P&o, Cunard World Cruises 2017?

Guest Solent Richard

Just seen a link on facebook about the upcoming release of world cruises 2017 with P&O and Cunard!

would anyone recommend these to do Australia?

Too true Harley.

My wife and I followed Queen Mary 2 around Australia in March last year. From Sydney...

13290463534_53ceb296fe_z.jpg

Brisbane, Darwin and Perth...

13290260783_aa9b7af808_z.jpg

and on to Adelaide and Melbourne...

13290097475_6aafb32c78_z.jpg

If you require any more info on the ports please just ask.

Don't think about it do it while you are still fit and healthy, best decision we made when we retired  2 world cruises  with PO , no flying, wonderful places and likeminded  cruisers, what's not to like? no pockets in shrouds...

We only wish we could do another but unfortunately my OH  has health problems and can no longer get world wide insurance  thank goodness  we did it when we could.CG

Just seen a link on facebook about the upcoming release of world cruises 2017 with P&O and Cunard!

would anyone recommend these to do Australia?

Hi harley1,

Not wishing to be negative but I really feel it would be difficult to "do Australia" by spending days sailing on a ship round the outside perimeter of this massive continent. We considered this as an option but quickly discounted it in favour of a land tour organised by Scenic Tours (now just plain Scenic) in February 2014. It was superbly organised and a wonderful experience. You will never get to see the fascinating interior from a cruise ship base.

Hi harley1,

Not wishing to be negative but I really feel it would be difficult to "do Australia" by spending days sailing on a ship round the outside perimeter of this massive continent. We considered this as an option but quickly discounted it in favour of a land tour organised by Scenic Tours (now just plain Scenic) in February 2014. It was superbly organised and a wonderful experience. You will never get to see the fascinating interior from a cruise ship base.

Good observation though I would like to add the aspect of a lot depends on time and how much you want to be in one place as a ship is one spot.  When we do cruises, we always consider the cruise to be the means to sample and the ports the reason to elect to return to that area. In our case we did do a cruise around Australia and Bali in 28 days. It allowed us to sample such a large continent , visit family we had not seen for years in Perth , investigate future land options like taking a train from Sydney to Perth , enjoy days at sea and touring various wine estates. It was  a long flight but well worth it.

We will in the future take a cruise from Vancouver into Sydney allowing us to visit South Pacific Islands, see New Zealand and travel to see family in Perth.

130 days for a World Cruise is a long time and one has to prepare for it way in advance though one way to sample ( that sample word again) is to take a WC seqment

Guest Solent Richard

Hi harley1,

As always David you make such pertinent posts. I entirely agree with your observation as well.

And what another amazing coincidence. We were there the same time as you making a 5 week circumnavigation of Oz.

While I do love my cruising it certainly gave us the opportunity to take in more of that amazing country.

The highlight had to be our drive along the Great Ocean Road and overnight stop at the 12 Apostles...

13402773784_4f60d8467f_z.jpg

13402424085_ce35ff3e32_z.jpg

Guest Solent Richard

It occurred to me that it is quite feasible for any passengers on the 2017 Cunard World Cruise Australia leg to do the same journey as we did along the Great Ocean Road between Adelaide and Melbourne.

We hired a car in Adelaide and returned it in Melbourne 2 days later which coincides with Cunard's visits and still gives time for passengers to enjoy a full day in Melbourne, including the view from the Eureka Tower...

13290464354_54f0dcf1d1_z.jpg