Do People Ever Get Left Behind?

I'm a bit of a worrier by nature which is why I always use the ship's own excursions which guarantee getting you back to the ship on time, otherwise I would spend the day fretting about missing the ship.

Has anyone seen or heard of anyone being left behind? When we were in the Fjords on Ventura, one couple's name kept repeatedly coming over the tannoy asking if they were on board. The crew started to dismantle everything prior to the ship departing and most of the passengers seemed to be hanging over the side looking for the missing couple. Then we saw them running towards the ship. They didn't look the sort who normally did much running but boy were they running! I think most people were quite enjoying watching this in a sort of smug, 'I got here in plenty of time' sort of way! Makes me go quite cold thinking about being left on the quay side watching the ship depart!

I'm a bit of a worrier by nature which is why I always use the ship's own excursions which guarantee getting you back to the ship on time, otherwise I would spend the day fretting about missing the ship.

Has anyone seen or heard of anyone being left behind? When we were in the Fjords on Ventura, one couple's name kept repeatedly coming over the tannoy asking if they were on board. The crew started to dismantle everything prior to the ship departing and most of the passengers seemed to be hanging over the side looking for the missing couple. Then we saw them running towards the ship. They didn't look the sort who normally did much running but boy were they running! I think most people were quite enjoying watching this in a sort of smug, 'I got here in plenty of time' sort of way! Makes me go quite cold thinking about being left on the quay side watching the ship depart!

I don't think that you need to worry about being left behind as long as you are sensible.  If we are travelling any distance from the port then we always aim to get back before the last minute, and always have enough cash so that we can take a taxi if necessary.

However people do get left behind and I think there are some  videos on line of such events.

On our last cruise we did see people arriving back in a bit of a hurry at some ports!

Mind you, when we are taking the ferry then we do tend to cut it a bit fine!

We have seen people arriving at the dock after the ship has pulled away.  One couple managed to board from a small boat, but the other time the passengers were left behind.  These were both on Caribbean Islands and the rumour was that too much time sent in bars was the reason, not delayed tours.

We often take private tours or explore on our own.  We aim to be back at the ship an hour ahead of departure, which gives us a secure feeling.  We also start with the furthest point, and work our way back.

I'm sorry but I think if you really can't plan to be back on time then you deserve nothing more than being left behind!

From what I can see and the videos I have just watched on YouTube the cruise companies do give some extra time for late passengers.

Plan well and don't be late biggrin.png

I will make sure that I have camera at the ready for any late passengers when I next cruise laugh.png

On our Holland America cruise we were able to find out lots of useful information from the destination expert on board.  This included precise information on which trams or buses to catch as well as target prices for taxis, which was very useful in Palermo!

In general I was very impressed with the amount of detailed information that was readily available, and no attempt was ever made to sell me a tour instead.

Hello,I am sorry to admit it,but my wife and I allways spend some time watching the late comers.As someone said they are not allways made for running.It is good fun.I am sure he will put me right,and of course provide a photo,I am sure Solent Richard was late back in I think Zeebruge.I hasten to add he was on an organised excurtion.

Rodger.