Ship's Photographers!

Guest Solent Richard

I cannot remember the exact price we paid for photos on Oriana in 2013 but they were a lot more than on Boudicca last week.

Our party had no problem with the formal night dinner photos - in fact one of the best pics of the cruise was taken during the dinner.

I remember the atrium staircase on Oriana being closed for the photoshoot but on Boudicca they dont have an atrium so they have a fake grand staircase backdrop to stand you in front of - not quite the same really.

Someone else refers to the photographer's lack of knowledge - on Oriana our pic with the Captain was marred by the fact that we were standing with another couple who looked utterly miserable.  The photographer simply edited them out and we had a great pic of our happy smiling faces.  On Boudicca I asked the chap if he could photoshop something for me and he didn't know what I was talking about.

Finally, the memento dvd that Olsen asks you to part with £30 for, is something else!

I only got it because the videographer was on one of the tours and I am interested in video anyway.  The sound track quality is good when played through a surround sound system but the commentary is most peculiar.  The female voiceover at first sounds very professional and well-spoken but the pronouciation of some words is most odd and quite hilarious.  I can only assume that the Philipino(?) cameraman puts his own commentary together and then runs it through some sort of voice synthesizer.

Incidentally I didn't pay the full whack either - you can haggle you know!

Good morning Alfie.

I loved your comment about photoshopping.

A true professional.

I cannot remember the exact price we paid for photos on Oriana in 2013 but they were a lot more than on Boudicca last week.

Our party had no problem with the formal night dinner photos - in fact one of the best pics of the cruise was taken during the dinner.

I remember the atrium staircase on Oriana being closed for the photoshoot but on Boudicca they dont have an atrium so they have a fake grand staircase backdrop to stand you in front of - not quite the same really.

Someone else refers to the photographer's lack of knowledge - on Oriana our pic with the Captain was marred by the fact that we were standing with another couple who looked utterly miserable.  The photographer simply edited them out and we had a great pic of our happy smiling faces.  On Boudicca I asked the chap if he could photoshop something for me and he didn't know what I was talking about.

Finally, the memento dvd that Olsen asks you to part with £30 for, is something else!

I only got it because the videographer was on one of the tours and I am interested in video anyway.  The sound track quality is good when played through a surround sound system but the commentary is most peculiar.  The female voiceover at first sounds very professional and well-spoken but the pronouciation of some words is most odd and quite hilarious.  I can only assume that the Philipino(?) cameraman puts his own commentary together and then runs it through some sort of voice synthesizer.

Incidentally I didn't pay the full whack either - you can haggle you know!

Hi Alfie,

I was also on Boudicca last week!!

OWT

But it happens on the majority of cruise ships OldWorldTraveller. Kind of one of those 'traditional things' that folk moan are no longer available.

Certainly on Cunard the photographer will ask if the table would like their pictures taken.

It may be tradition but to interrupt someone's meal to try and sell them something, which after all is what they are trying to do, is rudeness in my book. 

I think one of the problems is that the photographers are a 'concession' as are the shops on board and they seem to think that cruisers have unlimited funds. Personally I think they should be banned from the dining rooms as in my view it is extremely rude to interrupt people at a meal asking to take photos and I know this is a view held by many people.

I have just returned from a cruise on Regent's Seven Seas Mariner.  The cruise line does not employ any photographers, which was really lovely.

I have never understood the logic of these folks.......only recently I was on the Adonia when we were asked on many occasions to have our photo's taken -each time I said we would not purchase at the prices asked but still they insisted on taking them [albeit quite gently] 

Anyway towards the end of the cruise we spotted two composite photographs [one large with two smaller copies] that we liked so I approached the young lady and said that I would like to have two photographs. The asking price was £11.80 for each--I said I would be prepared to pay no more than £20 for the two [which I consider to be more than enough] but she refused my offer-so I walked away as I was not prepared to pay any more -on principle. 

Here's the crazy thing -as I understand it all of those unsold photo's were to be 'rubbished' at the end of the cruise--can anyone tell me the logic? 

