who used to cruise with P&O who now say they prefer to cruise with Thomsons/Costa/MSC and Fred Olsen. The only advantage P&O have is the sailing from Southampton and feel those that prefer to do that are now having a lower standard cruise experience because of their dominance in Southampton.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a great thread and in all honesty it does raise a few questions from the posts made. Firstly what are the dropped/lowered standards that people talk about? In the old days you had bunk beds in t

Hi  I like cruising but in truth I have heard of none of the CEOs working for any cruise line, maybe I am in a minority here but life too short to ponder who is the best.  I have seen a reduction in t

They're losing business because there is more choice than ever..even sailing from Southampton. The traditional P and O ers are a dying breed so they need to up their game and I'm afraid they're losin

I do not understand this sleight on Easyjet and Ryanair, two companies that have revolutionised the airline market in Europe and caused a shakeout of the inefficient state owned monopolies that for decades gave the public a "take it or leave it attitude", while continually lobbying for "back door" state subsidies.

I do not understand this sleight on Easyjet and Ryanair, two companies that have revolutionised the airline market in Europe and caused a shakeout of the inefficient state owned monopolies that for decades gave the public a "take it or leave it attitude", while continually lobbying for "back door" state subsidies.

It was not a sleight on Easyjet/Ryanair just a statement that they pioneered a basic price flight with not the frills other airlines gave which I think is the way P&O are going and lowering the standards of the food and cruise experiences where the entertainment is not as good and varied as it once was. Now there has been an increase in quizzes by entertainment team (cheap entertainment), increase of tribute acts and even singers in the theatre company doing there own shows. P&O seem to be aiming at the lower end of the cruise market.

I wish I only had to pay £75 a night for a balcony cabin. On one cruise I did I was paying £250 a night and that was in 2009. Whilst I do think that P & O have slipped down in the cruising market I don't think that they are yet in the bargain basement category. However I do agree that they need to pull their socks up and get their priorities right and provide a better service.

This post, effectively stating that P&O prices are too low, would make humorous and pleasant reading for Christopher Edgington who is currently taking huge criticism for his ridiculous "check in" policy.

Yes I agree that there current newly introduced 'check in' policy is ridiculous but P&O seem to be stumbling from one corporate disaster to another and suppose the way P&O are going is only to expected when the Marketing Directors background is Gala Bingo and William Hill so I suppose we should look forward to betting shops and more bingo on the ships.

I wish I only had to pay £75 a night for a balcony cabin. On one cruise I did I was paying £250 a night and that was in 2009. Whilst I do think that P & O have slipped down in the cruising market I don't think that they are yet in the bargain basement category. However I do agree that they need to pull their socks up and get their priorities right and provide a better service.

P&O are currently advertising balcony cabins on Ventura in May 2016 for just over £80pppn hardly a late booking or poorer months of the year and balcony cabins at less than £60pppn or inside cabins at just over £40pppn in December.  P&O cannot expect to continue cruises at these prices without lowering standards even further. I would like to know who you think are in the bargain basement category if you dont think P&O are not there.

Yes I agree that there current newly introduced 'check in' policy is ridiculous but P&O seem to be stumbling from one corporate disaster to another and suppose the way P&O are going is only to expected when the Marketing Directors background is Gala Bingo and William Hill so I suppose we should look forward to betting shops and more bingo on the ships.

I'm sorry but could someone explain to me what the new "ridiculous" check in policy is?

Having recently returned from a 25 night cruise on Arcadia I agree that the standards are dropping especially in the dining room. However we booked early because of the itinerary and paid £170 plus per person per night.

This cruise was advertised a few months before departure at half price and eavesdropping on conversations it seemed that many people had taken advantage of that. The only perk full payers received was a free shuttle bus.

Personally I would rather pay a bit more to maintain high standards.

Come back Carol Marlow WHY!! She’s the one responsible for allowing the top tier system becoming out of hand. She made it far too easy, which is why they are slowly having to change the tier system. She ordered a great big ship costing millions that they now have to try and fill with all the competition that is out there. She was the one who introduced ‘Getaway fares’ what a fiasco that was. P&O are not in a good financial place at the moment and are having to make cuts which are not pleasing anyone. I feel sorry in a way for the new management trying to sort out the mess she left behind.

