Do P&o Get It Right

P&O often come in for a lot of complaints from cruisers,

But we have just returned from Aurora sailing from Sydney to San Francisco and we think the refit to the buffet area's are a complete benefit as well as the grab & go section, there are more tables for two in the buffet area's which is a blessing in the morning and midday meal time's as for some reason it is easier to find a vacant table.

The refit has in general seen a good inprovement to facilities onboard the ship.

And also Captain Angelo Vago is an asset to P&O with his broken English and witty comments also he was very approachable.

so well done P&O you have inour opinion got it right this time.wink.png wink.png

They do come in for some flack at times but I think one thing they definitely deserve praise for is their handling of the Oriana situation yesterday. I follow P&O on social media and throughout the day they were keeping passengers up to date with what was going on. I understand they put passengers up in hotels overnight and offered 50% money back for the cruise. They even offered the option for guests to return home and receive a full refund plus 20% off their next cruise which to me is incredibly professional and up front. It looks from the streams of comments on Facebook that the situation was dealt with very well.

Apparently it was just too windy for her to dock at the ocean terminal so they were forced to change plans and keep existing passengers on board for one more night before they could safely disembark them. Because of that the following cruise departure was delayed by a day to today but all passengers that had made their way down to Southampton were given two choices, either be put up in a hotel by P&O for the night, sail today instead and receive 50% money back on the cruise or go home and receive a 100% refund plus 20% off their next cruise. Sounds incredibly good from P&O considering it was the weather that caused the issue. They could have quite easily said that there is nothing they can do about the weather and offer passengers nothing so fair play to them for that.

Guest Solent Richard

They do come in for some flack at times but I think one thing they definitely deserve praise for is their handling of the Oriana situation yesterday. I follow P&O on social media and throughout the day they were keeping passengers up to date with what was going on. I understand they put passengers up in hotels overnight and offered 50% money back for the cruise. They even offered the option for guests to return home and receive a full refund plus 20% off their next cruise which to me is incredibly professional and up front. It looks from the streams of comments on Facebook that the situation was dealt with very well.

Well said Sammy Sun. All to often we see and here wild speculation. There was on some other media a claim that P&O were 'lying' on Facebook as to what was actually happening.

I can confirm the weather conditions in and around the Solent yesterday. We got it full blast in Solent Towers. laugh.png laugh.png

Guest Solent Richard

P&O often come in for a lot of complaints from cruisers,

But we have just returned from Aurora sailing from Sydney to San Francisco and we think the refit to the buffet area's are a complete benefit as well as the grab & go section, there are more tables for two in the buffet area's which is a blessing in the morning and midday meal time's as for some reason it is easier to find a vacant table.

The refit has in general seen a good inprovement to facilities onboard the ship.

And also Captain Angelo Vago is an asset to P&O with his broken English and witty comments also he was very approachable.

so well done P&O you have inour opinion got it right this time.wink.png wink.png

An interesting subject to raise Ron. I have a neighbour, travelling solo, on Aurora for the full world cruise. She has done for the last 8/9 years and loves it.

The problem with P&O's critics generally lies with a degree of envy. Some cannot accept that so many cruise with P&O and enjoy it and, what's more, are not over fussed  by prices. It's what they like and that often rattles the few.

I used to be amused by the antics of a few who claimed P&O took away their loyalty points after four years of not cruising with them. 

Out of 3,500 passengers on Britannia's maiden the Captain announced that only 200 had never cruised with P&O previously. Kind of says it all really.

I shall no doubt look forward to adding to this thread again soon.

PS. So pleased you had a good cruise: after all, you paid for it.

• 3 weeks later...

HI Solent Richard

The problem with P&O's critics generally lies with a degree of envy. Some cannot accept that so many cruise with P&O and enjoy it and, what's more, are not over fussed  by prices. It's what they like and that often rattles the few.

Hi If I had only sailed with P&O in the last eight I probably would have fewer complaints about the cruise line. However, I had my first cruise with P&O over twenty five years ago and I have seen the standards drop significantly. The product now offered is a different type of cruise experience, for some cruisers this for the better for others including myself the dumbing down of the cruise ambience is not to my liking and so I no longer use this this company. I don't envy those sailing on this line but wonder why the passengers put up with a falling standards.

Guest Solent Richard

HI Solent Richard

Hi If I had only sailed with P&O in the last eight I probably would have fewer complaints about the cruise line. However, I had my first cruise with P&O over twenty five years ago and I have seen the standards drop significantly. The product now offered is a different type of cruise experience, for some cruisers this for the better for others including myself the dumbing down of the cruise ambience is not to my liking and so I no longer use this this company. I don't envy those sailing on this line but wonder why the passengers put up with a falling standards.

Good morning land Ahoy.

A gorgeous day here on the Solent as I wait in for a delivery so you the forum gets me for a while.

I'm not really sure what you you are getting at in your opening sentence..."If I had only sailed with P&O in the last eight I probably would have fewer complaints about the cruise line". Is that eight cruises, years or whatever?

I must say though that having only recently discovered your penchant for Fred Olsen I find your comment on 'dumbing down of the cruise ambience' a trifle incredulous.

I look forward to continuing this debate and hearing more of your Fred Olsen experiences.

Have a nice day. I'm off later to see 'Anthem of the Seas' in Southampton.