Ship photographers are my worst nightmare! They lure around every corner and are sometimes very intrusive, not to mention the astronomical prices they charge.

Anchors-aweigh, I’m really surprised to hear that they turned your offer down! They would’ve only lost a couple of pounds off their asking price if they had, not taking up on your offer meant they lost out completely – more fool them.

Guest Solent Richard

I have never understood the logic of these folks.......only recently I was on the Adonia when we were asked on many occasions to have our photo's taken -each time I said we would not purchase at the prices asked but still they insisted on taking them [albeit quite gently] 

Anyway towards the end of the cruise we spotted two composite photographs [one large with two smaller copies] that we liked so I approached the young lady and said that I would like to have two photographs. The asking price was £11.80 for each--I said I would be prepared to pay no more than £20 for the two [which I consider to be more than enough] but she refused my offer-so I walked away as I was not prepared to pay any more -on principle. 

Here's the crazy thing -as I understand it all of those unsold photo's were to be 'rubbished' at the end of the cruise--can anyone tell me the logic? 

I think you'll find the logic is pretty simple Anchors-Away.

In the first instance there are passengers who are willing to pay for these momentous/keepsakes. I know the prices are harangued by members of various forums but the fact that cannot be escaped is that, wander through the Photo gallery a number of times and you will see passengers there buying not just the photographs but the 'album' deals on offer. Not every cruise passenger has a tight budget. There is actually a lot of money out there.

Secondly, it is, or has been as the case may be, about marketing. These photographs cost an absolute pittance to produce and there they are, winking at the consumer, who actually wants them.

I say 'wants them' almost tongue in cheek. The fact that the prices are discussed so many times on these cruise forums convinces me that, in reality, the photographs are wanted.

Just my view of course.

My daughter was a ships photographer with P&O for 2.5 years - she is a professional photographer with a degree in photography which doesn't come cheap.  There are a few things you need to be aware of before criticising them so harshly

1. They are  NOT employed by P&O but contracted from a company in Southampton - The Ships Photographer.

2.  They are not on a salary but a low percentage of what they make per trip - My daughter did a 29 day  cruise over Christmas and New Year and earned £161 for the 29 days work - That worked out to £40.25 a week - a junior photographer earned even less.

3.  They do not get tips 

4.  They work long hours taking, editing and printing your photographs to ensure all your photographs are to a high standard ready for the next day

5. They are all qualified photographers who have undergone a rigorous recruiting process

6. They are employed to provide a premium service which if you went down the high street would cost a lot more

7. They also carry out one to one tutorials on photography, run camera clubs on board and produce videos

If you do not want your picture taken a simple polite NO is sufficient, there is no need to be rude as they are only doing there job or give a long winded excuse as to why you do not want your picture taken.  They enjoy interacting with the passengers and do not try to hard sell their work.  Their aim is to provide you with a professional service that give you quality memories of a special holiday.

Hi fredjwatts, welcome to the forum and your first post.

You are however talking about P&O and it should be remembered that there are another 60+ cruise lines out there, some of whom may not have such exacting standards.

I have no doubt about what you say but it does not however negate the fact that interrupting people at an evening meal is bad manners.

OWT

When on Aurora this March we where asked once at the dining table, which we all refused and we where never interrupted again Just a polite no thank-you and that was the end of it.

And even on the formal nights they would ask as you walked by, again a polite no thank-you and it never even spoilt our cruise.wink.png

When on Aurora this March we where asked once at the dining table, which we all refused and we where never interrupted again Just a polite no thank-you and that was the end of it.

And even on the formal nights they would ask as you walked by, again a polite no thank-you and it never even spoilt our cruise.wink.png

Unfortunately not the same on all cruise ships Ron, wish it were. ;)

Guest shilly3191

Dont have and never have had a problem with ship's photographers on any ship a polite "no thank you" is usually suffice and as far as the photographs taken around the ship nobody forces you to have a photograph taken. End of the day they are only doing their job and there must be a demand or else the company wouldnt pay P&O for the privilege.

