Stopping Semi Formal Nights On All P And O Ships

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I must say that I enjoy dressing up myself and will continue to do so . The worry is that standards will slip even further with people wearing t.shirts etc.

Has anyone else noticed at the bottom of page 178 of the new P and O brochure that from next year they are dropping the semi formal nights on Arcadia, Oriana, and Aurora. I can fully understand these

There is nothing to stop anyone wearing a Jacket if they want to so I am sorry I don't see why it is so much of a problem. Some people only dress up on cruise ships others dress up all the time for wo

Surely the answer is simple, wear 'semi formal' on some evenings if you want to and for those who want more formal nights, nothing to stop you wearing formal dress every night of the cruise if you want. Your choice and no one will stop you or complain. Cruise lines are not lowering the dress code, just changing it because that is what the customers want. I think we have to remember that we on this forum make up a very small percentage of the over 2 million who cruised from the UK last year and certainly the nearly 12 million that cruised out of the USA some of whom were Brits. It is expected that by 2018 the numbers cruising will have reached 24 million and by then formal nights will have almost disappeared. Many of the upmarket cruise lines have done away with them already so make the most of them whilst they still exist.

It is time to accept just one evening dress code - formal. This way it is easy for everyone to know what to pack. There would be no problems on fly-cruise and no weight issues getting bags o to the ships.

Not quite sure I understand your post here Captain Kidd, do you mean remove formal nights in order to remove fly cruise luggage weight issues or keep to just formal nights on board? If it's the former then I don't see how this would remove the weight issue with luggage on fly cruises as you would need multiple formal options which would surely bump up the concerns for luggage allowances. If it's the latter then if every night on board was formal, I think it would take the shine off of the special occasions they are. Personally, I am a big fan of formal evenings. I like them a lot and so does my wife but I think if every night was formal it would become a little mundane and take the shine off them. I'm a fan of the smart casual/formal night mix. It gives you a nice combination, flows well and allows a welcome mixture for those who enjoy dressing up and those who do not. 

Surely the answer is simple, wear 'semi formal' on some evenings if you want to and for those who want more formal nights, nothing to stop you wearing formal dress every night of the cruise if you want. Your choice and no one will stop you or complain. Cruise lines are not lowering the dress code, just changing it because that is what the customers want. I think we have to remember that we on this forum make up a very small percentage of the over 2 million who cruised from the UK last year and certainly the nearly 12 million that cruised out of the USA some of whom were Brits. It is expected that by 2018 the numbers cruising will have reached 24 million and by then formal nights will have almost disappeared. Many of the upmarket cruise lines have done away with them already so make the most of them whilst they still exist.

Could not agree more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It is time to accept just one evening dress code - formal. This way it is easy for everyone to know what to pack. There would be no problems on fly-cruise and no weight issues getting bags o to the ships.

I like formal nights but we did 105 nights on the Aurora this year. Just how am I supposed to cope with packing for 105 formal nights. It maybe fine for a short cruise but not at all realistic for a World cruise.

• 1 month later...

Sadly, you will never please all the people all the time.

We returned from a cruise on Arcadia last week and I have to say that the semi formal nights, where a majority of men were wearing an ill fitting jacket without a tie. This made a mockery of a dress code which is intended to be smarter than evening casual.

Have P&O now removed mirrors from most cabins or do the men not get a chance to check themselves out in the mirror before leaving their cabins as the ladies are all making their final touches? Ladies, you all looked great :-)

What I am trying to say is that, while I think a smart dress code is fine, I don't think that this is now the majority view. If people don't want to look smart, there is little a cruise line can do to enforce them to do so without loosing custom.

• 4 weeks later...

Dorset cruiser,

I have been on many RCI ships, such as Radiance of the Seas, Brilliance, Splendour and Legend also Navigator long before these mammoth RCI ships took over ,and yes[ why would I lie ] the shorts tees and the baseball cap was worn to dinner, I like PO and their dress standards, we also like semi-formal that's why we choose Oriana and Aurora [i have just come off of the Aurora and there were 4 semi formal and yes our table adhered to the dress standards nothing snobbish about it at all .

As for taking jackets anyway whether there are semi formal or not, we did and felt foolish especially when the large family who joined us were in t shirts, as I said it's not for us so if you feel I am a snob then so be it! CG

I like formal nights but we did 105 nights on the Aurora this year. Just how am I supposed to cope with packing for 105 formal nights. It maybe fine for a short cruise but not at all realistic for a World cruise.

hI tALLY,

We managed 2 world cruises going from Southampton you can take what you like and then ask the steward to take your cases down to the hold, you can also get your jackets cleaned there is a laundry service or you can take your laundry to the Laundrette CG

• 1 month later...

We fully agree with Cornish girl. Losing the semi formal dress code on the adults only ships will result in a drop in standards, we would also like to see dress codes enforced by the staff as some people are already wearing T-shirts in the Dining Room. I don't want to sit next to someone wearing T-shirt and shorts at the Dinner table. If they do not want to dress appropriately there is always the self-service restaurants. This would be a bad move on P & O's part and would make Cunard more appealing.