I'm sorry but could someone explain to me what the new "ridiculous" check in policy is?

Apparently now there will be no priority check in desk for top tiers and suite passengers. You are expected to keep to your check in time and if you arrive too early will have to wait for people with earlier check in times to go before you. If you have priority (top tier or suite) you are going to be able to jump the queue. Sounds wonderful doesn't it.wacko.png  

Come back Carol Marlow WHY!! She’s the one responsible for allowing the top tier system becoming out of hand. She made it far too easy, which is why they are slowly having to change the tier system. She ordered a great big ship costing millions that they now have to try and fill with all the competition that is out there. She was the one who introduced ‘Getaway fares’ what a fiasco that was. P&O are not in a good financial place at the moment and are having to make cuts which are not pleasing anyone. I feel sorry in a way for the new management trying to sort out the mess she left behind.

Dont think you can blame Carol Marlow for ordering Britannia that was ordered by Carnival Corporation when they ordered 3 ships of similar design i.e. Royal Princess, Regal Princess and Britannia. It was similar with Arcadia ordered by Carnival to be built for Holland America then it was changed to Cunard to be the new Queen Victoria but at late stage of build was given to P&O and became Arcadia. The fiasco of getaway fares is no different now just name changes there is no great difference in booking a Select fare and then at a later stage being changed to Saver for fraction of the cost. P&O are not in a good place financially because long term cruisers are now waiting for Saver fares instead of booking Select because the savings made far outweigh the difference in the cruise i.e. shuttle buses and dining/cabin choice. New cruisers to P&O are only booking Saver fares because a lot that are cruising now freely admit they only cruise because of the fantastic Saver prices compared to land based holidays and are not interested in higher Select fare. Then there are those that are fed up of P&O and have moved across to Celebrity/ RCCL and Cunard which is a great number.

Apparently now there will be no priority check in desk for top tiers and suite passengers. You are expected to keep to your check in time and if you arrive too early will have to wait for people with earlier check in times to go before you. If you have priority (top tier or suite) you are going to be able to jump the queue. Sounds wonderful doesn't it.wacko.png  

Christopher Edgington has apparently said that those in the top tiers of Peninsular Club will still get priority boarding just hope they do like Princess and dont put embarkation time on e-ticket and just Priority Boarding.

Having seen the profits P&O made last quarter there is no need to make reductions. If high standards are maintained then cabins will be booked without need to greatly reduced prices near departure. The new check in policy will have to change for all the reasons given in other topics. With the road system wehave you can never guarantee arrival times. By the number of times we have been late with disembarkation P&O seem to have the same problem with the arrival of their ships.

It is ridiculous because someone flying in from say Scotland will have their time of arrival dictated by the airline, while P&O arbitrarily allocate their boarding time and require them to wait while others with an earlier time are checked in first, despite in some cases probably having travelled only a few miles.

It is the "head in the sand ostrich" management approach that will  cause them to haemorrhage northern customers, and set them on a course to become a parochial cruise  line.

I remember once on one P&O cruise on our return to Southampton we were talking to a couple while waiting for disembarkation and they said they had just passed their house you could see it from the ship and would only take them 15 minutes to get home but they were in one of the first groups off. They agreed that it was wrong when others who had got drives 5+ hrs ahead of them but were off later and that there seemed no logic in the organisation of disembarkation group allocation.

Guest Solent Richard

Is it me or does anyone else think the same that after promising so much by Christopher Edgington when he took over from Carol Marlow that things have actually got worse with P&O. We now have Saver/Early Saver fares being advertised many months in advance at cheaper rates than many if not all other cruise lines and standards slipping. Obviously they have to make a profit so standards are being set to the prices of £50-£55pppn for an inside and £70-£75pppn for a balcony cabin. Celebrity and Princess are charging much higher prices and seem to be filling their cruises obviously giving higher standards of which obviously a lot of people want and will pay forand making you think you get what you pay for and P&O are becoming the Easyjet/Ryanair of the cruise world. Know a lot of people who used to cruise with P&O who now say they prefer to cruise with Thomsons/Costa/MSC and Fred Olsen. The only advantage P&O have is the sailing from Southampton and feel those that prefer to do that are now having a lower standard cruise experience because of their dominance in Southampton.

