Just printed off the tickets/labels for this months cruise and noticed there is a weight limit of 20kgs. Has anyone had this before? weighed a suitcase with just the four evening dresses in and that is 20kg but less than a quarter full, even fly cruises have a higher limit. I know we can take more cases but we won't be able to get more in the car and 20kg does not fill a case.

Just printed off the tickets/labels for this months cruise and noticed there is a weight limit of 20kgs. Has anyone had this before? weighed a suitcase with just the four evening dresses in and that is 20kg but less than a quarter full, even fly cruises have a higher limit. I know we can take more cases but we won't be able to get more in the car and 20kg does not fill a case.

4 evening dresses? 20kg? What are they made of, lead? huh.png

You generally find weight limits are for the baggage handlers, if you've ever tried to carry a bag at 30kg you'd know why!

All joking apart, i hope you enjoy your cruise seawitch

I can understand them doing it, it just restricts the weight as don says for the handlers to have to carry. 20kg is still a decent allowance per case, it only used to be 23kg so I presume they will have done this just on a health and safety notice rather than there being any underlying motives to encourage passengers to spend more on board.

4 evening dresses? 20kg? What are they made of, lead? huh.png

You generally find weight limits are for the baggage handlers, if you've ever tried to carry a bag at 30kg you'd know why!

All joking apart, i hope you enjoy your cruise seawitch

Thanks i hope it is an enjoyable cruise. Beaded evening dresses -and suitcases are surprisingly heavy when empty. I have always worked on the assumption that if an elderly lady with a bad back can carry them downstairs and lift them into the boot of a car they are not too heavy for the porters, but it seems they are.

P&O reduced the weight down from 23kg to 20kg a couple of years ago. We always take 4 cases and a couple of carry ons which do us for up to 17 days. Probably half the stuff never gets worn but is a just in case (excuse the pun). I always think the crew do a grand job moving all the cases around and heavy cases would be really tiring to move down all ose corridors.

I have alway wondered why some take such larhe, heavy, cases with wieght restrictions even when it wax 23kg.

Seawitch - I know what you are saying and I bet there were no ensuite facilities either. On my first cruise you had to share bathrooms but at least your steward ran your bath. These days there has to be an understanding that the crew are not super human and can only manage certain weights. On both my recent cruises it was interesting to note that the women were exoected to move the pax suitcases and not the men.

As RobBar said it is down top the handlers not lifting excessive amounts, I do wonder where we are going with this as most poeple have had children in the past and I'm pretty sure most will have weighed more than 20kg, I do remeber the good old days in one of my previous jobs where we handled 50kg sacks of food ingredients and the average sack size was 25 to 32kg. Maybe we all need 3 shredded wheat in the mornings!!!!!

As RobBar said it is down top the handlers not lifting excessive amounts, I do wonder where we are going with this as most poeple have had children in the past and I'm pretty sure most will have weighed more than 20kg, I do remeber the good old days in one of my previous jobs where we handled 50kg sacks of food ingredients and the average sack size was 25 to 32kg. Maybe we all need 3 shredded wheat in the mornings!!!!!

It's all down to the "Manual Handling Regulations", that surprisingly make no attempt to dictate a maximum weight for safe lifting, but detail how a risk assessment for safe manual lifting should consider the ergonomics of the lift, and decide the allowable lift on that basis.

So on that basis a small case would be assessed different to a large case of the same weight as the ergonomics of the lift are different, but obviously for practical reasons a "catch all" figure has to be used.

The basis for the numbers probably originated about 30 years ago when the cement industry introduced the 25 kg bag, and put an end to that ordeal in the builders merchants where the "gorilla" behind  the counter slung a couple of 50 kg bags at you.

Guest Solent Richard

It's all down to the "Manual Handling Regulations", that surprisingly make no attempt to dictate a maximum weight for safe lifting, but detail how a risk assessment for safe manual lifting should consider the ergonomics of the lift, and decide the allowable lift on that basis.

So on that basis a small case would be assessed different to a large case of the same weight as the ergonomics of the lift are different, but obviously for practical reasons a "catch all" figure has to be used.

The basis for the numbers probably originated about 30 years ago when the cement industry introduced the 25 kg bag, and put an end to that ordeal in the builders merchants where the "gorilla" behind  the counter slung a couple of 50 kg bags at you.

Talking of weight, we have just returned from 2 weeks in Thailand flying with Thai Air who gave us a 30Kg allowance each.

Now that was for both the International flight Heathrow to Bangkok and the onward Domestic route to Phuket.

Funnily enough we still didn't pack more than the standard 23Kg.

Watch out for a future thread comparing this holiday with an ocean cruise. Just ned to sort out the photographs...

21720653809_a5f7e34929_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is that for all the purchases whilst away Captain Kidd??

I took 1 case away with me a couple of years ago and was really proud of being so underweight on the way out, problem was on the way back I had more stickers stuck to it saying heavy case as I was bang on the 28kg limit. 2 cases would have been a better idea!!!