viscount

Christmas Cruises

Morning All,

We are considering taking a cruise over Christmas for the first time - round trip Southampton, not more than 10 days, preferably P&O.

Any details of what to expect in terms of festvities on board would be welcome. We are not overly gregarious or partying types! (70+)

Hi  I can't comment on the Xmas ambience on a P&O cruise, I have only been on two festive cruises, one departing from the UK (Fred Olsen) taking in Xmas and the New Year and it was very good.  We sailed to the Canaries and the weather once we sailed south was very good although sunbathing on Christmas day was a little strange.  The entertainment was OK, they put on Pantomime although the "guest artists" weren't that great, most of the "named entertainers are all back in the UK performing in pantomimes.  The other was with Princess in the Caribbean which wasn't quite as good, I suppose Xmas isn't celebrated as much in the USA as it in Europe.  Although I did enjoy both my partner wasn't as impressed as I was, she missed not having family around.

Although P&O made their best efforts with décor, ambience, food and entertainment: all of that ain't worth anything if the weather is really bad and most events have to be cancelled.

Our Oriana Christmas cruise in 2004 has put us off sailing roundtrip Southampton in Winter for good. You may be lucky with the weather, but we weren't. The cruise was to the Canaries, but the whole 11 days was rock 'n' roll. The only relief was when in port.

RayO

I have cruised over Christmas for the last three years - and loved every minute of it. The ship (public areas) is beautifully decorated, these are carols played over the sound system in a numbe rof places, there is a senior offices carol concert - and also a passenger choir sinigng carols - both in the Atrium. Christmas day is wonderful and the evening meal is just spectacular - the food jut keep on coming. On Boxing Day, there is a pantomime (Oh, yes, there is) in the theatre. If I wasn't otherwise engaged this year, i'd certainly be cruising over Christmas again.

Christmas cruises are wonderful - but only only child-free ships.  Having experienced hoards of noisy indisciplined children on P&O at Christmas previously - never again!

We are on Queen Victoria over Christmas.....Southampton/ Canaries/ Southampton.  We are at sea on Christmas Day and understand the Christmas decorations will be fab.. we've never cruised at Christmas before....

post-6811-0-09322100-1441005656_thumb.jpg