Sign in to follow this  
Guest shilly3191

Blankenberge

Guest shilly3191

Anyone docked at Zeebrugge and stayed in Blankenberge rather than catch the train into Bruges. We have done Bruges in the past and wondered if there is enough or anything interesting to do in Blankenberge. It is also a Sunday so it might limit our choices.

I had a walk down to the beach once after getting back a bit early from Bruges but it was piddling down with rain so didn't stay out long and might not have seen all there is to offer. Lots of chocolate shops as you can imagine but cannot recall much else - somebody else might offer more info… sorry.

Guest Solent Richard

Anyone docked at Zeebrugge and stayed in Blankenberge rather than catch the train into Bruges. We have done Bruges in the past and wondered if there is enough or anything interesting to do in Blankenberge. It is also a Sunday so it might limit our choices.

If you've done Bruges and a sunday in Blankenburg doesn't appeal then my best advice is either go to Ghent...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/05/21/one-way-to-do-zeebrugge-ghent-edition/

gravensteen-the-castle-of-the-count-c2a9

...or take a ship's excursion to the World War I cemeteries.

We are wondering whether to stay in Blankenberge too this year, we are also there on a Sunday. We have visited Ghent and Ypres on separate short breaks and Bruges several times from cruises as well as a short break. The last time we visited from a cruise the other couples on our table stayed in Blankenberge and said they had a great time. There was quite a lot going on that day though, a royal visit and a Navy day  in Zeebrugge . So our current thought is to see what the weather is like and if Blankenburge looks lively on the day. If not we get the train to Bruges and visit the excellent terrace bar by the canal for a little beer tasting.

Hi shilly, I have been to Blankenburg but it was many yeas ago and my memory is of a typical seaside town. I also went to Ghent and totally agree wit SolentRichard a much more interesting place to visit, but as I said it was many years ago. Did go to Bruges last May and that was exactly as I remembered it from those many years ago when my sister and I spent a great week in Belgium.

I am sure you will enjoy it wherever you go.

We got the tram (from close to the dock gates). This is a modern tram which runs the length of the Belgian coast.  We went to De Haan about 20 mins along the coast (past Blankenburg).  This is a very attractive seaside town with some beautiful 1920s houses.

Guest Solent Richard

We got the tram (from close to the dock gates). This is a modern tram which runs the length of the Belgian coast.  We went to De Haan about 20 mins along the coast (past Blankenburg).  This is a very attractive seaside town with some beautiful 1920s houses.

Great comment LF1 and I'm glad you confirmed what i advised in June this year - using the tram.

Another example of how this forum offers the best genuine advice to cruisers.