Congratulations Thomson

Guest Solent Richard

Guest Solent Richard

I'll bet that headline surprised some folk.

But seriously I was delighted to learn from a friend of mine who also writes a blog, Tom's Cruise Blog.co.uk, that Thomson had won a landmark case over it's responsibilty concerning outbreaks of Norovirus.

The case, which centred around an outbreak of norovirus on board the Thomson ship, Thomson Spirit, was one of these class actions and involved a total of 43 claimants.

28 claimants alleged that they had contracted norovirus while the remainder claiming breach of contract...

http://www.maritime-executive.com/article/cruise-line-wins-landmark-norovirus-case

"Judge David Mitchell, sitting in the Central London County Court, found in favor of the cruise line, saying that it was a very well-controlled outbreak and that the cruise line applied and implemented its systems well and that the cruise line was not negligent".

"In coming to his decision, the judge took into account not only the evidence taken from the ship but also evidence from the passengers. This included passenger complaints about not being able to have self-service food, being given paper napkins and being confined to their cabins. The judge found, however, that these complaints were deemed to be evidence of compliance with the ships’ outbreak plan".

The Judgement appears to be the first claim of its type to be successfully defended at trial in the United Kingdom and is of considerable importance to the cruise industry and recognises that norovirus is not caused by the ship.

That final line is exactly what the majority of cruisers recognise and in my view points the finger fairly and squarely at those passengers, whom we have all witnessed, have poor hygiene standards.

The issue here is that the cruise line was able to win the case by showing that it complied with it's "outbreak plan".

Any future legal challenge will have to prove an inadequate "outbreak plan", and this would be far more difficult as current UK Health and Safety Law is based on document compliance not document quality.

Guest Solent Richard

Obviously not too many Thomson cruisers on this forum judging by the lack of comments.

I'd probably say that Fred Olsen are also pleased that Thomson won the case, they being one of the biggest sufferers of the norovirus.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that all cruise lines have suffered from the virus, but perhaps some have been more fortunate than others regarding subsequent publicity. In May I thought that the control measures on Azura were noticeably more rigorous than on the previous cruise on Oriana, but these now seem minimal compared with the "mandatory" controls on Fred Olsen's - Balmoral.

At the entrance to every room there is a "hand-wash dispenser stand", while the restaurants have a double defence, with the "hand-wash dispenser stand backed up by a member of staff with a bottle.

In the toilets a notice invites you to open the door using a tissue from a box supplied, and most people seem to be complying.

Guest Solent Richard

On a slightly different tack, but still a 'well done Thomson', I read elsewhere that on Thomson Celebration they charge £13.00 a head for 'VIP' seats (?)  in their show lounge and similarly for a high level deck space to witness sail aways. 

Whatever next? Charging to use the cabin safe? laugh.png laugh.png

What do you all think of the Thomson Ships?

We have friends one couple always cruised on Thomsons and they said they preferred them after cruising on Princess so went back to Thomson's and the other couple cruised on P&O and said they thought the food and entertainment and staff were better on Thomson,s but P&O ships were nicer. I suppose its subjective and is down to personal opinion nobody is right or wrong.

Guest Solent Richard

We have friends one couple always cruised on Thomsons and they said they preferred them after cruising on Princess so went back to Thomson's and the other couple cruised on P&O and said they thought the food and entertainment and staff were better on Thomson,s but P&O ships were nicer. I suppose its subjective and is down to personal opinion nobody is right or wrong.

It certainly is subjective Sinbad. So much revolves around a person's lifestyle.

I tried Thomson and decided it just wasn't for me. 

It's a very basic style of cruising which obviously suits some folk. Kind of a niche market where they still allow smoking on their balconies (well, what few they have).

Guest 132LK132

It was just me and my facetious sense of humous that raised the point.

Middle Eastern Chickpeas perhaps!!!wacko.png

I tried Thomson and decided it just wasn't for me. 

It's a very basic style of cruising which obviously suits some folk. Kind of a niche market where they still allow smoking on their balconies (well, what few they have).

Go on tell the truth! You did like it and spoke highly of the entertainment but didn't like the mashed potato and have held it against them since! rolleyes.gif

Anyhow you could always have had some hummus!

Guest Solent Richard

Go on tell the truth! You did like it and spoke highly of the entertainment but didn't like the mashed potato and have held it against them since! rolleyes.gif

Mashed Potato LK?

Surely one means 'Pomme Puree'.

laugh.png laugh.png  

Guest Solent Richard

Actually the crowning glory of my one and only Thomson Gastronomic adventure was the 'frozen' Ratatouille.

How any cruise line sailing round the Canaries and calling into ports six days out of 7 need to serve so much frozen freshly available food beggars belief.

Freezing the vegetables /ingredients that constitute ratatouille destroys the very texture that the dish depends upon.

The funny thing was that four of our table companions had never experienced the dish previously and thought it was normal.

More recently I've heard another member had a 'veggie' experience with Thomson.

It turned out to be a load of cabbage. laugh.png laugh.png

On a slightly different tack, but still a 'well done Thomson', I read elsewhere that on Thomson Celebration they charge £13.00 a head for 'VIP' seats (?)  in their show lounge and similarly for a high level deck space to witness sail aways. 

Whatever next? Charging to use the cabin safe? laugh.png laugh.png

Please Richard ,, no ideas , next will be a charge to use the public toilets instead of your cabin. The complaints will then be  for the elevators not responsive enough to get you to your cabin.     Seriously ... a good judgement unless the CDC and UK equivalent proved the ship itself had failed hygiene standards prior and not applied cleaning as required.   

Guest Solent Richard

Please Richard ,, no ideas , next will be a charge to use the public toilets instead of your cabin. The complaints will then be  for the elevators not responsive enough to get you to your cabin.     Seriously ... a good judgement unless the CDC and UK equivalent proved the ship itself had failed hygiene standards prior and not applied cleaning as required.   

Or a charge to have those single beds made into a double? wink.png wink.png

My last cruise with Thomson was on Spirit. One evening Roast Beef was on the menu and I asked the waiter 'how is it done' 'in the oven' was the reply. Having rephrased the question I selected this dish and asked for mustard and was presented with a plastic bottle, the type found in cafes. Most staff were very good and drinks were at a reasonable price but the entertainment I thought was amateurish. Never again.

I've never done a Thomson cruise but I've heard mixed reviews. I know of some friends who sailed with them last September as they were looking for a quick getaway and had limited dates to work with. They got a decent deal and enjoyed themselves, saying the service and overall value for money was good. The negatives were that the food was not great and the ship was looking very dates in areas but they didn't complain too much as it fitted with their dates and got them exactly what they wanted, a decent last minute getaway at a good price. 

My only other knowledge of someone cruising with Thomson was in Gibraltar a few years ago. I was on board Aurora with my now wife and family and a Thomson ship was docked alongside us. I remember seeing a woman crying on a bench being consoled by her husband. She was pleading with him not to make her get back on board. We didn't ask the details (as who would) but I don't imagine that Thomson received a positive review on their return unsure.png