Carnival Announcement Rumour Mill

I think they will announce a 10th brand you may even see a merger with another company like Louis Cruises who knows, after ordering 9 new ship builds back in March? Porthole.com interviewed Carnival’s President and CEO, Arnold Donald, on May 1 and he was quoted as stating it would be  “a truly unique offering” that would turn avowed non-cruisers into cruisers. “We may have something that, if we take it to the finish line, you’ll hear about." he added that it was not river cruising?

So take from that what you will, watch this space or Twitter or Facebook I'm sure it will be hot with the news whatever it may be.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2015/06/04/54449/carnival+corporation+to+launch+new+cruise+brand.html

Travel Weekly

P&O Cruises’ smallest ship Adonia (pictured) is being transferred to a new ‘social impact’ cruise brand being established by parent company Carnival Corporation.

The 710-passenger vessel will operate under the 'Fathom' brand, running weekly departures from Miami to the Dominican Republic where passengers will work with local communities on a range of projects for up to three days per cruise.

Cruise-only prices for the seven-day trips start at $1,540 per person, including three onshore social impact activities in the Puerto Plata region.

These can range from helping cultivate cacao plants and organic fertiliser at a local women’s co-operative in producing artisan chocolates, to working with local schools to help teach English and building water filters for islanders.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2015/06/04/54449/carnival+corporation+to+launch+new+cruise+brand.html

Travel Weekly

P&O Cruises’ smallest ship Adonia (pictured) is being transferred to a new ‘social impact’ cruise brand being established by parent company Carnival Corporation.

The 710-passenger vessel will operate under the 'Fathom' brand, running weekly departures from Miami to the Dominican Republic where passengers will work with local communities on a range of projects for up to three days per cruise.

Cruise-only prices for the seven-day trips start at $1,540 per person, including three onshore social impact activities in the Puerto Plata region.

These can range from helping cultivate cacao plants and organic fertiliser at a local women’s co-operative in producing artisan chocolates, to working with local schools to help teach English and building water filters for islanders.

Time to sell your Carnival shares.

Guest Solent Richard

Travel Weekly

Good morning John.

There is always a problem when cutting and pasting an announcement, particularly from Cruise Industry News.

Yes, I am also on their mailing list.

Carnival also specifically says that 'fathom' is deliberately lower case.

"Carnival Corporation is launching a new brand, promising to create a new travel category. Called fathom (lower case), the new company will offer what it calls “social impact travel.”

It's to do with branding and marketing.

Guest Solent Richard

Time to sell your Carnival shares.

Good morning Wheels.

I'm not quite sure why you made that statement.

The way I see it is that Carnival have taken the 'least popular' of their P&O branded ships and moved it to a new market concept.

As I often say on these forums, these conglomerates know what they are doing.

Having invested a lot of their money in building this new port, Amber Cove, in the Dominican Republic, this new venture could prove the ideal fit

Think about it, no port charges for a starter. wink.png

Good morning Wheels.

I'm not quite sure why you made that statement.

The way I see it is that Carnival have taken the 'least popular' of their P&O branded ships and moved it to a new market concept.

As I often say on these forums, these conglomerates know what they are doing.

Having invested a lot of their money in building this new port, Amber Cove, in the Dominican Republic, this new venture could prove the ideal fit

Think about it, no port charges for a starter. wink.png

Good morning SR,

The most important reason to hold a share is that you believe a company is well managed, as companies that are not well managed inevitably suffer a share price decline as there will always be an element in the price that represents the market's rating of the management.

Historically changes in direction are not good news for company fortunes, and in this case there is no logic as the cruise market is currently "booming" with the Australian cruise market increasing by an incredible 20% in just one year.

Not placing the ship in the "boom market" could well lead to a dilution of earnings relative to capital employed for Carnival (again pressurising the share price), and allow others to take market share.

Good morning John.

There is always a problem when cutting and pasting an announcement, particularly from Cruise Industry News.

"Carnival Corporation is launching a new brand, promising to create a new travel category. Called fathom (lower case), the new company will offer what it calls “social impact travel.”

pennbank, on 04 Jun 2015 - 7:20 PM, said:snapback.png

http://www.travelwee...uise brand.html

Travel Weekly

P&O Cruises’ smallest ship Adonia (pictured) is being transferred to a new ‘social impact’ cruise brand being established by parent company Carnival Corporation.

Mornin Dickie

Can see no reason why you posted the above post, Other than to criticise me for posting, you have only said exactly what I have posted but included a bit of information about        your self ! (How unusual) Quote 'Yes, I am also on their mailing list.'

Perhaps you would explain further  what the problem is with my post as you  criticise me for copying and pasting the post, even though I included the link ! to show the source.

I thought Bolsover forum was meant to be a friendly forum ! 

For those who are not subscribed to Travel Mole

Heres what Travel Mole says about it

Carnival launches 'voluntourism' cruise brand

Carnival Corporation has launched a new cruise brand dedicated to volunteer tourism. 

