Fred Olsen Cancel Cruise

Guest Solent Richard

Guest Solent Richard

Yet again a Fred Olsen cruise ship has been struck down with Norovirus. On this occasion the outbreak was so serious that Fred Olsen perceived it necessary to cancel their flagship's next cruise, albeit a short 3 day affair.

The Balmoral...

17362364102_4edc5c6c02_z.jpg

...is now confined in Southampton and instead of sailing last Saturday is now scheduled to sail tomorrow.

This recent outbreak gained national coverage in the tabloid press...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3132557/Passengers-struck-norovirus-board-Fred-Olsen-ship.html

...which, it would appear, has irritated Fred Olsen's regular cruisers.

However, facts are facts and it was only last month that another trip to the Fjords was cut short after another outbreak left hundreds of passengers suffering the effects of the virus.

Yet again a Fred Olsen cruise ship has been struck down with Norovirus. On this occasion the outbreak was so serious that Fred Olsen perceived it necessary to cancel their flagship's next cruise, albeit a short 3 day affair.

The Balmoral...

17362364102_4edc5c6c02_z.jpg

...is now confined in Southampton and instead of sailing last Saturday is now scheduled to sail tomorrow.

This recent outbreak gained national coverage in the tabloid press...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3132557/Passengers-struck-norovirus-board-Fred-Olsen-ship.html[/size]

...which, it would appear, has irritated Fred Olsen's regular cruisers.

However, facts are facts and it was only last month that another trip to the Fjords was cut short after another outbreak left hundreds of passengers suffering the effects of the virus.

Does anyone have any idea why "Fred" may be suffering more than any other cruise line, or is it just bad luck?

I tend to think that handrails are the main culprits for passing viruses, though P&O also advised pressing the elevator button with your elbow.

I totally agree Terminator!

The amount of passengers i see clearly ignoring the handwash, or walking out the loos without washing their hands, the ironic thing is they probably arnt the ones who get sick but the other 1000+ passengers are all at risk because of someones inability to keep up personal hygene! gross!

We were supposed to be on the Balmoral 4 day cruise. I suppose it made sense to cancel it rather than do a quick clean & shorten the cruise by a day especially as it was a Waterloo anniversary special so a day less meant that we would have missed the last day of official events. We have changed to a 13 night cruise on Braemar next weekend - better stock up on anti-bacterial wipes & hand gel!

We were supposed to be on the Balmoral 4 day cruise. I suppose it made sense to cancel it rather than do a quick clean & shorten the cruise by a day especially as it was a Waterloo anniversary special so a day less meant that we would have missed the last day of official events. We have changed to a 13 night cruise on Braemar next weekend - better stock up on anti-bacterial wipes & hand gel!

They don't work..just wash your hands properly with soap and hot water...and keep them away from your gob at all times.

As others have said, it's the people not the ship.. NoroVirus isn't exclusive to ships, it's just more known on ships.

I disagree with the comment that cruise companies should berth the ships to deep clean now and again - I don't think that it would be logistically possible for them to do that, and in terms of the overall number of ships sailing the world, and the amount of episodes of NV reported that cause such massive problems being so small in comparison, I think they do a fantastic job as it is.

Guest Solent Richard

As others have said, it's the people not the ship.. NoroVirus isn't exclusive to ships, it's just more known on ships.

I disagree with the comment that cruise companies should berth the ships to deep clean now and again - I don't think that it would be logistically possible for them to do that, and in terms of the overall number of ships sailing the world, and the amount of episodes of NV reported that cause such massive problems being so small in comparison, I think they do a fantastic job as it is.

I agree with almost everything you say Popsicle, especially the 'berthing' situation.

The problem as i see it, and where Fred Olsen is concerned, is the demographic profile of their passengers - we all admit to knowing the virus is brought onto the ship by passengers - and the age of their ships: they don't easily lend themselves to regular hygienic cleansing.

It comes to my mind that three weeks ago when on Celebrity Eclipse I left the Martini Bar one evening to retrieve my camera from my cabin. Being a sprightly young chap I used the stairs and, on two separate levels I exchanged greetings with staff washing down the stairs hand rails.

While I agree some passengers seem to have no sense of hygiene It always annoys me when the Captain insinuates that only passengers should look to their hygiene when the NV is onboard. I have often witnessed the staff doing things I consider completely unhygienic and I wonder how often they are given any instruction or advice on how to do things hygienically.

When you have a cabin steward cleaning a load of cabins, does he use the same cloth for each cabin and work surface…. no one can be actually sure that he doesnt clean the sink with the same cloth as the toilet or next doors toilet come to that. Ships need a proper clean more often. Yes it is the people that spread germs whether it be staff or passengers but proper cleaning procedures should be followed as well.

If a few thousand people board a ship then statistically some are going to be carrying the norovirus, and the problem with this particular virus is that it can hang about on surfaces for an awfully long time. To reach the "critical break-out point" where it infects the ship it probably has to be left on surfaces that a lot of people touch for a while, so regular cleaning of common surfaces should really do the trick. Maybe we should ask about cleaning when on board, thereby "passing the buck" back to the ship's management.

Guest Solent Richard

While I agree some passengers seem to have no sense of hygiene It always annoys me when the Captain insinuates that only passengers should look to their hygiene when the NV is onboard. I have often witnessed the staff doing things I consider completely unhygienic and I wonder how often they are given any instruction or advice on how to do things hygienically.

