What Is Your Opinion Of P + O Brittania?

My wife and I sailed on her about a month ago. Our suite was really nice, the crew were helpful and pleasant, but we felt the ship was too big. There was also the problem with the lifts, but that subject has been dealt with elsewhere in this forum.

We returned today from a week on Britannia and I would say to anyone thinking of going on her don't think about it DO IT. We have had an amazing week and loved everything about it. We are booked on Magellen in July and Ventura in October and are a little concerned that the Britannia has spoilt us for future cruises and they will be a let down after Britannia.

We returned today from a week on Britannia and I would say to anyone thinking of going on her don't think about it DO IT. We have had an amazing week and loved everything about it. We are booked on Magellen in July and Ventura in October and are a little concerned that the Britannia has spoilt us for future cruises and they will be a let down after Britannia.

There's no doubt in my mind that Britannia is a great ship. My wife and I enjoyed the recent Norway cruise immensely, and I tried to make my own response (above) as positive as I could. But having experienced other P&O ships I have to say that this recent addition to the fleet is not all perfection.

Having said that, there's nothing about Britannia that we considered sufficiently negative to prevent us from cruising on her again.

There's no doubt in my mind that Britannia is a great ship. My wife and I enjoyed the recent Norway cruise immensely, and I tried to make my own response (above) as positive as I could. But having experienced other P&O ships I have to say that this recent addition to the fleet is not all perfection.

Having said that, there's nothing about Britannia that we considered sufficiently negative to prevent us from cruising on her again.

I think that overall there are too many gushing reviews, and people are too hesitant to criticise.

The cruise companies will definitely have someone reading reviews (free feedback), and it is only by identifying negatives collectively that changes can be influenced.

Having just sailed on Azura for the first time I counted about 20% of the time that I did not wait for lifts, but of course some people with disabilities have no choice.

Had the forum feedback for these earlier ship's been more negative, then the problems regarding lifts on Britannia may well have been addressed at the design stage.

I havent been on Britannia and do not really intend doing so as it is too big for me to consider. However I would like to say that even if consideration was given to elevators on ships during the design stage, with ships being so big these days there will never be enough of them. The other thing is I feel that even the most able bodied person will get to the stage where they will get fed up with trundling up and down the stairs and will take the elevator at some stage.

I think that overall there are too many gushing reviews, and people are too hesitant to criticise.

The cruise companies will definitely have someone reading reviews (free feedback), and it is only by identifying negatives collectively that changes can be influenced.

Having just sailed on Azura for the first time I counted about 20% of the time that I did not wait for lifts, but of course some people with disabilities have no choice.

Had the forum feedback for these earlier ship's been more negative, then the problems regarding lifts on Britannia may well have been addressed at the design stage.

My comment may have appeared "gushing" but it was my opinion of the week on Britannia. Yes some may have a problem with waiting for lifts and the fact there is no central staircase but this did not bother us, we happily walked to the forward or aft staircases as we enjoy walking, after all Mother Nature gave us feet for walking not to work foot pedals in cars as some people seem to think, so we left the lifts for those who really needed them. On the subject of lifts, one thing that did disappoint me was the number of children and young adults using them, no wonder we have an obesity problem with some young people today.

• 2 weeks later...

Britannia is no3 of the recently introduced Royal Princess Class, of which I believe 7 are on order at present - nos 5 and 6 are destined for Princess and No 7 for P&O.

I intended travelling on Britannia on the around Britain next month, however my schedules changed and I ended up on Royal Princess, so given that the sister's are virtually indentical I feel my comments are totally relevant.

Much has been said regaing the lifts,starways and soot around the stern area, so rather than dwell on those I will make the following comments.

Yes these are large ships, however, once on board the size is not overly noticeable. For instance the corridors zig zag in places thus eliminating a totally straight line.

The Buffet is exceptionally well laid out, all 3 ships featuring breakfast bar type tables as an example.

I would point out that these are definitely 'Warm Weather Ships', the emphasis on the need to use the open decks (top of the ship) being very strong, if available the entertainment options are greatly enhanced - sad to say not quite praticable on Around Britain's, and visits to Norway etc.

The lack of a traditional Promenade Deck, does impact, especially if you like an after dinner stroll, or somewhere sheltered to sit.

P&O's marketing blurb is to be much applauded, as it has achieved what it set out to do, introduce effectivelty a new ship, but in reality perhaps too successful, as a lot of the 'Britishness' that has been heralded is pretty much cosmetic - the colur tones on Royal Princess surprise surprise are various shades of Cream and Browns etc.

There cdertainly was a wow factor on Royal Princess, and notwithstanding the shortfalls mentioned I would have no hesitation in cruising the Caribbean in one of the sisters with either Princess or P&O, although I must say the is a definite difference in the actual product - Food Quality / Crew attentiveness is much better on Princess that P&O in my opinion 5 star versus 3.5 star. - but that's another story.

