Stopping Semi Formal Nights On All P And O Ships

Has anyone else noticed at the bottom of page 178 of the new P and O brochure that from next year they are dropping the semi formal nights on Arcadia, Oriana, and Aurora.

I can fully understand these being dropped on family ships, because clearly if you have a couple of children there is enough luggage without the extra of formal nights.

However as a dedicated traveller with P and O am disappointed that the semi formal nights are to be no longer, on the 3 mentioned ships, particularly on the adult only ships.

Has anyone else any feelings on this subject.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I must say that I enjoy dressing up myself and will continue to do so . The worry is that standards will slip even further with people wearing t.shirts etc.

Has anyone else noticed at the bottom of page 178 of the new P and O brochure that from next year they are dropping the semi formal nights on Arcadia, Oriana, and Aurora. I can fully understand these

There is nothing to stop anyone wearing a Jacket if they want to so I am sorry I don't see why it is so much of a problem. Some people only dress up on cruise ships others dress up all the time for wo

Hi  Just reading most of the views on this topic it seems that most responders enjoy dressing up, but as cruiser 1954 states just because a cruise line doesn't recommend semi-formal wear this doesn't mean you can't wear this attire.  I have had the pleasure of sailing on some of the "better" cruise lines (Seabourn and Azamara) and both have no formal evenings and the suggested cruise attire is country style casual throughout the entire voyage and in truth it works well (all passengers are smartly dressed), in fact, unlike say Princess and Celebrity which have formal evenings many of the passengers (particularly those cruises sailing out the USA) ignore the recommended attire and don shorts and T shirts.

I honestly don't think it's too bigger deal for P&O Cruises to make this decision. In fact I can see why they have done it. As Jaczs stated, there is nothing to stop people dressing up for the smart casual evenings and they will draw the line at t-shirts etc so I wouldn't worry about that. I think by eliminating the semi-formal category it makes things simpler. I think one of the nice things about this forum as that we're all keen to welcome new members but the same should apply to new cruisers. For many people, booking a cruise for the first time is a difficult thing and I know this from my own first-hand experience when I did my first cruise. It's not like a land-based holiday and there are so many more questions your going to be asked by a travel agent at the time of booking, one of the reasons why I think using an agent is still the best way of doing it rather than online booking. Anyway going back to the issue at hand. I think simplifying the dress codes makes things easier to understand for first time cruisers and makes the whole cruising experience more attractive for a younger generation, which lets face it, the cruise line need to attract in order to stay alive so I fully understand the decision they've made.

I have travelled on Princess and Celebrity out of US and other places and have never seen anyone in shorts at dinner in the dining room. The dress code may not be as strictly enforced as on British lines, so collared golf type shirts are seen, but not shorts. As to the poster who said that there was no problem taking extra clothing when travelling from Southampton, not everyone who cruises from Southampton can drive to the port. Many have considerable distances to travel and choose to fly.

I've traveled on Oceana when this was on trial,and throughly enjoyed it I still wore a smart shirt and trousers and really felt a lot more comfortable.I still enjoy the formal nights but semi formal is not necessary,as long as it's not jeans,shorts,and t shirts what's the problem.

PS I'm dreading wearing a jacket this year.

As someone waiting for our first cruise on the Oriana next February I hope they do get rid of the semi formal code before we go. We are far from the jeans and Tshirt brigade but having to pack jackets for my husband is a right pain. I think if they had two codes of smart shirt and trousers or full monty tux it would be far easier to deal with and not lower the tone too much.

GiGi

I can understand them doing it on any fly cruise as it is a nightmare getting the cases to weigh just 23k but when sailing from Southampton that is not a problem. I like to see people dressed up for dinner. Guess I am of the old school.

Irene

On thomsonfly from Venice it was 20kg and only 5kg hand bagage I ended up wearing a shirt, sweater, jacket and coat

Guest Solent Richard

We noticed on our holiday in February semi formal had been dropped on Azura. Many people just didn't bother make an effort. We will still continue to dress semi formal, it is part of our holiday dressing for dinner, and will continue to be so. 

On our recent Britannia Maiden cruise that your attitude was more than prevalent among the passengers I'm pleased to say.

That's the joy of cruising with P&O and Cunard, the majority of passengers do make the effort. I guess it's all down to character.

Guest Solent Richard

Theres nothing worse than being trussed up like a chicken every night…. we are on holiday after all. Just because they do stop the semi formal nights doesnt mean that it will end up with the jeans and t shirt brigade. P & O wouldn't allow it, Im sure.

Well I suppose if folk insist on wearing ill fitting jackets you may have a point.

Somehow I don't think your analysis fits 'snuggly' with the majority of P&O passengers though. 

More M&S than Peacocks.

We always change for dinner but packing for informal nights for my husband has always been a chore. You can look smart without a suit and we have enjoyed the cruises without informal nights more. Our first cruise to the Caribbean was on Oriana and wearing a suit and tie in the heat was the only bad point of the holiday. We received a questionnaire from P&O about a year ago asking our opinion so I think they have researched the passengers wishes before making this decision.   

Well I think it is a bad decision especially on the Aurora, Oriana  and Arcadia, why not leave things as they were,   OH always wears a jacket and I wear cocktail dresses we don't dress down, I don't want to sit next to someone in a polo shirt or denin  I can do that at home  any day, it's such a shame PO  has done this , I understand the bigger ships doing it with familes having to carry extra luggage but they should have left the smaller ships as they  were. Its the ones in t.shirts and  jeans who should find the alternative cruise lines not the ones who uphold the standards,  maybe the such as RCI where dressing up means turning   your baseball cap so the peak  so it faces the front. If that makes me a traditionalist then so be it. CG

We are quite happy to adhere to the dress code of the day, in my opinion if you don't like the dress codes find a cruise line that does not have any,

We sailed on Aurora from Sydney to San Francisco last month and the worst offenders where Austrailians who even on Formal nights some would be dressed in shorts t-shirts flip flops and even baseball caps wink.png

SR I didn't mean it in the context that you took it, a person can be very well turned out without having to wear a dinner jacket every night…

By the way, what is Peacocks, the only ones that I know are the ones with bright feathers that roam around our village! I can honestly say that I have never attended dinner without wearing the appropriate dress code of the night and have no intention of doing so!

I don't mind dressing properly for formal nights but I have never really understood the need for semi formal (or informal) nights. It seems to me that this dress code is just that same as casual only with the addition of a jacket as far as men are concerned. If I have to wear a jacket then I will do but I really don't see the point.

Guest Solent Richard

SR I didn't mean it in the context that you took it, a person can be very well turned out without having to wear a dinner jacket every night…

By the way, what is Peacocks, the only ones that I know are the ones with bright feathers that roam around our village! I can honestly say that I have never attended dinner without wearing the appropriate dress code of the night and have no intention of doing so!

Peacocks is one the UK's leading budget ladies fashion retail brands.

Guest Solent Richard

Good morning Pesky Pirate.

I actually responded to your comment 'trussed up like a turkey'.

Surely we aren't discussing Dinner Jackets, I think everyone is agreed they are worn on Formal nights aka a Tux.

The discussion is on abandoning 'semi-formal nights which in a nutshell is relaxing the rules on gentlemen's jackets, blazers etc on nights other than formal nights.