Wow, after the rant against Cunard whatever will come next.

Seriously though this could have the makings of a good debate. The only problem I see is that the comparisons aren't really conducive. Surely Celebrity and Princess operate in a different market from P&O - okay, they send two or three ships each to poach the British summer season - but their main markets are well away from P&O's B&B market.

Why not test P&O against another UK operator? Fred Olsen springs to mind.

Guest Solent Richard

I remember once on one P&O cruise on our return to Southampton we were talking to a couple while waiting for disembarkation and they said they had just passed their house you could see it from the ship and would only take them 15 minutes to get home but they were in one of the first groups off. They agreed that it was wrong when others who had got drives 5+ hrs ahead of them but were off later and that there seemed no logic in the organisation of disembarkation group allocation.

Wow, someone living closer to Southampton, and who can see their house from the ship, than Solent Richard.

Good on 'em I say.

Guest Solent Richard

They're losing business because there is more choice than ever..even sailing from Southampton.

The traditional P and O ers are a dying breed so they need to up their game and I'm afraid they're losing out to the new kids on the block as there's no such thing as brand loyalty any more.

Good morning Terminator.

I would of course dispute your assertion on 'brand' loyalty but the point I really want to make in this comment concerns member Pennbank's 'Like'.

This is the man who lives and breathes Cunard: or so he has us believe.

Dont think you can blame Carol Marlow for ordering Britannia that was ordered by Carnival Corporation when they ordered 3 ships of similar design i.e. Royal Princess, Regal Princess and Britannia. It was similar with Arcadia ordered by Carnival to be built for Holland America then it was changed to Cunard to be the new Queen Victoria but at late stage of build was given to P&O and became Arcadia. The fiasco of getaway fares is no different now just name changes there is no great difference in booking a Select fare and then at a later stage being changed to Saver for fraction of the cost. P&O are not in a good place financially because long term cruisers are now waiting for Saver fares instead of booking Select because the savings made far outweigh the difference in the cruise i.e. shuttle buses and dining/cabin choice. New cruisers to P&O are only booking Saver fares because a lot that are cruising now freely admit they only cruise because of the fantastic Saver prices compared to land based holidays and are not interested in higher Select fare. Then there are those that are fed up of P&O and have moved across to Celebrity/ RCCL and Cunard which is a great number.

If Carol Marlow as CEO of P&O had no input into whether Britannia was built, why would you want someone so ineffectual back in charge. I do agree that all of these late saver fares are equally as bad as the Getaway fiasco and for people like myself who book early it’s annoying when the prices reduce near the time of sailing.  

Christopher Edgington has apparently said that those in the top tiers of Peninsular Club will still get priority boarding just hope they do like Princess and dont put embarkation time on e-ticket and just Priority Boarding.

There are no longer dedicated check in desks. Top tiers and suite passengers will be able to queue jump. How is that going to work I wonder.sad.png

If Carol Marlow as CEO of P&O had no input into whether Britannia was built, why would you want someone so ineffectual back in charge. I do agree that all of these late saver fares are equally as bad as the Getaway fiasco and for people like myself who book early it’s annoying when the prices reduce near the time of sailing.  

I didnt say she didnt have an input but you put the blame on her for ordering Britannia when clearly that was made at a higher level in the Carnival Corporation when laying the order for 3 ships to be built in Italy and everything else with regards to Britannia was more than likely decided after her departure.

Good morning Terminator.

I would of course dispute your assertion on 'brand' loyalty but the point I really want to make in this comment concerns member Pennbank's 'Like'.

This is the man who lives and breathes Cunard: or so he has us believe.

Is SR goading again ?    I have the right to "like" a post without another forum member insinuating that I am a liar,  Sorry but I surely must be entitled to a reply:-

Dickie, I don't live and breath Cunard or any Cruise Brand Loyalty although I do like the Cunard Brand which makes me keep going back to it, and other cruise lines. Unlike your self who packs a company banner "We are Cunard" to take away on holiday, just for a selfie !  Could understand if you worked for the company, but not as a passenger. or to adapt Loyalty pins into earrings !

Your Post insinuates that I am a liar and must be against forum rules.

You couldn't make it up !