Deceitful Advertising In The Cruise Industry

Hi Many cruise lines advertise "free" packages to encourage passengers to book a cruise.  However, if you look at the price of the boarding fare it's obvious in most cases that the so called free items have already been incorporated into the cost of the holiday.  Should free really mean free or should this potential deceitful practice be allowed to continue and it's upto the individual to decide what is fair?

many of the cruise companies are advertising 'free' drinks . When reading the details some include all drinks except for premium brands while others it is actually onboard credit to spend on drinks and the amount would scarcely buy a bottle of wine. I find this misleading why not just advertise the onboard credit? Or do they hope people will book thinking they are getting free drinks and not find out until they read the small print and it is too late.

I agree it all deceitful advertising. I like to cruise on Cunard and I am going on a cruise in the near future .They have an advert on the bottom of this page as I write stating

New! Inclusive drinks on selected dates.  I am not a cruise on  this date .

Now I checked this out and it only applies if you have book paying full fare. If you have got a chaeapie it is not available and even by booking the full fare to include the drink you are no better off, unless of course you are going in the Grills. In a word it is a "con"

I would rather book a cabin I want and buy the drinks at normal price as I am not a big drinker anyway so nothing to gain there and I do not drink sodas etc.

I've just filled out 2 surveys from P&O in the last few weeks. One asking which destinations I like to go to and the length of cruise I'd be likely to book and the other my preferences. Both surveys had 2 sections asking for the same information. I had to'Agree strongly' down to Disagree strongly' to various statements. One of them was with regard to All Inclusive holidays. I wonder if P&O are thinking of doing this if they get a positive response? My overall impression from the other 'statements' was that P&O were trying to find out whether becoming the 'Easyjet' of the cruising world was going to more appealing to todays and tomorrows cruiserssad.png

I've just filled out 2 surveys from P&O in the last few weeks. One asking which destinations I like to go to and the length of cruise I'd be likely to book and the other my preferences. Both surveys had 2 sections asking for the same information. I had to'Agree strongly' down to Disagree strongly' to various statements. One of them was with regard to All Inclusive holidays. I wonder if P&O are thinking of doing this if they get a positive response? My overall impression from the other 'statements' was that P&O were trying to find out whether becoming the 'Easyjet' of the cruising world was going to more appealing to todays and tomorrows cruiserssad.png

Hi  Thanks for your input.  It's interesting that you think P&O may be thinking of going "all inclusive" or a no frills cruise line.  Although there is no right or wrong answer to either cruise style, I prefer a more inclusive nature but I have only experienced this on more expensive cruise lines.  I think if the cruise price was cheap it may entice "the wrong type of passenger' to sail i.e those who would drink much more than they should (I've paid for it so I will get my money's worth) and as a consequence see a decrease in the behaviour expected.  I accept this may not be case but I wouldn't wish to see whether I am right or wrong.

Hi  Thanks for your input.  It's interesting that you think P&O may be thinking of going "all inclusive" or a no frills cruise line.  Although there is no right or wrong answer to either cruise style, I prefer a more inclusive nature but I have only experienced this on more expensive cruise lines.  I think if the cruise price was cheap it may entice "the wrong type of passenger' to sail i.e those who would drink much more than they should (I've paid for it so I will get my money's worth) and as a consequence see a decrease in the behaviour expected.  I accept this may not be case but I wouldn't wish to see whether I am right or wrong.

That's a bit judgemental isn't it?

Just who are the "right sort of passenger" as I've seen many Lords a Leaping (xmas theme) whilst as drunk as..... erm....Lords..

But going back to the OP..I wonder if any of the fine upstanding members of this forum has ever refused these "freebies" and asked for a cruise price without them.

That's a bit judgemental isn't it?

Just who are the "right sort of passenger" as I've seen many Lords a Leaping (xmas theme) whilst as drunk as..... erm....Lords..

But going back to the OP..I wonder if any of the fine upstanding members of this forum has ever refused these "freebies" and asked for a cruise price without them.

Hi  Is it judgemental but as I said it may not be the case, but I don't wish to spend my money on a cruise which may be spoilt when I know on other lines this has not been the case.

Why do people pick out P&O to become the Easyjet of cruising don't some cruise lines already do All Inclusive? it annoys me that people always seem IMO to pick out P&O as the poor man's cruise line.sad.png

Why do people pick out P&O to become the Easyjet of cruising don't some cruise lines already do All Inclusive? it annoys me that people always seem IMO to pick out P&O as the poor man's cruise line.sad.png

Hi  I suppose most of the "all inclusive" cruise lines are not in the same market as P&O (Crystal, Silversea, Regent, Seabourn, Azamara,etc) so it unlikely many people  will accuse them of dumbing down.  P&O have done themselves little favour, the company is no doubt successful, but the cruise experience offered is now not of the highest quality  I gave up using this cruise line years ago, (it no longer met my expectations) and so it easy for me and others to suggest it's the Easy Jet of the cruise market, however, I could include quite a few other cruise lines in the same bracket.

I would doubt if anyone really believes these deals are free.  They are free if you pay the inflated price, and this may have an appeal to some people who like to know the cost of their holiday up front.  Personally, not being a heavy drinker, I would never pay extra for a 'free' drink package, because I would feel as if I was subsidizing those who drink more.  These promotions have led us to book inside cabins when we travel on Celebrity, since these do not qualify for 'freebies' they are priced very well.

Ron if you read what I said, I wasn't referring simply to All inclusive. It was the majority of the other 'statements' they asked me to agree or disagree with that made me come to that conclusion. For example one of the statements was (I can't remember the exact wording ) 'I'm on holiday and I prefer to wear what I like'. Another was with regard to whether I liked formal nights or not.Yet another was 'I always research my holiday to get the cheapest deal I can'(or words to that effect). What do you think they were trying to find out?? As I said earlier were they trying to find out if the 'Easy jet' route was the way to go.