It has become increasingly more difficult to get hold of certain brochures, in fact some are like the Holy Grail of the travel industry.  I understand some people will prefer to use the internet I do at times, but I still like to sit down chill out and have a flick through to dream about my next trip.

So do you think the holiday brochure is dead a waist of paper and space?

I still find brochures a nice way of looking through. I'll often pick out a few brochures to read as the first stage of booking a holiday. I'll then go online once I've decided a bit more about where and when I want to go. I use the internet for pretty much everything in my life and if it wasn't so progressive then my job would be in serious danger but thankfully it's a wonderful tool for accessing a world of information in a split second. Despite that fact, I still love the refined feeling of sitting back with a brochure because it does feel more real when you're looking for a holiday to pick up a brochure and becomes part of the excitement.

The brochure is always nice to look at however the internet I think can give you more information than in the brochure. I know some operator websites give you tours of the ship etc that help me in making my decision

I agree with you on that angel, some of the sites online now are fantastic. Royal Caribbean's virtual tours are excellent for getting a glimpse of what's on board and Azamara's new virtual tool is amazing.

I understand where you're coming from sinbad. Although I am a firm advocate of browsing online, when it comes to booking, I prefer to do it over the phone or in person. This isn't to say I haven't booked holidays online as I have on many occasions but I prefer the overall experience of doing it over the phone or in person. I've visited Bolsover Cruise Club's offices a few times and there booking area is very welcoming, good coffee too if memory serves correct smile.png

You cannot beat turning pages at your leisure rather than having a screen stuck under your nose. Give me paper copies any day. I even create books of where we cruise to so I can look back later and read about the places as well as seeing pictures I have taken. Funny enough, I wa told the other day I shoukd sell them as people like reading books.

I prefer to do my research on line, because I know the information is current. We have a bucket list of places we want to visit, mostly on cruises, so I check websites for itineraries, dates and prices. By the time I speak to an agent, I know exactly what I want to book, and can compare their offers with the cruise line prices, not the original brochure prices, and decide how to do my booking. I like to speak to a person, not book online, because then there is no room for doubt about inclusions or prices. We receive brochures from HAL and Princess. I have managed to get off the mailing lists of other lines, but those two are persistent. Their brochures go straight into the recycling box!

I think flicking through a brochure is better than scrolling down a website. Ok the prices may change but the itinerary doesn't usually (unless for cancellation of ports etc) Mind you these days nearly every cruise has the same ports, it is about time these companies got their fingers out and found some new places to visit.

• 3 weeks later...

A brochure is always nice to look back on or to do the initial search for a new holiday.

Much prefer a hard copy rather than the internet, less eye strain and no room for doubt that you may have pressed the wrong button. We always book through Bolsover (they are so pleasant and efficient), never direct with a cruise company.