P&O - Adonia / Oceana x 5 / Azura X 2 / Arcadia x 2 / Aurora x 2 / Ocean Village x 1 ( terrible)

Holland America - Westerdam x 1 / Volendam x 2 / Ryndham x 1

Costa - Costa Victoria x 1 ( trying to forget)

Royal Carib - Navigator of the Seas x 1 / Explorer of the Seas x 1 / Majesty of the Seas x 2 / Monarch of the Seas x 1 / Soverign of the Seas x 1 / Enchanment of the Seas x 1

to name a few

My comment may have appeared "gushing" but it was my opinion of the week on Britannia. Yes some may have a problem with waiting for lifts and the fact there is no central staircase but this did not bother us, we happily walked to the forward or aft staircases as we enjoy walking, after all Mother Nature gave us feet for walking not to work foot pedals in cars as some people seem to think, so we left the lifts for those who really needed them. On the subject of lifts, one thing that did disappoint me was the number of children and young adults using them, no wonder we have an obesity problem with some young people today.

I think it is a well known fact that children right or wrong love using lifts they are in there minds playthings,we have been on ships where children have just been going up and down in them.

I just wonder how you get to your cruise ship ? Car Coach Plane or do you walk as Mother Nature gave you feet.wink.png

Britannia is no3 of the recently introduced Royal Princess Class, of which I believe 7 are on order at present - nos 5 and 6 are destined for Princess and No 7 for P&O.

I intended travelling on Britannia on the around Britain next month, however my schedules changed and I ended up on Royal Princess, so given that the sister's are virtually indentical I feel my comments are totally relevant.

Much has been said regaing the lifts,starways and soot around the stern area, so rather than dwell on those I will make the following comments.

Yes these are large ships, however, once on board the size is not overly noticeable. For instance the corridors zig zag in places thus eliminating a totally straight line.

The Buffet is exceptionally well laid out, all 3 ships featuring breakfast bar type tables as an example.

I would point out that these are definitely 'Warm Weather Ships', the emphasis on the need to use the open decks (top of the ship) being very strong, if available the entertainment options are greatly enhanced - sad to say not quite praticable on Around Britain's, and visits to Norway etc.

The lack of a traditional Promenade Deck, does impact, especially if you like an after dinner stroll, or somewhere sheltered to sit.

P&O's marketing blurb is to be much applauded, as it has achieved what it set out to do, introduce effectivelty a new ship, but in reality perhaps too successful, as a lot of the 'Britishness' that has been heralded is pretty much cosmetic - the colur tones on Royal Princess surprise surprise are various shades of Cream and Browns etc.

There cdertainly was a wow factor on Royal Princess, and notwithstanding the shortfalls mentioned I would have no hesitation in cruising the Caribbean in one of the sisters with either Princess or P&O, although I must say the is a definite difference in the actual product - Food Quality / Crew attentiveness is much better on Princess that P&O in my opinion 5 star versus 3.5 star. - but that's another story.

P&O - Adonia / Oceana x 5 / Azura X 2 / Arcadia x 2 / Aurora x 2 / Ocean Village x 1 ( terrible)

Royal Carib - Navigator of the Seas x 1 / Explorer of the Seas x 1 / Majesty of the Seas x 2 / Monarch of the Seas x 1 / Soverign of the Seas x 1 / Enchanment of the Seas x 1

to name a few

Nothing like a bit of showing off eh?

We don't tend to do that sort of thing on this forum...oneupmanship is so MoneySupermarket darling...biggrin.png wink.png

Welcome to our little forum by the way..smile.png

The ship seems to be nothing but a floating hotel rather than a cruise experience. It is too big and, as many others have said, has design problems with the lifts. A vessel of this size will also have more cancelled ports as the size will cause difficulties in bad weather. Please, please bring back the mid size ships.

to name a few

Thanks for this.

There are a couple of ships in your CV with very poor ratings, would you care to expand on the detail?

I think it is a well known fact that children right or wrong love using lifts they are in there minds playthings,we have been on ships where children have just been going up and down in them.

I just wonder how you get to your cruise ship ? Car Coach Plane or do you walk as Mother Nature gave you feet.wink.png

Would that I could walk there Ron but Sheffield to Southampton is stretching things even for me.

In fact a couple of weeks ago I could have walked it quicker than the coach got us there as there was a major incident on the motorway just after we boarded the coach at Woodall Services to join the Britannia. We left the service station at 9.00am and at 12 o'clock we were passing Chesterfield crooked spire having had to leave the motorway and take a massive detour. For those not familiar with the location, the centre of Chesterfield is about 30mins from Sheffield City centre and about the same distance from the service station to Chesterfield. It was the first time we have had to run onto a ship and attend a life boat drill without our life jackets as there was no time to go to our cabins to get then.

Would that I could walk there Ron but Sheffield to Southampton is stretching things even for me.

