Ship's Photographers!

I have never understood the logic of these folks.......only recently I was on the Adonia when we were asked on many occasions to have our photo's taken -each time I said we would not purchase at the prices asked but still they insisted on taking them [albeit quite gently] 

Anyway towards the end of the cruise we spotted two composite photographs [one large with two smaller copies] that we liked so I approached the young lady and said that I would like to have two photographs. The asking price was £11.80 for each--I said I would be prepared to pay no more than £20 for the two [which I consider to be more than enough] but she refused my offer-so I walked away as I was not prepared to pay any more -on principle. 

Here's the crazy thing -as I understand it all of those unsold photo's were to be 'rubbished' at the end of the cruise--can anyone tell me the logic? 

The fact they can refuse your offer and taking into account the number they actually sell compared with the number thrown away goes some way to giving a clue to their profit margin. It has often been said that if they reduced the cost they would sell more. Also less to dispose of thus helping the environment. Like you Anchors-aweigh I cannot understand the logic, if indeed there is any.

When I first started cruising the photographs were around A5 size and half the price which I think wasn't a bad price. Now they are nearer to A4 which, lets face it, we don't all really need a ships photo of that size, so why can't they just put them back to how they were. They would probably sell more. The other thing is that they always pounce on you at inopportune moments  I for one hate it when they do the restaurant table photos and you have dirty dishes etc in front of you. 

I just don't bother anymore.

We don't buy photos and avoid having them taken whenever we can politely do so. With regard to prices, although I think they are very high, I suspect that they are priced to produce the maximum profit. Other on board prices are similarly fixed. We often read in reviews "If the drinks were priced lower they would sell more". They are not interested in selling more, they are interested in making more money, and their bean counters keep a close eye on sales and profit margins. Long ago I studied economics in university. I can't really remember much of what I learned, but I do remember that there is a price point that produces maximum profit. Any higher and sales will fall, any lower and the cost of selling (staff, facilities etc) will be more expensive and reduce profit.

I think that what you are referring to in economics is a variant of the Laffer curve, usually referred to in relation to tax (i.e. there is no tax income at either zero or 100% tax rates but somewhere in between is a tax rate that brings in maximum income).

The cruise managements must feel that the photo pricing is at the right point on the curve for them, but if people do not buy then the price must be reduced.

I would have passed on a photo but my wife insisted on having one taken.

She then e mailed it to our daughter under the caption "cheesy photo", and I then received a present from our daughter of a mug with the photo on that I have to bring out every time my daughter visits.

Two points I would make -the first purely practical. On the Adonia the photographs are displayed in the main passageway to the theatre so one has to barge through those looking for their photographs. Secondly the sheer waste of those hundreds/thousands of photos would suggest putting them on some decent sized monitor/monitors with a numbered code for those who DO want to purchase .....

Two points I would make -the first purely practical. On the Adonia the photographs are displayed in the main passageway to the theatre so one has to barge through those looking for their photographs. Secondly the sheer waste of those hundreds/thousands of photos would suggest putting them on some decent sized monitor/monitors with a numbered code for those who DO want to purchase .....

Good morning Anchors-aweigh. Many of the modern cruise ships now operate the system you suggest. Certainly Celebrity, RCI, MSC and others.

The cruise managements must feel that the photo pricing is at the right point on the curve for them, but if people do not buy then the price must be reduced.

I think one of the problems is that the photographers are a 'concession' as are the shops on board and they seem to think that cruisers have unlimited funds. Personally I think they should be banned from the dining rooms as in my view it is extremely rude to interrupt people at a meal asking to take photos and I know this is a view held by many people.

I have never understood the logic of these folks.......only recently I was on the Adonia when we were asked on many occasions to have our photo's taken -each time I said we would not purchase at the prices asked but still they insisted on taking them [albeit quite gently] 

Anyway towards the end of the cruise we spotted two composite photographs [one large with two smaller copies] that we liked so I approached the young lady and said that I would like to have two photographs. The asking price was £11.80 for each--I said I would be prepared to pay no more than £20 for the two [which I consider to be more than enough] but she refused my offer-so I walked away as I was not prepared to pay any more -on principle. 

