Sign in to follow this  
DavidH

Halong Bay

Morning All,

Have just received our electronic documentation for our Hong Kong to Singapore cruise on Celebrity Millenium starting in around a month's time.  The ship is scheduled to be in Halong Bay from 07.00hrs on Wednesday 18 to 13.00hrs on Thursday 19 March - the main attraction for me on this particular trip.

I am trying to research possible overnight mini-cruises on a locally based boat  that might get us to more intimate areas than Millenium will access and thus give us more of a feel for the area.  The only water based excursion on offer from Celebrity is a half day trip.  Similarly, that's all I could find from "Cruising Excursions" website.

I have trawled through other posts about the area on this site but not picked up anything specifically on one night cruises (though I have picked up lots of other useful stuff) and wondered if anyone had any experience or information to offer?

Would appreciate any help we can get.

David

Guest Solent Richard

Good morning David.

An admirable idea and one I would think not insurmountable.

I cruised for 3 days, 2 nights last November on this ship...

15352163924_72e82d2aae_z.jpg

as part of an overall package. It was outstanding.

The companies name was Aucocruises.

I have just dug out my onboard account and note that there is an email address for their sales department.

[email protected]

You have nothing to lose by enquiring if they do full day/ single over nighters.

Another suggestion. From this photograph you can see that there are plenty of other vessels in the area...

15352159944_a15f5d2b59_z.jpg

When I was there in 2004 I actually hired a smaller 'day' boat myself. They were readily available and catered for all sorts of groups and, as in my case, a single passenger.

The best of luck and do let me know how you get on.

PS. Those are the 'day' boats just in front of the white one tied up at the jetty. The other nearer ones are the tenders from the larger overnight boats anchored off.

Thanks Richard.  Will explore the link and consider the day boat option.  That sounds a great idea.  We've been in touch with Celebrity and now know where our tender will set us down.

Appreciate your help.

Hi Richard,

Just to let you know that I contacted aucocruises and found them extremely helpful.  After considerable research, we decided that their recommendation of a 2 day Legend Private Cruise was exactly what the four of us were looking for and I have, today, confirmed the booking with them.  It ticks all the boxes in terms of itinerary and, with just the four of us on board, we're looking forward to a fascinating excursion.

The trip is run by Bhaya Cruises and included in our package are private transfers to their base on Tuan Chau Island from and back to, Bai Chay Ferry, where Millenium is scheduled to tender in.  I understand it's around a 40 minute journey.  We will check in at 12.30hrs on day 1 and check out at 10.30hrs on day 2, so should be back in plenty of time to rejoin our ship before she sails at 13.00hrs.

I hope to be able to submit a review to the forum on our return at the end of March, though I still don't have a clue how to include photos.  Maybe someone could point me in the right direction on that one (hint, hint)?

Thanks again for your help.

Guest Solent Richard

Hi Richard,

Just to let you know that I contacted aucocruises and found them extremely helpful.  After considerable research, we decided that their recommendation of a 2 day Legend Private Cruise was exactly what the four of us were looking for and I have, today, confirmed the booking with them.  It ticks all the boxes in terms of itinerary and, with just the four of us on board, we're looking forward to a fascinating excursion.

The trip is run by Bhaya Cruises and included in our package are private transfers to their base on Tuan Chau Island from and back to, Bai Chay Ferry, where Millenium is scheduled to tender in.  I understand it's around a 40 minute journey.  We will check in at 12.30hrs on day 1 and check out at 10.30hrs on day 2, so should be back in plenty of time to rejoin our ship before she sails at 13.00hrs.

I hope to be able to submit a review to the forum on our return at the end of March, though I still don't have a clue how to include photos.  Maybe someone could point me in the right direction on that one (hint, hint)?

Thanks again for your help.

That's Brilliant David and I'm so pleased I played a small part in the making.

I can only assume that with their expertise they will do exactly what they did for us and veritably whisked us through the queues at Sun Sot cave...

15797051908_ae1d829f96_z.jpg

This is the view you will get from the top...

15972445961_865fdd8b5d_z.jpg

Now my task for this week is to get some hints and tips on publishing photographs on here.

It will be done.

Hi David, it is great that you have got it all organised and I really do hope that you have a wonderful time and that Ha Long Bay lives up to all your expectations. Like you it was a place I was very keen on visiting and did so last year (27/28th Feb) as an extension to a Viking river cruise on the Mekong.

Unfortunately the bay was enveloped in a sea mist and visibility was poor.

I am sure you will be luckier than I was but I thought that I would warn you just in case, so that you are prepared for the possibility of a disappointment.

Good luck and have a great trip, Barryh

Hi David, it is great that you have got it all organised and I really do hope that you have a wonderful time and that Ha Long Bay lives up to all your expectations. Like you it was a place I was very keen on visiting and did so last year (27/28th Feb) as an extension to a Viking river cruise on the Mekong.

I am sure you will be luckier than I was but I thought that I would warn you just in case, so that you are prepared for the possibility of a disappointment.

Thanks Barryh,

In fact we've been back from our trip for over 3 weeks now but, as I've been in and out of hospital during the intervening time for a knee joint replacement operation, I've not managed to get round to posting a review.  Suffice to say we did pretty well for the weather in Halong Bay and had a fantastic experience, of which, more anon.

Guest Solent Richard

Good morning Barry.

I'd be very interested in hearing about the Mekong element of your holiday.

My wife and I cruised the Mekong in November last year and had a wonderful time. 

16761302402_0496661f7c_z.jpg

Guest Solent Richard

Hello, I am planning to book a Halong Bay cruise in April 2016, is that a good time? What should I do: to book in advance or when I arrive in Vietnam? Help me, please.

Good afternoon again Stephanie.

If you scroll up to David H's post of 18 February you will have your answer.

Best advice, book online in advance. Secure your place as this may be a once in a lifetime experience.

Hello, I am planning to book a Halong Bay cruise in April 2016, is that a good time? What should I do: to book in advance or when I arrive in Vietnam? Help me, please.

Hi Stephanie,

As SR has said, if you check out my post from 18 Feb 20015 you will pick up on the site to explore. Cannot recommend too highly. We had a great experience of Halong Bay on our overnight private cruise. Go for it!!

DavidH