In fact a couple of weeks ago I could have walked it quicker than the coach got us there as there was a major incident on the motorway just after we boarded the coach at Woodall Services to join the Britannia. We left the service station at 9.00am and at 12 o'clock we were passing Chesterfield crooked spire having had to leave the motorway and take a massive detour. For those not familiar with the location, the centre of Chesterfield is about 30mins from Sheffield City centre and about the same distance from the service station to Chesterfield. It was the first time we have had to run onto a ship and attend a life boat drill without our life jackets as there was no time to go to our cabins to get then.

Sorry to hear you had an awful start to your cruise. Better late than missing your ship thoughwink.png

I don't have the least problem with passengers using lifts as playthings if that what floats their boat (no pun intended), but with regard to Britannia specifically, we did find that those people having mobility problems came off decidedly worse at certain times. Lifeboat drill; returning from a shore excursion; disembarking at the end of the cruise, et al.

That's it. I think the subject of the lifts has been covered ad nauseam. I plan to say no more on the subject.   

This is the problem for anyone living more than 200 miles away from Southampton, in that if you travel on the same day you risk missing the ship, and the problem will only get worse.

The cruise market in the UK needs more competition, but that may be a while off yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I havent been on Britannia and do not really intend doing so as it is too big for me to consider. However I would like to say that even if consideration was given to elevators on ships during the design stage, with ships being so big these days there will never be enough of them. The other thing is I feel that even the most able bodied person will get to the stage where they will get fed up with trundling up and down the stairs and will take the elevator at some stage.

The problem with Britannia is...you haven't got the choice to use the stairs midship...as there aren't any!!!!!!!!! That was the most irritating issue when we were on her in April. My parents and our friends, both disabled were so frustrated trying to get a lift and many other passengers had the same problem. The design was wrong. I just dont know why P&O passengers weren't consulted more on the design, especially for the disabled. The disabled cabins had nowhere for suits and long dresses to be hung????

Recently went on the Baltic cruise with Britannia - overall impression was good but not great, this rating was more down to P&O itself rather than the ship. My overall review is as follows:

The good -

The ship was beautiful, our taste is for London boutique hotels and the ship matched this although I realise not to everyone's taste

The speciality restaurant's were superb, loved the Epicurian and Sindhu for both service and food

The Limellight club is a good innovation, both food and acts were good (we went twice), the food and show timing wasn't quite right but I think this will evolve over time

Theatre shows were a step above those we have seen previously on P&O

Hydrotherapy suite a godsend for anyone with spine / muscle conditions, better than most 5* hotels spas

The not so good -

Main restaurant tables for two were so close together you may as well have been on a table for 6, not what we are looking for so we didn't use the entire cruise (fortunately we loved the speciality restaurant's)

The lack of promenade deck - I didn't think this would be an issue, however in the Baltic weather the deck 18 running / walking track was often shut off leaving no alternative, probably not significant in warmer climates

Significant vibrations in the ship, a couple of nights it was impossible to sit at the bar in the Blue Bar as the vibrations were so strong it was difficult to sit on the stools. It was also significant in the cabin (on the back of the ship) whenever the ship docked, so you need to stick to mid ships if this is likely to affect you - we have never had this problem on the Azura (another large ship)

Lack of stairs in mid ship, not a huge problem for us as we rarely used the lifts (only twice in 14 days, and that was due to the long formal dress and high heels - I would have gone A over T on the stairs) and instead used the stairs front or aft as a way of working of the extra holiday calories, however I can imagine for those with a mid ship cabin would find the wait for lifts or the diversion to the stairs annoying.

Removal of priority disembarkation / baggage delivery and off-loading for suite passengers (I realise this only impacts a few passengers) - this was part of the package I had booked and it was removed without notification or price reduction in the suite fare. If this had simply been a perk of the peninsular club I would not have minded, however it was something we paid for and didn't get

Overall Britannia was a good ship - although it is big - if you don't like big don't go on it!

We had the Strathallan Suite on Britannia a while back and experienced no vibration at all. Maybe we were just lucky with the sea conditions. As for the Sindhu restaurant, sorry to disagree, we were disappointed - a poor choice for an evening meal. However, the Epicurean was indeed a wonderful place to eat and I congratulate P&O for such a lovely restaurant.

CovcityO…. sorry to say that none of the ships have wardrobes high enough to cater for long dresses…. That is the other thing I don't like about new cruise ships is the fact that they have open wardrobes, usually opposite the bathroom… I don't particularly like the idea of the cabin steward walking past your clothes with his cleaning stuff and dirty linen being carried past.

Overall I thought Britannia was a lovely ship with a great contemporary feel. The only grumblers we heard were:

The lack of midship stairs as stated - either wait for a lift or walk to other stairs! it didnt bother me tbh

The balconies are so much smaller unless you have an aft facing cabin - again not that big a deal theres plenty of open deck space.

We heard a few grumbles about the missing promenade deck whilst onboard but i dont understand that being an issue. do these people look at a deck plan before booking?? it shouldnt have been a surprise!