Would not the simple answer be to do away with gratuities altogether and just leave passengers to tip in the same way as they do in hotels. Problem of course with that is, the staff rely on the tips to make up their wages and it would mean the cruise lines having to pay a proper wage. How silly of me to even think it.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi  I have always said that tips should be incorporated into the boarding fare.  I, like the rest of us, will not know why P&O has increased the recommended rate but I wouldn't be surprised if it

Here's an idea: why don't cruise lines allow passengers to opt out of the services; they would then not be expected to pay the service charge. A separate area of the galley could be set aside for pas

I'd love a 25% pay rise.

Posted Images

On 3/15/2017 at 11:45 AM, Davybe said:

And it begs the Question would you work for that pay ,for that amount of time away from home including Christmas .

I expect the usual answer "nobody makes them do it" ....Davybe  

Many of the staff come from Goa . Check online the average wage , It is £1.50-£2 a Day. A professional accountant architect or similar is paid around £1500 per year.  This probably explains why they are so eager to be away from home for 9 months. What seems very little to us means they and their families can live very well at home. A friend for many years took his wife, 3 children and his parents to a 5* South Pacific resort for Christmas and New Year.They live in a beautiful house with swimming pool, he is paying for university education for his children, his wife has never worked. His job for the last 25 years- cruise ship waiter.

• 3 weeks later...

I found this on another site and thought members here would find it of interest. http://crowsnestonline.co.uk/take-a-look-at-cruise-ship-gratuities/

It does appear that the subject of gratuities is to the fore in the minds of many cruisers, and the more companies increase them, the more people opt out of them. Yesterday I gave a talk in a cruise show Travel Theatre and at the end I did my usual question and answer session. Correct, the first question was on gratuities and on taking a consensus of opinion from the audience it appears that many now opt out of paying the fixed rate and tip who they want and when they want. They are certainly adverse to being told what to pay and many object to paying in advance for something they have not yet received.

For once not my opinion but that of members of the cruising public. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, David Jamesatrine said:

Gratuities on P & O now £6.00 per person per day. Work this out £6.00 per person x 3000 passengers on Britannia over a day = £18,000 x 7 = £126,000 per week. That's what I call tipping!

Children under 12 do not pay gratuities, some cruisers remove them and pay nothing at all and some remove them and then pay less in cash so your theory  falls apart.

3 hours ago, David Jamesatrine said:

Gratuities on P & O now £6.00 per person per day. Work this out £6.00 per person x 3000 passengers on Britannia over a day = £18,000 x 7 = £126,000 per week. That's what I call tipping!

Welcome to the forum Cadet.

P&O are calling it a service charge as many cruise lines now do ,perhaps the start of a compulsory charge ,not b optional one?

P&O have the cheapest tipping rate of the big cruise lines the average rate is now twice as much as P&O charge...Davybe

If most of us find it pretty acceptable to give a 10% tip when we eat out in the UK, then 10% on board could easily be £10 a day if you got a really good deal on a cruise.  So on that basis, surely £6 is not bad.  I too would prefer all the lines included it in the price but they all want to advertise the cheapest base price.  Very few of the big mainstream lines are likely to do this although NCL seem to be offering their cruises at the moment with a price including tips.

5 hours ago, David Jamesatrine said:

There are 3600 passengers on Britannia I have only taken an example of 3000!

Britannia has a maximum passenger number of 3647 when every 4 berth stateroom is full to capacity which doesn't happen regularly only possibly on school holidays then only 2 would be in those staterooms for the rest of the year. I also imagine that many remove tips and pay less or nothing so your example of 3000 paying £6pppn is a little ambitious.

Edited by sinbad10
11 hours ago, afcandrew said:

If most of us find it pretty acceptable to give a 10% tip when we eat out in the UK, then 10% on board could easily be £10 a day if you got a really good deal on a cruise.  So on that basis, surely £6 is not bad.  I too would prefer all the lines included it in the price but they all want to advertise the cheapest base price.  Very few of the big mainstream lines are likely to do this although NCL seem to be offering their cruises at the moment with a price including tips.

I hate restaurants which add an auto tip to my bill in the UK, it never used to happen several years ago so why now? American influence I suspect.

I recently went to Cosmo's an all you can eat buffet style restaurant, 30 of us in total at £20pp.

With drinks it came to just over £1000 in total, they then added their £100 tip on the bill, which I took off, and got attitude from the staff for doing so.

At the end of the day I got my own food, went to the bar and ordered my own drinks, they done absolutely nothing extra to justify me giving them £100, I paid for my meal which they provided simple as that.

That aside when sailing I did until recently pay auto grats, I now remove them and pay individually, £6 a day on P&O I agree isn't much, but this has almost doubled in two or so years, how do they justify that? Service in my opinion has gone downhill so can't understand their reasoning, it certainly doesn't go to their staff. 

HLM.

I don't blame you not wanting to £100 tip in a help-yourself buffet.  I am always happy to tip when I receive good service but the clue is in the wording - "good service".  I would suggest you don't sail on NCL HLM - I believe their specialty restaurants carry an additional 18% gratuity as well as the dining fee.

1 hour ago, afcandrew said:

I don't blame you not wanting to £100 tip in a help-yourself buffet.  I am always happy to tip when I receive good service but the clue is in the wording - "good service".  I would suggest you don't sail on NCL HLM - I believe their specialty restaurants carry an additional 18% gratuity as well as the dining fee.