Adonia, P&O Cruises' smallest ship, will move to the new 'fathom' brand and will operate weekly cruises from Miami to Amber Cove in the Dominican Republic from April 2016. 

Up to 710 passengers will spend two days on board undergoing intensive training in volunteer activities, such as learning to teach English or building water filters out of clay. 

They will then dock in Amber Cove, a new cruise port developed by Carnival due to open this autumn, and spend the rest of the week helping local communities. 

Adonia will undergo a dry-dock refurbishment in March 2016. 

Cruise-only prices start at $1,540 per person, per week, including three onshore 'social impact' activities. 

Carnival said a percentage of every cruise booking would go directly to partner organisations in the Dominican Republic, but it did not disclose the amount. 

Friday, June 5, 2015

http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?c=setreg&region=2&m_id=s~_rn~Ad~A&w_id=30945&news_id=2017007

Intriguing news to say the least and certainly not what I expected from Carnival last night but nevertheless it still makes big headlines. I am surprised as I expected the announcement to involve the Far East or Australia, perhaps growing a brand in one or both of these regions to follow suit with the likes of other cruise lines making strides to get their foot in the door in such growing markets. You have to hand it to Carnival though, it is a revolutionary idea. I can see it being a success and whilst I was surprised not to see a move in the Australian market, I now hear that 2 Holland America ships are set to be transferred over to the P&O Australia line to enable them to accept more passengers so it seems a shrewd move by Carnival re positioning their assets while introducing a USP to the industry as a whole.

Having looked into this I'm out im afraid I really can't see this working. Would anyone on here pay to do this? I fully understand the idea of travelling into and supporting comunities, but to then go back to luxury at the end of the day just doesnt seem right, the point of these trips is surely to get a grouning on what life is like for those less fortunate and make an impact?

Having read this mornings press cuttings from the announcement it would seem that this is geared for American market and has already gone on sale to them, so the small bespoke itineraries have gone out of the window and we are back to concentrating on mid to large ships, it's a shame that a niche market for the well travelled has been pushed aside, I'm not a great fan of the decision and think the loss of Adonia is a bad thing!!!

Good morning John.

Oh dear I was trying to multi quote and it hasn't worked and I don't seem to be able to delete.

My reply hasn't shown which was to Pennbank and said.

There is nothing wrong with copy/pasting and I'm sure we have all done it, I included Solent Richards post as he seems to be suggesting Pennbank is claiming the post to be his own which is incorrect as he posted the link to where the information had come from.

Can anyone tell me how to multi quote after the mess I've made of this one.

They should have kept Artemis and carried out the intended refit rather than selling it and putting Adonia in its place. They need to replace it with a small traditional ship so that different smaller places can still be accessed. Lets face it the big ones can't get in and tenders can be off putting for a lot of people. 

It also means that some of us are losing our cruise which has been booked for months.  We were due to go on Adonia next March - D606 - going round the Caribbean and then returning to Southampton via some of the southern United States.  This cruise and one other has been cancelled!  Not that P&O has told us yet.  I found out firstly on the P&O Facebook page which gave a link to the main P&O site which stated that these two cruises are being cancelled.  Apparently a letter is in the post.  P&O insist that Adonia remains part of the P&O fleet even though she will be sailing for 5 day cruises from Miami to the Dominican Republic and back.  People who sail on her will not receive any Peninsular points and the currency on board is Dollars.  Well that's the end of Adonia.  We now have to see if we can find a cruise for next year to replace our cancelled one.  We are not happy!

They’re not selling the Adonia, she will be doing something very different next year but is still a P&O ship.  If it doesn’t work or if the UK market calls for her back we could see it all change again in 2017.  I agree #ImpactTravel seems to be geared towards the America market,  but what I think they are trying to do is tap into an area of tourism that a cruise passenger would never of considered and that’s the point Fathom Travel is not aimed at regular cruise passengers its after new blood so to speak. 

I wonder if they are going to put another adult only ship within the fleet to replace Adonia, or change another to adult only. If Oriana is having trouble then something should be done.

That's a good question. It does leave only 2 adult only ships and the Oriana seems to be having lots of problems at the moment. I only hope they don't get rid of all the smaller ships and we are left with only huge ships.sad.png

Guest Solent Richard

Oh dear I was trying to multi quote and it hasn't worked and I don't seem to be able to delete.

My reply hasn't shown which was to Pennbank and said.

There is nothing wrong with copy/pasting and I'm sure we have all done it, I included Solent Richards post as he seems to be suggesting Pennbank is claiming the post to be his own which is incorrect as he posted the link to where the information had come from.

Can anyone tell me how to multi quote after the mess I've made of this one.

Good morning Pyewacket.

Please allow me to correct you.

There was no suggestion at all that I was suggesting it was Pennbank's own work.

Indeed, had you read it correctly, and not through those 'tinted' glasses, you would have seen that I had highlighted the word (pictured) and then indicated there was no picture in Pennbank's post.

Pretty obvious really that John had cut and pasted it and not checked it. 

Still, nice to chat again on this forum. wink.png wink.png