Reasons Why You Don't Sail With A Particular Cruise Line

Hi I have just a read a comment on Afternoon Teas in the Blog section of this website:

It was because of afternoon tea that my wife and I will never sail on Fred Olsen ships again. On the Boudicca on a Canary Cruise we decided to have tea. The waiters serving thought it highly amusing to signal that they were ready to serve by rattling their tongs around the steel display bowls. This is how farmers call their chicken and livestock to come to feed. I wrote to the company on arriving home but never received a reply. If I am going to be shown that much disrespect I will spend my money somewhere else.

I don't have any problems with how people spend their own money but I certainly wouldn't consider not sailing on a cruise line because of one minor problem.  Am I unusual in that I am willing to accept that not everything on a cruise holiday is going to meet my expectations or should I complain to the cruise line about every minor detail?  What's your take on the situation?

I would never rule out any cruise line for minor annoyances . My sister however has what i think is the most ridiculous reason for never cruising with Celebrity again, The staff were too attentive, they insisted on carrying her tray in the buffet and carrying her parcels and bags to the cabin after a day ashore. She says it made her feel old and decrepit, I think it is just exceptional service.

I guess some people feel very strongly about certain things, while they're more willing to let other things slide.

Personally the herding of passengers to afternoon tea by clattering a metal bowl doesn't sound like my idea of a civilised afternoon, but I'd witness it in person before forming too strong an opinion.

Things that would make me reluctant to revisit a cruise line are the likes of poor food (by my own standard), rude service, and uncomfortable or badly designed cabins.  These are more general things than one specific event or problem, and most of these events are one-offs or potentially not likely to repeat themselves.

I also think it depends on how easy going you are.  I'm not likely to complain about very much, but will leave feedback on a comment card.  Simple. I'll still enjoy myself, and make the best of the situation.  Others will get very worked up about details and dwell on them, allowing it to ruin their holiday.  I can certainly understand that perspective and am probably guilty of the same very occasionally, especially if I feel someone has been rude.

I would never rule out any cruise line for minor annoyances . My sister however has what i think is the most ridiculous reason for never cruising with Celebrity again, The staff were too attentive, they insisted on carrying her tray in the buffet and carrying her parcels and bags to the cabin after a day ashore. She says it made her feel old and decrepit, I think it is just exceptional service.

I also don't think that's the norm on Celebrity - I've sailed with Celebrity 3 times and never seen that.  Though I very, very rarely use the buffet.

I wish someone would do those things for me, instead of making me feel old and decrepit it would make me feel valued and cosseted.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I have just a read a comment on Afternoon Teas in the Blog section of this website:

It was because of afternoon tea that my wife and I will never sail on Fred Olsen ships again. On the Boudicca on a Canary Cruise we decided to have tea. The waiters serving thought it highly amusing to signal that they were ready to serve by rattling their tongs around the steel display bowls. This is how farmers call their chicken and livestock to come to feed. I wrote to the company on arriving home but never received a reply. If I am going to be shown that much disrespect I will spend my money somewhere else.

I don't have any problems with how people spend their own money but I certainly wouldn't consider not sailing on a cruise line because of one minor problem.  Am I unusual in that I am willing to accept that not everything on a cruise holiday is going to meet my expectations or should I complain to the cruise line about every minor detail?  What's your take on the situation?

If they did this to me they would regret it, it is so easy to get back at them. First call for the head waiter, make him come to you, explain the problem and what he is going to do about it, I think you will find that he will act, because if he doesn't, you will find that the restaurant manager will not be a happy chappy when you complain to him. I have found that if I have a complaint ( not very often ) having a word with the person in charge usualy does the trick

Guest Solent Richard

For me cruising, like life, is a balance.

Minor problems/indiscretions in very limited numbers certainly wouldn't force me to bring the shutters crashing down.

There are just two cruise lines that I have experienced and subsequently would never sail with again: Thomson and Royal Caribbean.

There are a number that I wouldn't even dream of sailing with, Cruise and Maritime and Louis Cruises for instance.

Guest Solent Richard

I also don't think that's the norm on Celebrity - I've sailed with Celebrity 3 times and never seen that.  Though I very, very rarely use the buffet.

I have to agree with you Duncan, never experienced it either on THREE Celebrity cruises.

