Just got back from delightful cruise on Aurora but the condition of our car on the return was terrible. Having utilised the free P&O Dockside parking, found the car covered in a dusty deposit that remains stuck to the bodywork and windows. Can anybody recommend other parking sites away from the docks that are reasonably priced and easy to get to.

That is very disappointing to hear.  From which terminal did you embark, and who were the company?  I've used ABP and CPS terminals and had good service with no issues.  It might be worth putting in a complaint, especially if damage has been caused!

That aside, I've heard some people swear by ParkAtMyHouse where you park at someones house.  I've not used it myself, but you can save a fortune and often the owner will drop you off at the terminal!  Might be worth a look - there are plenty of reviews on the site too.

Because we are a long way from Southampton we usually travel down the day before our cruise. We book a hotel that includes free parking for the irrational of the cruise. We have used Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express. Friends have used the Hilton. The one night nd parking is approx the same as Judy paying to park.

I've always tried to find these deals, but invariably found that staying at the West Quay Premier Inn (which is outstanding) and paying for parking at the terminal cheaper.

I would revisit this for my cruise in May but I've already paid for the parking at the terminal :)

I am using parkatmy house.com for my next one. Got a small supplement the owner will drops off at the terminal and pick us up again on disembarkation . Works out at less than half price of the cruise terminal charges. You can do it all on line as well. Just google parkatmyhouse

I linked to this above, but have never used them before.  Have you had good experiences with this service (if, indeed, you've used it yourself before)?

Due to use them this year but unfortunately had to cancel the cruise and parking. No problems at all with the cancellation. We rebooked the same cruise for next year and did the same parking as well. No problems at all. Really friendly lady to deal with. I checked out the address on google earth and all looks great. I think it was an extra £5 each for the transfers to and from the ship. Just had to pay a small deposit then the balance on arrival. She just wants to know the ETAin due course a little nearer the time.

Due to use them this year but unfortunately had to cancel the cruise and parking. No problems at all with the cancellation. We rebooked the same cruise for next year and did the same parking as well. No problems at all. Really friendly lady to deal with. I checked out the address on google earth and all looks great. I think it was an extra £5 each for the transfers to and from the ship. Just had to pay a small deposit then the balance on arrival. She just wants to know the ETAin due course a little nearer the time.

Sounds good.  I'll have to consider it the next time we need port parking.  Mind you, terminal parking is so very convenient and when considered next to the cost of a cruise, not terribly expensive.  I think it's costing us £99 for 2 weeks which isn't so bad.

Thetre is an excellent cruise car park at Marchwood Southampton

.www.southamptoncruiseparking.co.uk.

. The car park operates exactly like an airport terminal car park, you park your car then a shuttle bus takes you to the port terminal. At the port your bags are unloaded for you and you leave them to be loaded on board the ship. Shuttle bus takes about 20 minutes to reach the docks and a bus is usually  waiting for you at the dockside when you return home. Cost is approx half that of parking dockside.

There is always a problem with dirt when parking at Mayflower due to dust from the bulk mineral terminal next door. Last time I was there in June the cars had been washed by CPS to remove the bulk of the grime. If the is is not done, they usually have a free car was set up at the far end.

Brian

Guest Solent Richard

I used CPS for my most recent cruise, indeed, I sang its praised in my review on this forum...

http://www.cruiseclubforum.com/topic/351-queen-mary-2-scandinavian-explorer/

We departed on QM2 from the Queen Elizabeth Terminal but returned to the Ocean Terminal where my car was waiting in the Ocean Terminal car park.

I would think that the likelihood of dust settling combined with the amount of heavy industrial traffic moving around a commercial dockyard an almost acceptable risk.

Always unfortunate when some other airborne debris mixes and settles but I'm sure there will be some product on the market to ease the removal of stubborn stains.

You could try using parking4cruises. They offer an excellent valet parking service. You simply go to the terminal unload your luggage and then take your car to the short stay car park where you hand it over to the rep. The car is parked securely offsite until the day of your return when it is brought back to the short stay car park. I have used them several times now without a problem. They reasonably priced too, I have paid £93 for my next cruise of 12 nights.

• 3 months later...

We used Alternitve Cruise Parking at Marchwood.  Very friendly and professional outfit.

The minibus driver helps with loading/unloading cases, takes you right to the dropoff point and was there waiting for us when we cleared customs on the homeward leg.

On paper they look miles away from the port but the actual transit time was no more than about 15/20mins.

I would definitely use them again.

• 1 month later...

We have on a few occassions stayed at the hilton the night before, and always used the free dock parkng and never had a problem only once was the very dusty. Problem with say using the hilton parking, you sometimes have to wait for them to turn up on your return, load your cases, then get carted of to the hotel unload and load your cases, before setting of for the motorway, where as if id got straight into my car on the dock i will be weel on the motor way before others have even got to the hilton. so i use the free parking.

I always park using the the cruise line's authorised valet parking company at Southampton and never had a problem - UNTIL - my Northern Lights cruise. It took 2 hours just to get out of the car park. There are major road works 'within' the port area and total chaos resulted. Whilst CPS had staff 'trying' to control traffic on the roads immediately outside the car compound - drivers within the compound were left to their own devices. This resulted in umpteen queues of cars all trying to filter into one line at the exit. One would have thought that CPS, knowing the roadworks were in full swing, would have clearly marked exit routes within the compound and attendants controlling this in order to perform an orderly exit. Otherwise - a first class service.

cheers

Harvey