Stopping Semi Formal Nights On All P And O Ships

I will always adhere to the dress code on board and believe everyone should do the same but I can understand why P&O have made this change as stated before. If they were removing formal evenings from the equation then it would be a different matter but they aren't, their simply removing semi-formal and I genuinely believe their doing that to make the cruise experience more appealing to a younger generation and to make the concept of a cruise for first time bookers less confusing. We are all in privileged position in that we have done many cruises and understand how it works but for a first time cruiser it can be very difficult to get your head around alongside all other factors like dining choice, cabin options and position etc. Booking a cruise for the first time is very complex so by removing this dress code they have made it slightly simpler.

I do think the decision is aimed primarily at attracting new to cruise passengers but also for helping out with luggage restrictions on fly cruises, a point that has been raised in this thread.

While it may disappoint some of us to lose the semi-formal option, from a business perspective, I understand why P&O would do it.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I must say that I enjoy dressing up myself and will continue to do so . The worry is that standards will slip even further with people wearing t.shirts etc.

Has anyone else noticed at the bottom of page 178 of the new P and O brochure that from next year they are dropping the semi formal nights on Arcadia, Oriana, and Aurora. I can fully understand these

There is nothing to stop anyone wearing a Jacket if they want to so I am sorry I don't see why it is so much of a problem. Some people only dress up on cruise ships others dress up all the time for wo

This doesn't change my opinion of P&O at all. I've only cruised with P&O and Royal Caribbean before but as I have a family and will be travelling with children, if I was going to book a cruise it would be aboard one of the family friendly ships that only have the 2 dress codes anyway, although I only know this through recent research. I could see why it might irk a few people who enjoy the adult only ships though. Last time I cruised with P&O this dress code was in place still and there was an air of glamour about the cruise line that seems to have changed nowadays. Again thought that's just from an onlookers point of view. I haven't cruised with P&o for sometime so I may be wrong. Looking at them now as a potential for this year along with Royal Caribbean and Norwegian Cruise Line.

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but also new to cruise. I don't live far from Bolsover Cruise Club and often get emails about the forum so thought would check it out. I joined the cruise club before Christmas as I'm looking to take my first ever cruise. Planned on heading to the Caribbean in February but were unable to book in the end. I just noticed this post and had a read through. I think this is a good decision. I agree with some of the posts made on here that it does make things easier for new cruisers, plus I'm not a big fan of dressing up anyway as I'm in a suit and tie all week as it is.

Stopping semi formal nights is very disappointing,part of going on a cruise has been dress code with P&O. If you don't want to follow dress code then go with an alternative cruise line who don't have a code. Removal of semi formal nights I fear is the beginning of the end to traditional cruising. Cruising will become a holiday camp at sea! P& O need to reconsider a lot of loyal passengers will be very disappointed by the change in policy.

I do not agree with it if people do not want to dress for dinner which is what cruising is supposed to be about,then they should stick to other type of holidays.

From a womans point of view you cannot go any where at home these days and dress up its the opposite we dress down so to wear a nice cocktail dress or ball gown is really nice and to see the men in correct attire also adds to the dining experience, after all its not Joes café.

I agree with Alethea, semi-formal nights should be kept, why do standards have to keep slipping. There is always somewhere else to eat if you don't want to be smart. P and O should reconsider. I once went on an American ship (no names) where some cruisers went to dinner on formal nights in Shorts! No thank you.

Stopping semi formal nights is very disappointing,part of going on a cruise has been dress code with P&O. If you don't want to follow dress code then go with an alternative cruise line who don't have a code. Removal of semi formal nights I fear is the beginning of the end to traditional cruising. Cruising will become a holiday camp at sea! P& O need to reconsider a lot of loyal passengers will be very disappointed by the change in policy.

I totally agree,it may as well be a butlins on sea

Ok, I think there is a solution. Isn't this where Freedom dining should come in? We should continue to have the ability to dress up in the MDR with the option for more relaxed dress wear if Freedom dining. There is nothing worse than liking go dress up only to find several on your table for not. Last year, on Aurora, on a cruise to Norway none of the semi formal so took place. She who must be obeyed was not happy as dresses had been packed on the basis of the cruise personaliser for semi formal that never took place - instead we had 4, on a table for 8, who just did not bother to dress and made it obvious that they did not like the cruise either. They had booked last minute and probably would have preferred Freedom dining.

Let me say from the outset that I love the formal evenings on P&O - and unlike cruise lines that cater for the American market, most of the male passengers still wear dinner suits.  Anything less would be an insult to our ladies, who love to wear their finest evening dresses.

However, I welcome the change, because have never liked the semi-formal evenings.  It is neither one thing, nor the other.

