Hi  I have only undertook three river cruises but around fifty ocean cruises.  I have two cruises booked  at the moment: one on each type.  Certainly river cruising now has a higher profile due to TV advertising.  However, I don't know whether it will ever become as popular as ocean cruising due to the higher costs, you can easily have a two week ocean cruise for the cost of a seven night river cruise.  I know that it's not comparing like with like (much more is included in the boarding fare with river cruises) but many passengers are fooled by the ocean cruise lines offering low boarding and then complain about the costs of the ship's excursions, tips drinks etc.  I wouldn't like the river cruise industry to go down this route but as a marketing ploy it does work.  If the number of passengers do not rise to meet the number of new builds currently entering the market I would expect that the boarding fares will reduce to fill the ship but this will be at the cost of a reduction in the quality of the product on offer (fewer excursions included, not including tips etc).

would love to try a river cruise experience in coming future for sure. Any recommendations on Regions?

Hi   The most popular regions are the Rhine and Danube.  I have done both and it depends upon your interests which you would find most desirable.  The Swiss Alps and the Black Forest regions are both extremely scenic and are obviously included on most Rhine itineraries.  If you prefer history and city cultural sites these are better on a Danube cruise.  I have also cruised the Nile and the sites visited were extremely interesting but I would be reluctant to visit this region at the moment.  Which is the best cruise line really depends upon what you wish to pay for your holiday.  If visiting the places of interest is your main reason to undertake a river cruise then most if not all cruise lines do similar ports and excursions so there is little to chose between them.  I have used Viking (two of their older vessels) and I thought they were excellent.  A cheaper option which I enjoyed equally was Riviera cruises the food was just as good but tips and drinks (outside those taken in the dining venue) were not included in the fare but were both reasonable compared to those charged on most ocean cruise lines.  If money is no object I have been informed that Uniworld is probably the best river cruise line but I haven't sailed with this company.

A few years ago I looked at river cruising as something I would never wish to do but now I have done a complete 180. I really like the look of some of the itineraries and the ships themselves look really impressive. I only ever seem to read good reviews and I would be interested in trying one to see it's like. My preference would be for the Danube but the Douro would also be tempting. 

I'd love to Land Ahoy, and I never thought I would be saying that but I think that's because I've never really looked closely into it. I've read lots of good reviews but a colleague of mine from work recently sailed with APT and loved it so I decided to look at river cruising again and it did look most appealing. I'm all booked up for this year so it will need to be 2016 or 2017 when I look to do it but I am very keen on the idea.