People Arriving Late In The Theatre

Do you think that before we take a 'High and Mighty' attitude as to lateness we should look at the reasons for lateness. Yes there are some who turn up late with the "I've paid my fare and will do what I want" attitude but what what about others. What about those that have been delayed in the dining room through no fault of their own but down to slow service between courses. What about those who are 'Freedom Dining' and were not able to get a table at the time they wanted to fit in with the show, people whose tours have returned late necessitating them to dine in the buffet because they have missed their sitting. Should these people be made to miss the show by closing the doors?  I spend a lot of time on cruise ships and have personally experienced these situations. Perhaps the answer is to have only one entrance door available after the start of the performance, manned by a member of the crew who ushers the late comers quietly to a seat at the rear of the theatre. As always, just my opinion.

We had a set of waiters who always served our table last. We repeatedly complained but they always served another table first and as the other table was always the last to arrive we never finished dinner until after 10.30pm. We didn't get to see a single show on that cruise because my husband refuses to go into the theater after a show has started. I think the late shows should be 15 mins later or dinner 15 mins earlier.

We had a set of waiters who always served our table last. We repeatedly complained but they always served another table first and as the other table was always the last to arrive we never finished dinner until after 10.30pm. We didn't get to see a single show on that cruise because my husband refuses to go into the theater after a show has started. I think the late shows should be 15 mins later or dinner 15 mins earlier.

If that would have happened to me after 2-3 nights I would have spoken to the Restaurant Manager

On a Fred Olsen cruise last year they were trialling doing the shows earlier so you watched the show & then went for dinner. It also meant that there was plenty of time to do other stuff after dinner. Seemed to work well but I don't know if they still do it.

We would definately miss the shows that way! We have to go on the later dinner sitting so we have time to get ready and have a nice cocktail before we eat. There would never be enough time that way, as we get older we need more time to get ready.

Several cruise lines have started the system of late diners see the show whilst early sitting are eating and early diners see the show whilst late diners are eating and it seems to work well as it can be timed so that no one misses out. Of course you will never please everyone as some moan at every given opportunity, but it certainly seems to work well for the vast majority.

Several cruise lines have started the system of late diners see the show whilst early sitting are eating and early diners see the show whilst late diners are eating and it seems to work well as it can be timed so that no one misses out. Of course you will never please everyone as some moan at every given opportunity, but it certainly seems to work well for the vast majority.

I am not a moaner but, to fit everything in, the day would need to be significantly compressed if the show worked his way. It does, of course, make life easy for the performers who are paid to entertain us.

Thomson and Airtours used to close the doors in fact they are the only companies I can remember doing so, they should close the doors the Queen Victoria was the worst case, we sat behind the grill about a 3rd of the way down n  slightly raised seats, before us was  what we used to call the stalls the very front seats about 10 rows, the people   talking  while making their way to these seats was very distracting.

If that would have happened to me after 2-3 nights I would have spoken to the Restaurant Manager

We did several times,as did the others on our table.The waiters then brought our starters straight away. But by the time they were serving the main courses we were back to being served last. One night we waited 50 mins from finishing our starter to main courses being served. 

We did several times,as did the others on our table.The waiters then brought our starters straight away. But by the time they were serving the main courses we were back to being served last. One night we waited 50 mins from finishing our starter to main courses being served.

You removed your gratuties and then made it known the waiters woukd get them once they served you properly.

I do not condone people wandering into a theatre after the start of a show.  On a Carnival ship I have seen the theatre doors closed - we'd already seen the show so did not want to enter - but noticed that the doors were shut.  Consider this:  on a cruise of ours - seated at a table for six, one man talk talked and talked, setting down his knife and fork between each mouthful, going endlessly on and on, and in the end his selfishness made us very late indeed in finishing dinner, and more than once my husband and I had to run - yes run - to the theatre in order to get there in time because of a self-centred, self absorbed fellow diner who liked the sound of his own voice !!!!!   We made our excuses and said, we wish to see the show so please excuse us !   That some passengers are late for a show is not always due to bad manners or ignorance ! 

That is exactly why we like freedom dining.  if we are in a hurry to get to the theatre we can sit at a table for two and skip dessert if necessary.  We try to time our meals to fit in with theatre times, and while we have no objection to people trying every course and eating slowly we do not necessarily want to be delayed by them.  If by any chance we are late arriving at the theatre we stand at the back unless a couple of aisle seats are available near the back.  Cruise ship theatres we have experienced have the doors set well back from the seating area so very little light gets in if the doors are open.

Perhaps the waiters could act as door minders and stop anyone entering once the performance has begun - no problems that way. The interesting thing about this discussion is in 2010 on Oriana if you were not in the theatre on time there would be no seats to sit in. We often arrived just before the start only to find it was standing room only. These days there are usually seats to be had ..... Says it all.

I agree with the OP completely. Furthermore, people also seem to think it is OK to sit by the aisle so that they can rush out at the end of a show or presentation in the theatre before the performance or speaker has finished. This in my oinion is also extremely rude and selfish but sadly this sums up some of the mindless people who choose to cruise. Sorry to go on but rant now over.

I am severely diabetic and need to have an insulin injection very soon after the meal. I have made a choice not to do this at the table which might offend other passengers, and not to go to the nearest "ladies" and put needles, syringe etc on worktops where people coming out of the cubicles are washing their hands.  So I go back to the cabin.  The injection takes all of 30 seconds but I sometimes have to walk the length of the ship to our cabin and back again to the Theatre.  We refuse to reserve a seat so my husband waits for me and we go in together.

There are occasions when the meal is slightly late (eg Gala day)  and there is no chance of getting back in time - so we wait until there is an appropriate gap and walk in quietly.  Occasionally we have been very late so then opt for the second performance later .

I agree - sometimes people have good reasons why they are late but I still consider it rude to impose my problem on others.  What gets up my nose more is the reservation of seats when there are few seats left.  We have been asked not to keep seats but people still do it - come on staff - do your stuff and place people waiting and fill up the empty seats regardless if someone is "coming soon"!