Personally as I have said before, formal and semi formal nights have nothing to do with standards. it's people that make standards not dress codes. If you travel on some of the real 5 star ships where formal and semi formal have been replaced with country casual there is certainly no drop in standards. As I said, it is the people who travel on these ships not the dress code that makes the standard. As always, just my opinion. wink.png

Why is it that P&O who only have formal nights or Casual  on Ventura are too strict on Formal Nights. Having been stuck in a DJ most of the night for dinner and retiring to the Metropolis for after dinner drinks and removing my jacket which is usually normal late at night, I was told to put it back on by the head barman!. I was sweating and so where my friends. No Air con in the bar, The Bar staff were wearing shirts. I thought it rude and we walked out .  That behaviour by the staff does not occur with other lines. We all abide by the dress code but there comes a time at night when then men should be able to relax with P&O. But apparently they think otherwise. Several other lines have no problem with Dinner Jackets being removed in the Bars late at night after dinner. Do you stay sweating and smelly or should you be able to remove ones jacket. Snobbery by P&O ? I am taking here about after 10pm at night.

Why is it that P&O who only have formal nights or Casual  on Ventura are too strict on Formal Nights. Having been stuck in a DJ most of the night for dinner and retiring to the Metropolis for after dinner drinks and removing my jacket which is usually normal late at night, I was told to put it back on by the head barman!. I was sweating and so where my friends. No Air con in the bar, The Bar staff were wearing shirts. I thought it rude and we walked out .  That behaviour by the staff does not occur with other lines. We all abide by the dress code but there comes a time at night when then men should be able to relax with P&O. But apparently they think otherwise. Several other lines have no problem with Dinner Jackets being removed in the Bars late at night after dinner. Do you stay sweating and smelly or should you be able to remove ones jacket. Snobbery by P&O ? I am taking here about after 10pm at night.

Couldn't agree more. There are another 61 cruise lines to choose from and from what is written on forums it appears many for various  reasons are doing just that.

hI tALLY,

We managed 2 world cruises going from Southampton you can take what you like and then ask the steward to take your cases down to the hold, you can also get your jackets cleaned there is a laundry service or you can take your laundry to the Laundrette CG

I've done 2 world cruises from Southampton too. I did take as many cases as I could believe me. I still think I'd still struggle to pack for 105 formal nights. They no longer do dry cleaning on the Aurora but I do send all my clothes to the laundry. 

I noticed when we were on the Oriana in 2014 that some men took off their jackets in the dining room and nothing was said.

Guest Solent Richard

Good morning Pennbank.

It will come as no surprise that I personally fully support the actions of the Staff on this occasion.

What part of 'Formal Night' do you not understand?

PS. Your comment was logged at 12.17 am on Sunday, that's well after 'talking here about after 10.00 pm at night"

Guest Solent Richard

I cannot see a problem with taking jackets off, its more the enforcement of the dress code for the evening. Lets face it a gentleman still has his dickie bow on even if his jacket is off.

Ah, but some still try to emulate the Rat Pack. Those that can re-tie the bow tie that is. wink.png

Guest Solent Richard

Couldn't agree more. There are another 61 cruise lines to choose from and from what is written on forums it appears many for various  reasons are doing just that.

But isn't that the point Oldworldtraveller.

As I frequently point out, those posting on forums are actually a very tiny minority.

On any given day P&O have around 18,500 passengers at sea. I know their loyalty upsets so many but they do actually know what the 'Majority' of their customers both like and appreciate.

Guest Solent Richard

Please allow me to make a point on formal wear for men.

Any reasonable quality formal Dinner Jacket/Tux is considerably more lightweight than your average non-formal jacket. Let's face it we aren't talking Tweed Jacket here.

I've always viewed keeping one's jacket 'on' after dinner, and through the show, as a show of character.

As for 'sweating', well I have always subscribed to the view that anyone with a bit of a class perspires. laugh.png laugh.png

And strictly on topic, even when dress rules on Cunard are relaxed after midnight in the G32 Night Club, most gentlemen still keep their jackets on...

11187894645_e4b5de673e_z.jpg

Personally I see no problem with removing a jacket as it is not part of a uniform. I believe the word 'Formal' should be done away with and replaced where necessary with DJ/Suit as Formal around the world means different things. Example if a person from Fiji turned up in their countries formal wear,  Sulu (long skirt), sandels, shirt, tie and waistcoat would Cunard try and refuse them permission to the MDR? They are of course in 'Formal' wear, it's just that it is their countries Formal Wear. There are many examples from around the world that could be used. No wonder so many of the cruise lines are doing away with 'Formal Nights'. As dressing for dinner goes  back to Victorian times what if those who want to dress as of that era sail on ships from that era. Think there maybe a few complaints. ;) ;)