I believe you're right about NCL, Cunard also charge an additional 18% service charge on already inflated drink prices.

It is getting harder to choose a decent line nowadays without all the additional charges, my last cruise was TUI Discovery only my second time with them, I must admit the package was very good and with no gratuities, all in all I was very impressed, I just wish they'd get new ships rather than others cast offs, that said the Discovery was in excellent condition and with Discovery 2 coming as well as the Mein schiff's I may consider them again soon.

HLM.

1 hour ago, HLM said:

I believe you're right about NCL, Cunard also charge an additional 18% service charge on already inflated drink prices.

It is getting harder to choose a decent line nowadays without all the additional charges, my last cruise was TUI Discovery only my second time with them, I must admit the package was very good and with no gratuities, all in all I was very impressed, I just wish they'd get new ships rather than others cast offs, that said the Discovery was in excellent condition and with Discovery 2 coming as well as the Mein schiff's I may consider them again soon.

HLM.

May be a typo

Cunard add 15% Service charge to drinks, which the servers do get.

However I doubt ALL the  Daily Gratuity charge or 'service charge ' what P&O are now calling it., is not all received fairly by  the  Dining staff or stateroom staff as gratuities, I have a sneaking suspicion that yes they do get the money, but some of it  paid as wages  not as the passenger thinks as extra.! Otherwise Cunard would not be so underhand about it.

However I am happy to pay the gratuities and it lets me carry on with my holiday without having to worry about the tips. Always though looking after the room attendant with a little extra. I am sure that the staff would not be onboard doing the work they do, unless they enjoyed it for the renumeration . In my opinion  It is down to the management and employee to sort out, not the passenger and the companies employee. Its personal opinion.

Edited by pennbank
16 minutes ago, pennbank said:

May be a typo

Cunard add 15% Service charge to drinks, which the servers do get.

However I doubt ALL the  Daily Gratuity charge or 'service charge ' what P&O are now calling it., is not all received fairly by  the  Dining staff or stateroom staff as gratuities, I have a sneaking suspicion that yes they do get the money, but some of it  paid as wages  not as the passenger thinks as extra.! Otherwise Cunard would not be so underhand about it.

No typo Pennbank you are quite correct Cunard's service charge is 15%, my mistake and thanks for correcting me.

That aside, I'm absolutely convinced that not ALL these service charges or gratuities actually go directly to the crew serving you. I have no evidence to support my theory as I'd never ask a crew member about their personal income, it's just a hunch on my part, problem is P&O, Cunard and the like are so woolly with their answers when they are questioned about it, hence all these gratuity threads across several forums.

Will we ever know?

HLM.

51 minutes ago, HLM said:

HLM.

I have looked at Thomson as a possible alternative to P&O but am put off by two things.  Although they sort of have a formal night, they are generally very informal/casual.  Second, they don't have any fixed dining times, which I really want when travelling solo as the thought of pitching up with new people every night or eating alone does not appeal.

1 minute ago, afcandrew said:

I have looked at Thomson as a possible alternative to P&O but am put off by two things.  Although they sort of have a formal night, they are generally very informal/casual.  Second, they don't have any fixed dining times, which I really want when travelling solo as the thought of pitching up with new people every night or eating alone does not appeal.

Like you say no official formal night, I believe it was called "Dress to impress" which I must say was still well adhered too, still lots of Tux and dinner suits etc, certainly no fashion disasters but some jeans and T-shirts present but they were very much in the minority.

Dining as you say is open, it worked well for us as we generally ate at 19:00 and always went straight in and at the same table, but if you like the guarantee of the same table and guests,  I can understand why it wouldn't appeal.

HLM.

16 minutes ago, afcandrew said:

I think P&O have stated that the 'service charge' is distributed between your Cabin Attendant, Waiter, Assistant Waiter and Head Waiter.

You forgot the butler he gets a share of service reward scheme even if you are in an inside or balcony.

20 minutes ago, afcandrew said:

I think P&O have stated that the 'service charge' is distributed between your Cabin Attendant, Waiter, Assistant Waiter and Head Waiter.

Yes I've seen this statement many times, what they don't tell you though is if it forms part of their wages or if it's additional payment on top.

I have my thoughts, but just try and get a straight answer from the cruiseline?

HLM.

29 minutes ago, HLM said:

No typo Pennbank you are quite correct Cunard's service charge is 15%, my mistake and thanks for correcting me.

That aside, I'm absolutely convinced that not ALL these service charges or gratuities actually go directly to the crew serving you. I have no evidence to support my theory as I'd never ask a crew member about their personal income, it's just a hunch on my part, problem is P&O, Cunard and the like are so woolly with their answers when they are questioned about it, hence all these gratuity threads across several forums.

Will we ever know?

HLM.

This may upset you but from the web site ??

Unlike most cruise lines, we don’t think that tips and service charges should cost extra, so we’ve included them in the price. That means you’re not expected to tip any of our crew-unless, of course, you want to.Plus onboard spend is in £'s so there is no need to worry about exchange rates while onboard, saving your holiday currency for when you get off the ship.

Still found P&O cheaper than Thompson even paying the grats ...Davybe