Here's the crazy thing -as I understand it all of those unsold photo's were to be 'rubbished' at the end of the cruise--can anyone tell me the logic? 

I was informed that the photo is removed from the paper and it is used again.

Guest Solent Richard

Good morning Anchors-aweigh. Many of the modern cruise ships now operate the system you suggest. Certainly Celebrity, RCI, MSC and others.

And right on queue with a photograph...

16076502950_e84bc8df56_z.jpg

That was on board Queen Elizabeth in January this year.

And on Hapag-Lloyd last September...

15425731082_0eded1e4b7_z.jpg

They had this great system of placing your digital images on a memory stick...

15425800342_d1c125b7f4_z.jpg

Guest Solent Richard

Incidentally, on reflection to the above comment of mine, the prices of the digital versions on Haag-Lloyd weren't exactly commensurate with the paper saving and on Queen Elizabeth I noticed no difference in price when i purchased a photograph.

Guest Solent Richard

I have never understood why they do not offer photos at a more reasonable price and they would then sell them all. There is just no rhyme or reason to the exorbitant prices they charge.

If I could have a £ for every time I have heard that expression Buggalugs.

The point being that passengers do buy these photographs and in a quantity that makes it worthwhile offering the service.

on our last ones on p&o azura and ventura they had the monitors which were brilliant, but still printed them off and displayed them, that makes even less sense. on our last oriana they didnt have screens but displayed the photo to you after it was taken with a buy it here and now or it will be deleted!! havnt seen that come back so you can imagine what people have been saying about that.

• 1 month later...

I've just got back from Oceana, and the photographers were a pain. If you went into the restaurant they were there, sailaway they were there, go ashore, yes, they were there, but the best was one evening they closed the stairs in the Antrium so they  could do

portraits. Rant over, apart from those "Pests" the Oceana was a great ship

Hi  I no longer buy the ship's photograph although I did purchase a few when I first started cruising.  On most cruise lines a polite but firm refusal to have my picture taken works well but I have had my meal disrupted while the photographer composes the image for those who wish to have a photograph of themselves in the dining room.  One of the minor advantages of sailing with Silversea is that their ships do not have photographers on board.

my own experience of cruise ship photographers are very intrusive, very expensive and very inexperienced. when asking a "professional " photographer on board one of the boats to run over a few things on my new camera i was amazed that they did not even know how to turn it on and nearly broke it despite it being an upgraded model to the one they use. Back to the point. I print my own photos when i return from holiday and it costs me ten pence for a A4 size print. just shows how much profit they try to make per photograph. If the were more realistic with the pricing more travellers would by them and fewer would end up in the shredder.

I cannot remember the exact price we paid for photos on Oriana in 2013 but they were a lot more than on Boudicca last week.

Our party had no problem with the formal night dinner photos - in fact one of the best pics of the cruise was taken during the dinner.

I remember the atrium staircase on Oriana being closed for the photoshoot but on Boudicca they dont have an atrium so they have a fake grand staircase backdrop to stand you in front of - not quite the same really.

Someone else refers to the photographer's lack of knowledge - on Oriana our pic with the Captain was marred by the fact that we were standing with another couple who looked utterly miserable.  The photographer simply edited them out and we had a great pic of our happy smiling faces.  On Boudicca I asked the chap if he could photoshop something for me and he didn't know what I was talking about.

Finally, the memento dvd that Olsen asks you to part with £30 for, is something else!

I only got it because the videographer was on one of the tours and I am interested in video anyway.  The sound track quality is good when played through a surround sound system but the commentary is most peculiar.  The female voiceover at first sounds very professional and well-spoken but the pronouciation of some words is most odd and quite hilarious.  I can only assume that the Philipino(?) cameraman puts his own commentary together and then runs it through some sort of voice synthesizer.

Incidentally I didn't pay the full whack either - you can haggle you know!

Guest Solent Richard

To interrupt someone's meal to try and take their photograph in my book is the height of rudeness.

But it happens on the majority of cruise ships OldWorldTraveller. Kind of one of those 'traditional things' that folk moan are no longer available.

Certainly on Cunard the photographer will ask if the table would like their pictures taken.