I can't remember how to reply with quote, but agree with Duncan and Richard, no one has ever carried parcels for me on fourteen Celebrity cruises and I have only seen trays carried for people who were not able to carry their own.

I don't think a single issue would put me off cruising with a particular line, although having been docked next to a P&O ship and witnessing the flag waving and singing of Land of Hope and Glory at sail away I am not attracted to sail with them. I would never say never though, if the price and itinerary were right I could always avoid sail aways. I enjoy the last night of the Proms, but waving the Union Jack in a foreign country seems rather disrespectful.

Sheila

Guest Solent Richard

I can't remember how to reply with quote, but agree with Duncan and Richard, no one has ever carried parcels for me on fourteen Celebrity cruises and I have only seen trays carried for people who were not able to carry their own.

I don't think a single issue would put me off cruising with a particular line, although having been docked next to a P&O ship and witnessing the flag waving and singing of Land of Hope and Glory at sail away I am not attracted to sail with them. I would never say never though, if the price and itinerary were right I could always avoid sail aways. I enjoy the last night of the Proms, but waving the Union Jack in a foreign country seems rather disrespectful.

Sheila

Hi Sheila.

Under the comment you may wish to quote is a blue button marked 'QUOTE'.

Just hit it and write under the shaded area in the new box that auto appears.

If you wish to 'Multiquote (two quotes or more) then select 'MULTIQUOTE' on each comment that you wish to quote. 

A seperate box will appear near the bottom of your screen which reads 'Reply to 2 quoted post(s): the number of quotes you have selected. Click on this one and low and behold, you are commenting on multi comments.

Now

Hi Sheila.

Under the comment you may wish to quote is a blue button marked 'QUOTE'.

Just hit it and write under the shaded area in the new box that auto appears.

If you wish to 'Multiquote (two quotes or more) then select 'MULTIQUOTE' on each comment that you wish to quote. 

A seperate box will appear near the bottom of your screen which reads 'Reply to 2 quoted post(s): the number of quotes you have selected. Click on this one and low and behold, you are commenting on multi comments.

Now I see it, I have to like the message before the quote button appears.

I have to agree with Shetlander, you vote with your feet, if you dont like the experience then you go with another company or on another ship if you think it was just bad luck on the voyage your were on. Same with the locations I'm unlikely to repeat a location that held no interest to me the 1st time round unless something changes drmatically.

When a Cruise company changes the itinerary so drastically, after allowing its passengers to travel half way around the world, and not informing them until after they have got their credit card details just before boarding the ship .......... Celebrity is in this category and obviously doesn't care much about its customers!  They will not be seeing us again.

When a Cruise company changes the itinerary so drastically, after allowing its passengers to travel half way around the world, and not informing them until after they have got their credit card details just before boarding the ship .......... Celebrity is in this category and obviously doesn't care much about its customers!  They will not be seeing us again.

Oh dear!  Doesn't sound good.  Would you care to elaborate for the benefit of forum members, Bern?

If they did this to me they would regret it, it is so easy to get back at them. First call for the head waiter, make him come to you, explain the problem and what he is going to do about it, I think you will find that he will act, because if he doesn't, you will find that the restaurant manager will not be a happy chappy when you complain to him. I have found that if I have a complaint ( not very often ) having a word with the person in charge usualy does the trick

Quite right.  A word with the head waiter or restaurant manager often works wonders.

Last year, the plates in the buffet restaurant on Seven Seas Mariner were either stone cold - or piping hot (if they had come from the dishwasher).  However, hot food should be served on hot plates and similarly, cold food should be served on cold plates.

The head waiter advised me that "elf and safety" prevented them from using a plate warmer, in case anyone suffered burns and sued the cruise line.  He assured me that hot plates were available behind the buffet and on our latest cruise on the same ship, there was a prominent notice on the counter, advising passengers that hot plates are always available upon request.

I assumed Bern was talking about the change in itinerary for the final cruise on Celebrity Century, which was changed from Dubai - Rome to Dubai - Singapore until I read that they were not informed until they were about to board the ship.  We were booked on this cruise, and although we were disappointed with the change we were informed in plenty of time and offered alternatives as well as OBC and the cost of air fare changes.  I would be interested to hear details of Bern's experience.