Before I retired from my employment, I always wore a jacket, collar and tie to work.  A holiday (or a vacation in American parlance) should provides an opportunity to relax and enjoy - so I much prefer "elegant casual" as the dress code for non-formal evenings.  Incidentally, that is perfectly acceptable on premium cruise lines, including Azamara, Seabourn and Regent - so there is no reason why it should not work equally well on P&O.

We've cruised for many years and have always enjoyed dressing for dinner obeying the various'codes'. The choice of with or without a tie is good on semi formal nights. However over the last few years we've noticed men especially going into dinner up at the buffet in shorts and vest, then walking around the ship and even going into the theatre without being stopped. This should be stopped as it lowers the standards of the ship, the dress code is clearly stated in the brochure. Rules are made to be obeyed not to be broken!!!

I find the dining rooms too cold for comfort without a Jacket ... So I wear one every night whatever the code.

I agree that it should be different in the Caribbean or other really hot climates but surely the air conditioning evens this all out. I say 'Live and let live' but not to the extent that Shorts and T- Shirts (in whatever guise) becomes acceptable.

It seems that most people are willing to accept the loss of the 'semi formal' category from P&O dress code. It seems a shame however my thoughts are that if we are to accept this then the company should similarly accept that they should strictly enforce the dress codes.  It is after all the Britishness that is aspired to by P&O that is a draw for the main customer base.

I have been on many cruises and have had many experiences of different dining arrangements. When I first cruised the fly weight was 25 kilos and now its 23 therefore I agree with some others when having to pack heavy jackets. Some cruises are far too stiff and starchy and people seem to be judged by what they are wearing (a british thing I think) but I would prefer to sit next to someone for their company and not their attire. I do believe we should all be presentable no matter what the occasion and I have sat next to many Americans who have not necessarily dressed as I but nevertheless I have had a fantastic time. Shorts are not acceptable in the evening but with clothing "one mans meat is another ones poison"

I think P&O are correct to do this to try to keep the income coming in because eventually the seasoned cruisers will be gone and they will need to fill all these big ships although I think hen/stag parties should be stopped which tend to be on the shorter trips.

Lets all just go on holiday for a fabulous time and meet as many interesting people as we can.

I must Are issue with geofftravels as, from the above pits, most people are not willing to accept the loss of the semi formal. Much of the discussions have focused on the issue of jackets being worn, or not, by men but a major aspect is that it allows ladies to wear cocktail dresses without feeling overdressed. There is nothing worse than getting dressed up for dinner only to find the rest of the table has not bothered.

It's a great shame if they do.  The whole point of "adult" ships is that we're adults and can dress accordingly!  I don't really want to share my evening meal with someone who is delighted that they don't have to bother.  Ties have gone anyway.  Why do companies e.g. P&O believe that making dress more casual will improve the ships.  If they are aiming for a younger market they're barking up the wrong tree - not many people under forty have the cash to spare on a cruise.  Keep the semi-formal nights on the "adult" boats and downgrade the others.  Leave us alone!

I think the benefit Mr Ahoythere is that we can all choose. If I want to go to dinner in a nice shirt and trousers but leave my jacket at home - Great. Equally if you want to continue to wear a jacket - Great. Win Win.

I think it is worryingly judgemental that you would be disappointed to have me next to you at dinner.

I'm not sure that age has much to do with this. I have very limited cruising experience, but as recently as 1999 when we took our first cruise casual nights were (I think) reserved for the first and last nights and a 2/3 days in between which were busy port days and/or theme nights.

It seems to me that in the intervening years cruise lines have changed the product to make it more appealing to non-cruisers. I think that cruising changed once there was a casual dining option at night rather than just the MDR.

We are very disappointed to learn of P&O's decision to drop the semi formal nights on Arcadia from next year, we feel that this would be the start of a drop in standards.  If we wanted to book with Ocean Village we  would have done.  We have already seen many instances of the dress code being flouted and this has disappointed us and could affect future decisions to book with P&O.

J&K

Times are changing and the cruise lines are gradually changing with them. They are trying to attract a new audience as in a few years the old die-hards will be no more. Some of the more upmarket cruise lines have already done away with formal nights and replaced them with country casual, which does not mean jeans and tee shirt. Having travelled with several of them I have to say, it works well. The new ships coming on the market are there to attract the younger generation from where future bookings are vested and they do not in the main dress for dinner. Holidays are for enjoyment and relaxation in my book not dressing up, but having said that I always adhere to the ships dress code. As I have said many times before you only have to visit the top restaurants in London to see the dress styles. I predict that in 10 years time formal nights will be but a distant memory for all but a few lines. I say this having travelled with 7 different cruise lines on 11 different ships in the last 12 months and see how things have changed in only a few years.