HI Solent Richard

Hi Land Ahoy, while I often understand you wish to acknowledge the reputations of other cruise lines on the forum, I notice it is often at the expense of P&O. I regularly see your comments towards the forum being P&O biased but so many of your comments feature P&O it seems you are often at the heart of the debate. While I respect your opinion on the cruise line, I personally disagree. I have cruised with P&O many years ago and in present day. I do not seem "dumbing down". I see a cruise line opening it's eyes to new realms of possibility and the need to move with the times in order to attract a wider audience to the cruising world. P&O seem to be doing a good job on that front and the changing livery designs are another example of a shrewd marketing policy put in place to emphasise the British stature and nature of the brand, something I feel they have captured extremely well. It has been a bold move by P&O along with many other steps they have taken in order to stay the UK's leading cruise line. If you are comparing P&O to Silversea, Regent, Crystal, then of course you are going to find many differences, but P&O are not aiming for this market, they are true to what they are and who they have always been. Slight changes on board do not change the overall image of the brand and the company itself. 

You seem very interested in highlighting the positives of luxury cruise lines so please continue as I personally would love to hear more about these cruise lines. I would certainly be interested in sampling them myself but do so in their own right, not using P&O as a stepping stone to enhance your beliefs of the cruising experience with these operators. 

Guest Solent Richard

Hi Land Ahoy, while I often understand you wish to acknowledge the reputations of other cruise lines on the forum, I notice it is often at the expense of P&O. I regularly see your comments towards the forum being P&O biased but so many of your comments feature P&O it seems you are often at the heart of the debate. While I respect your opinion on the cruise line, I personally disagree. I have cruised with P&O many years ago and in present day. I do not seem "dumbing down". I see a cruise line opening it's eyes to new realms of possibility and the need to move with the times in order to attract a wider audience to the cruising world. P&O seem to be doing a good job on that front and the changing livery designs are another example of a shrewd marketing policy put in place to emphasise the British stature and nature of the brand, something I feel they have captured extremely well. It has been a bold move by P&O along with many other steps they have taken in order to stay the UK's leading cruise line. If you are comparing P&O to Silversea, Regent, Crystal, then of course you are going to find many differences, but P&O are not aiming for this market, they are true to what they are and who they have always been. Slight changes on board do not change the overall image of the brand and the company itself. 

You seem very interested in highlighting the positives of luxury cruise lines so please continue as I personally would love to hear more about these cruise lines. I would certainly be interested in sampling them myself but do so in their own right, not using P&O as a stepping stone to enhance your beliefs of the cruising experience with these operators. 

Made my day.wink.png wink.png

Do they get it right? Like all cruise lines they sometimes get it right and at other times they get it wrong.

Cruising is about expectations and everyone's expectations are different. In the main if your first cruise is good with a particular cruise line then you will in all probability stay with them. If it isn't then you will probably be with the 'Never cruise with them again' group.

P&O are often a contentious subject in that if you say you had good and bad cruises with them the cavalry comes riding over the hill defending them and asking what was bad, never what was good.

We all have our favourites because that cruise line offers us what we want and meets our expectations. Some do seem to come in for some unfair criticism and yet their regulars love them. P&O will be discussed more than most lines on UK forums simply because they have the largest fleet operating out of the UK and therefore carry the most UK passengers. Mention P&O to many cruisers from across the pond and they will say, who? Are they the best cruise line? That depends on who you ask and what their expectations are. Do they get it right? In the eyes of some yes, others no, there will always be differing opinions.

I do not think that you can consider P&O as a standard product.

If Britannia was an up scaled version of Oriana it would have no Cookery Club, no Limelight Club, larger dance floors, and an atrium that did not waste valuable space on designers caprice.

Hi  I think a large number of members on this forum believe that cruising is a luxury vacation.  This may have been so just after the war until the seventies but it is a now just another type of package holiday, I know the TV advertisements and brochures try to convince us otherwise.  I don't feel many cruisers would consider a short break at Centre Parcs anything but a self-catering break but those who chose to book a chalet will often by paying much more for their holiday per night than those on a cruise.  If you accept my views (many will think am I wrong and you will tell me so) then most cruises will fall into the definition of a mainstream vacation and since P&O aren't the highest rated line I think it  is not unreasonable to say they are a standard product.  I do enjoy cruising but I don't pretend it's a luxury vacation. 

Hi  I think a large number of members on this forum believe that cruising is a luxury vacation.  This may have been so just after the war until the seventies but it is a now just another type of package holiday, I know the TV advertisements and brochures try to convince otherwise.  I don't feel many cruisers would consider a short break at Centre Parcs anything but a self-catering break but those who chose to book a chalet will often by paying much more for their holiday per night than those on a cruise.  If you accept my views (many will think am I wrong and you will tell me so) then most cruises will fall into the definition of a mainstream vacation and since P&O aren't the highest rated line I think it  is not unreasonable to say they are a standard product.  I do enjoy cruising but I don't pretend it's a luxury vacation. 

Hi, my use of the term "standard product" was not meant to be in comparison to other cruise lines, but ships within P&O (i.e. we are happy with Oriana but Britannia is off our agenda).

Hi, my use of the term "standard product" was not meant to be in comparison to other cruise lines, but ships within P&O (i.e. we are happy with Oriana but Britannia is off our agenda).

You just beat me to it!

It seems to me that there are different ships within the P&O fleet and it may not be that they all work for you. However I would expect to know that I was on a P&O ship and for the key brand characteristics to be the same.

OWT spot on the mark!!

I get so fed up with the never going with them again and 2 minutes later you hear they have booked their next holiday, I have a belief that unless they have something to moan about it spoils their holiday!!!

Everone has favourities all for different reasons and as other people have said in the thread, sometimes they get it right but not all the time.

AFTER ALL WE ARE HUMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!