Why is Azura still in Southampton?

There was a technical issue with the electrics on the last cruise to the fjords, I believe they had to overnight in Flam missed out Stavanger and had a longer stop in Bergan. They returned to Southampton a day late and after more work are due to leave today, shortening the current cruise by two days and two ports.

If they looked after them in the same terms as P&O looked after us on an Oceana cruise at Easter 2014 where problems with the ship had to be rectified I hope the passengers affected will be satisfied. We were. We thought P&O treated us more than fairly although there were the moaners as always. To be fair, who knows when their car is going to break down. One doesn't usually get advanced warning and thus it is with cruise ships!

If they looked after them in the same terms as P&O looked after us on an Oceana cruise at Easter 2014 where problems with the ship had to be rectified I hope the passengers affected will be satisfied. We were. We thought P&O treated us more than fairly although there were the moaners as always. To be fair, who knows when their car is going to break down. One doesn't usually get advanced warning and thus it is with cruise ships!

I think that you are being extremely fair in your comparison to the car breaking down, as a ship's systems and services are monitored continuously. However, unlike our cars the designs tend to be one offs, so are much more vulnerable to design flaws.

The cruise companies are never going to make public the real problems, and will field a general explanation such as electrics to "take the heat off".

However, there are two big clues as to what has happened here, the recent work that was done, and the breaking free from moorings with possible damage. I would "put my money" on this being a problem emanating from recent work done, as time constrained maintenance work is a regular source of problems in any engineering environment.

In terms of P and O "looking after" affected customers, in some instances they are ok but most of the time any compensation is designed to be funnelled straight back to P and O.  e.g. On board credit that can only be used on that cruise and percentage off your next cruise with P and O.

I hope P & O looked after all the people who travelled down to Southampton only to find the ship wasn't there… Fingers crossed they have sorted it out.

A good friend of mine was on the affected cruise..he wasn't impressed with the overall package offered to them as most was OBC which taking the mark up in prices onboard actually means very little.

His sister was due to take the next cruise after his (they don't get on) and were allowed to cancel and were subsequently offered another, longer cruise with an upgrade to a balcony from an outside and 300 OBC.

They were more fortunate than my friend in the compensation stakes.

Funny old world.

Guest Solent Richard

A good friend of mine was on the affected cruise..he wasn't impressed with the overall package offered to them as most was OBC which taking the mark up in prices onboard actually means very little.

His sister was due to take the next cruise after his (they don't get on) and were allowed to cancel and were subsequently offered another, longer cruise with an upgrade to a balcony from an outside and 300 OBC.

They were more fortunate than my friend in the compensation stakes.

Funny old world.

Or 'swings and roundabouts'.wink.png

For some reason I get messaged information from p&o. According to this the passengers who got an extra days cruise were given £300-£400 onboard credit -quite a good return on a short cruise, the passengers who lost 2 days were given equivalent of two days fare returned to them. Unfortunately people who have booked holidays off work do not have the option to cancel and take up a better offer. I hope P&O at least return their refund promptly, it took several phone calls and 4 months for P&O to refund money for lost days when we had a cruise shortened.   

Compensation can be a tricky issue when for some people living local to the port and with holiday flexibility it can be a plus, while for others with fixed holidays and not living local the offer can be completely inadequate.

A recent compensation decision in the courts regarding a Jet2 passenger who suffered a long flight delay will undoubtedly lead to higher air fares (and more business for lawyers), though we will not necessarily be aware of the added costs in the headline price (particularly as regards the current low fuel price situation).

At the end of the day it is probably a case of "buyer beware", and "fingers crossed" that the issue does not arise.

For some reason I get messaged information from p&o. According to this the passengers who got an extra days cruise were given £300-£400 onboard credit -quite a good return on a short cruise, the passengers who lost 2 days were given equivalent of two days fare returned to them. Unfortunately people who have booked holidays off work do not have the option to cancel and take up a better offer. I hope P&O at least return their refund promptly, it took several phone calls and 4 months for P&O to refund money for lost days when we had a cruise shortened.   

Hi there

It was 200..and if you didn't spend it you lost the balance..