Dont have and never have had a problem with ship's photographers on any ship a polite "no thank you" is usually suffice and as far as the photographs taken around the ship nobody forces you to have a photograph taken. End of the day they are only doing their job and there must be a demand or else the company wouldnt pay P&O for the privilege.

Glad you don't have a problem with them Shilly3191 but many do. Yes a polite 'no thank you' works but like many others I get fed up with saying it. If I want my photo taken I will ask I don't want to be saying a polite 'no thank you' every time I leave the ship, attend a function, have dinner on a formal night and any other occasion they can find. I was on a Scenic ship 3 weeks ago and not a photographer in sight, wonderful. Last week on Boudicca they only came out on one formal night but I wonder what it will be like this week on Anthem of the Seas.

Hi OWT.  I hope you enjoyed your cruise as much as we did.  We were Fred.O first timers but were favourably impressed.

Tell me, OWT - do Azamara have on-board photographers?

Yes they do but they are not so much in evidence as some lines. Glad you enjoyed your cruise. I was on a table in Heligan Restaurant which I found excellent. Shame it was so foggy on the last day although it gave me time to start writing my article. Do you remember this song from the 'Crew Show', I loved it.  

Thanks for the info re Azamara OWT.

Yes I do remember that song from the cruise talent show.  We hugely enjoyed the show and were impressed by the way the various crew members entered into the spirit of the evening. 

Our party of 7 were also in the Heligan Restaurant. 

Did you have the magic wardrobes in your cabin where all your clothes shrink?  Still struggling to get my weight back down.

For sure this question comes up on every cruise forum I have been part of. 

It is a concession that rents space from the cruise lines and so the profit margin is needed and as to more people would buy if lower , perhaps but as that new price point became the norm then the regular nayers would surface again.

A polite No Thank you does the trick and for the evening shot , for a few minutes of our time, why not , not a biggie and we normally find one that is nice.

You can also ask them to take a special photo of you around the ship , just ask

They also offer many alternatives as in digital form , access to server once home to make a photo album, DVD of cruise , usual keychains and stuff , not forget batteries, new cameras

As to cost , well except for you and a  selfie or friends taking , how many times do you get a quality photo taken of you and the price point with that is not much more than at home/

Seasoned cruisers of course become selective which is why they make the monies on those who are just on their first few cruises or honeymooners or families or sports

All part of the experience smile.png

Guest Solent Richard

For sure this question comes up on every cruise forum I have been part of. 

It is a concession that rents space from the cruise lines and so the profit margin is needed and as to more people would buy if lower , perhaps but as that new price point became the norm then the regular nayers would surface again.

A polite No Thank you does the trick and for the evening shot , for a few minutes of our time, why not , not a biggie and we normally find one that is nice.

You can also ask them to take a special photo of you around the ship , just ask

They also offer many alternatives as in digital form , access to server once home to make a photo album, DVD of cruise , usual keychains and stuff , not forget batteries, new cameras

As to cost , well except for you and a  selfie or friends taking , how many times do you get a quality photo taken of you and the price point with that is not much more than at home/

Seasoned cruisers of course become selective which is why they make the monies on those who are just on their first few cruises or honeymooners or families or sports

All part of the experience smile.png

Could not agree more Rob.

The point is that most passengers want these photographs but some, and it appears mainly those on forums, don't want to pay the price.

As I often say, just take the time to wander through the Photo Gallery and see how many are buying. 

And not just the photographs. Even I was amazed at the numbers buying the albums a photo frames on board Britannia.

Thanks for the info re Azamara OWT.

Yes I do remember that song from the cruise talent show.  We hugely enjoyed the show and were impressed by the way the various crew members entered into the spirit of the evening. 

Our party of 7 were also in the Heligan Restaurant. 

Did you have the magic wardrobes in your cabin where all your clothes shrink?  Still struggling to get my weight back down.

Am now on Anthem of the Seas so clothes still shrinking. It's the sea air has that effect on clothes!!