Interestingly I am the opposite.

In all my cruising I have never witnessed unhygienic practice by ship's staff.

Of course that is not to say there isn't such practice, just that I've never seen it whereas if i had a quid for every unhygienic practice I have witnessed by passengers I could afford another one week cruise.

This has to be a classic on board a Royal caribbean ship in the Windjammer self service buffet...

18455975614_936217737b_z.jpg

Note the dirty old cap left on the table.

When you have a cabin steward cleaning a load of cabins, does he use the same cloth for each cabin and work surface…. no one can be actually sure that he doesnt clean the sink with the same cloth as the toilet or next doors toilet come to that. Ships need a proper clean more often. Yes it is the people that spread germs whether it be staff or passengers but proper cleaning procedures should be followed as well.

I don't know about using the same cloth for different cabins although they probably do but next time you are on a cruise take note of what your cabin steward uses the cloth for in your cabin, it might surprise you it did me ohmy.png not only cloths there are many unhygienic practices on a ship just look around you they are all there to be seen.

In fairness Fred Olsen is not the only cruise line to suffer with Norovirus. What is common to Fred Olsen's is that it appears to be one particular newspaper that puts out the information each time. Other cruise lines suffer with the problem but in most cases it is never publicised. The following link will take you to the site that deals with cruise ships that enter US ports and I am sure if you look over the years most lines have suffered including P&O and Cunard and of course this only when going into US ports. http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm

I think the point made about the crew is a fair one as it is always the passengers that get blamed. I can see the logic of having the ship in port for 3 days as I understand the virus dies after 48 hours so hopefully with the passenger accommodation not being used it should eradicate the problem.

I do believe that further measures could be taken in that it seems to me to be a nonsense that the infected person is restricted to their cabin but their partner is allowed to roam the ship who could be carrying the virus. Not every surface is cleaned after being touched by a passenger, i.e. chairs, cutlery, table cloths, menu's etc. so it really is a losing battle for the staff.

This I found on the internet and you too may find it interesting as well as food for thought. http://media.fredolsencruises.com/pressreleases/the-truth-about-norovirus-and-how-travel-agents-and-tour-operators-could-soon-be-sued-over-the-common-cold-1178366

Having been a victim of this virus I'm not keen to get it again!

I now carry packs of sanitising wipes with me everywhere. The first thing I do when getting on the plane is to wipe down everything around me and I do the same in the hotel room every day (cleaning staff can transfer it from room to room) I also sneakily wipe cutlery and use them on my hands regularly through the day and after visiting buffets before I start to eat.

I'm not OCD but I could go mad when I see people either walk out of toilets without washing or do this ridiculous thing of dipping their fingertips under a cold tap for two seconds and call it hand washing !!

As far as wipes or sprays are concerned, if they don't state that they kill Norovirus then they are useless. I buy Clinel which are hospital approved and kill Norovirus in two seconds along with many other nasties.

Right, time to scrub something else !!!

Interestingly I am the opposite.

In all my cruising I have never witnessed unhygienic practice by ship's staff.

Of course that is not to say there isn't such practice, just that I've never seen it whereas if i had a quid for every unhygienic practice I have witnessed by passengers I could afford another one week cruise.

This has to be a classic on board a Royal caribbean ship in the Windjammer self service buffet...

18455975614_936217737b_z.jpg

Note the dirty old cap left on the table.

I have seen passengers doing far worse than putting a cap on a table. I think too, you must have been very lucky on your cruises, but with all due respect I think a woman spots the unhygienic practices of the staff far better than a man.

Guest Solent Richard

In fairness Fred Olsen is not the only cruise line to suffer with Norovirus. What is common to Fred Olsen's is that it appears to be one particular newspaper that puts out the information each time. Other cruise lines suffer with the problem but in most cases it is never publicised. The following link will take you to the site that deals with cruise ships that enter US ports and I am sure if you look over the years most lines have suffered including P&O and Cunard and of course this only when going into US ports. http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm

I think the point made about the crew is a fair one as it is always the passengers that get blamed. I can see the logic of having the ship in port for 3 days as I understand the virus dies after 48 hours so hopefully with the passenger accommodation not being used it should eradicate the problem.

I do believe that further measures could be taken in that it seems to me to be a nonsense that the infected person is restricted to their cabin but their partner is allowed to roam the ship who could be carrying the virus. Not every surface is cleaned after being touched by a passenger, i.e. chairs, cutlery, table cloths, menu's etc. so it really is a losing battle for the staff.

This I found on the internet and you too may find it interesting as well as food for thought. http://media.fredolsencruises.com/pressreleases/the-truth-about-norovirus-and-how-travel-agents-and-tour-operators-could-soon-be-sued-over-the-common-cold-1178366

If only we followed the United States lead on hygiene and Immigration Control.

But we won't.

Guest Solent Richard

I have seen passengers doing far worse than putting a cap on a table. I think too, you must have been very lucky on your cruises, but with all due respect I think a woman spots the unhygienic practices of the staff far better than a man.

Hi Tally. 

You are correct. It was my wife that pointed out the dirty old cap on the table.

We are a great team. wink.png wink.png