Queen Elizabeth Q 516.

Hello.My wife Janet and I have just returned from a very good 16 nights on the Queen Elizabeth.Our third cruise on this ship,to be closely followed in a few weeks by another,this time to the Canaries.The weather was brilliant and two small beers became the norm in all ports.We alas had a problem with some of our table companions,this forced us to ask and get a table change.Not a nice thing to happen.

I would like to pass comment on one of the onboard speakers, Lord Digby Jones,I went to his two lectures and the question and answer session.He was brilliant.

The one down side to the cruise was two of our table companions.We were forced to change tables before they spoiled our cruise.This is not pleasant and has never been neccessary previously,and hopefully never again.

Please may I tell you of something funny that happened at the port in Lisbon.Docked behind us was Wind Surf.I went to take some pictures,it was about 29 degrees.As i walked towards the yacht,I removed my shirt.Maybe not a pretty sight,but not too bad.

I could hear behind me a female voice shouting.This I thought is non of my business so ignored it.The shouting became louder and more annimated.I turned to see a very short and rotund lady in a uniform gesticulling and telling me,presumably in Portugese,to put my shirt on.

Maybe it was an offensive sight.

Rodger

Table companions are my primary concern on a cruise, but surprisingly it is not a well discussed subject on this forum.

Freedom dining is the safest option, but as someone pointed out quite recently the conversation can be repetitive.

We have all sat in restaurants where on an adjacent table there may be four people dining but only one person talking, and quite oblivious to the fact that listening is also part of convivial conversation.

They are definitely there on every cruise, and avoiding them is unfortunately purely down to luck.

Guest Solent Richard

Good morning Rodger and welcome home.

It was good to follow your Queen Elizabeth adventure elsewhere of course.

While I completely understand the problem you had with those table companions fortunately it is usually the exception not the rule - well, in my case anyway.

Not sure about going topless at my age yet - maybe when I do pass the 70 year mark. tongue.png tongue.png laugh.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised the lady in question was shouting at you in Portuguese, as no doubt wandering around without your shirt you were obviously standing out as a Brit! Sandles and socks as well per chance? I'm glad I didn't see you, so, unless you're a Brosnan lookalike then maybe you actually were offensive.

Maybe your dinner companions were of a better dress standard ......which caused the problem!

Hello,Thank you Balcony Lover.Did it actually take you the full 11 days to decide to be so offensive.

Perhaps the action on the docks was a mistake on my part,possibly something to do with being in holiday mood.I think though that it just goes to show how shallow you must be if you think being an attractive adonis would have made it acceptable.

Several people off this and other forums,have contacted me to " spill the beans " as to what occured on our table.As I believe there are allways two sides,and the others cannot put theirs I have refused.What I will say though is that there are members who will back me that my dress sense at the table is exemplary.

Rodger

Rodger,

Your dress code is always appropriate and as for being bereft of a sense of humour, that really made me laugh. It may of course have been the commenter who was totally out of order with their comments. Short person in uniform I believe you said. I have never seen anyone in uniform patrolling the Portuguese quaysides and I have visited a few. wink.png

Hardly offensive, I can only assume you are a sensitive sort and bereft of a sense of humour.

Clearly "the occurnce" on the table has had a dramatic affect on you and I hope you get over it soon.

"Sensitive sort" is a personal comment - try to understand what personal comments are so that you do not make this mistake again.

Also try to understand the difference between "sense of humour" and sarcasm.

Hello ,terierian,I suppose changing a captain is a little more serious than changing table companions.

I do appologise though I don't understand " Early Booking Bob ".

It will though not come as a suprise though to Balcony Lover that I used to be called " Bob" as I am boring and live in Branston.

Rodger.

Terrierian was extremely fortunate to have Captain Inger (can't remember her married name).... She's just lovely!, and the obvious advantage of having a lady driver.....

Oh, boring Bob, I'm not shallow by any means, just a normal female who appreciates a fine body of a man! No different from the normal heterosexual male who being honest would admit the same about an attractive female.

I always book early for my choice iof stateroom, for the best price, and best obs. Booking early Princess Grill gave me $1200 on board spend on my recent cruise.

Hope the 'occurance' sorts itself out.... And try to keep smiling, it's all about fun!

Hello,Balcony Lover,I give myself ten out of ten.I gussed you were a lady and whats more a grill customer.We know our place below stairs.I could not agree more,although a little early in the morning,with your comment about us heterosexual males who like to admire ladies.Inger,who we have sailed with three times, is about the same build as the lady on the quay.We are in Lisbon again in about 5 weeks,I will seek her out and submit a belated appology.You see I do have manners.I will try to Keep smiling and posting.

Rodger.

Ha ha good for you Rodger....... I would be doing the same if I wasn't working!

Yes, I know what you mean re Inger ......not what I expected...she's very much respected by the crew, and good luck searching out your Portugese lady...maybe she won't recognise you with your clothes on! Lol.... Re the Grills, yes it's lovely and has it's advantages.. except the dining room which is more catered to couples..... As I am single one can feel out of place (plus the fact I pay double the price for single occupancy). In fact I'm on the QV new year cruise and I've booked 'below stairs' this time! Happy sunning...

Guest Solent Richard

Hello ,terierian,I suppose changing a captain is a little more serious than changing table companions.

I do appologise though I don't understand " Early Booking Bob ".

It will though not come as a suprise though to Balcony Lover that I used to be called " Bob" as I am boring and live in Branston.

Rodger.

Good morning Rodger.

Boring is probably the last adjective that would spring to mind if I was asked to describe you.

Of course, having enjoyed your company first hand I can comment from a strong position.

And on the subject, I am happy to confirm that Rodger is also a snappy dresser, both formal and informal.

How many brownie points for that? or should that read Branston points?