People Arriving Late In The Theatre

What really annoys me is that so many people seem to think that because "entertainment is all included in your ticket price" that it entitles them to disregard the good manners and rules about arriving late at the theatre. On land, when the performance starts, the doors are closed and you are not allowed to take your seat unless/until there is a convenient break in the programme or show. The only exception to this is generally one-person shows given by comedians - and serve you right if you arrive late for one of their performances.

Isn't it about time that cruise lines started putting notices outside theatres warning passengers that the doors will be closed. Perhaps as a compromise, they could direct people to an upper level or side entrance, allowing them to stand at the back only even?

I do not condone people wandering into a theatre after the start of a show.  On a Carnival ship I have seen the theatre doors closed - we'd already seen the show so did not want to enter - but noticed that the doors were shut.  Consider this:  on a cruise of ours - seated at a table for six, one man talk talked and talked, setting down his knife and fork between each mouthful, going endlessly on and on, and in the end his selfishness made us very late indeed in finishing dinner, and more than once my husband and I had to run - yes run - to the theatre in order to get there in time because of a self-centred, self absorbed fellow diner who liked the sound of his own voice !!!!!   We made our excuses and said, we wish to see the show so please excuse us !   That some passengers are late for a show is not always due to bad manners or ignorance ! 

Couldn't agree with you more Captain Martini, If you dont get to the venue on time dont go in its just bad manners. The same goes for the passengers who are late back to the ship!! I can understand a wait if a tour is delayed but  for those odd people who push it to the limit insterad of when they are supposed to be back I would be harsh & go without them. Lateness is a real pet hate, whether its doctors, dentists or in the bank why make appointments if you cant keep to time

This is the one thing that concerns me about the new trend in Select/Anytime/Freestyle/Freedom/Dynamic Dining that's coming out.  It offers great flexibility but when shows are at set times anyway it sort of makes sense to have everyone eating at the same time too!

Hi  I couldn't agree more with your views.  However, I can understand why latecomers come in the theatre, it's easy to stop though, the cruise lines should ban entry.  What annoys me even more is the small minority of passengers who continue to hold conservations during the performances.

This is the one thing that concerns me about the new trend in Select/Anytime/Freestyle/Freedom/Dynamic Dining that's coming out.  It offers great flexibility but when shows are at set times anyway it sort of makes sense to have everyone eating at the same time too!

Now the Aurora has freedom dining it will be our first experience of being on a ship with that choice. We have still opted for club dining but I have wondered how it's going to affect the theatre. unsure.png

I have never entered the theatre if the doors have been closed.  When the lights go down I think it is disturbing to have the door opening letting light from outside the theatre come in to the darkened auditorium.  I'm amazed at those diners who are so self-absorbed that they have no consideration for their fellow diners who have to wait for them before they can be served with the next course and go on to do other things after dinner.  It is these self-absorbed passengers who are ignorant. 

When in the dinning room some like to try all the courses others don't why should somebody not be able to enjoy their food? I would not be calling them self-absorbed or ignorant it all comes down to lots of factors such as how many tables your waiters have and how large those tables are, how fast people order how fast the food comes and how fast people eat. As I am a slow eater I usually eat till the person in the group has finished then I finish mine (my choice) but the cruises I have been on I have very rarely seen the theatre doors closed there has always been one open and if I am enjoying watch a show I would not know if anyone had entered or not as my eyes are facing front.

On the ships that I have been on the doors are way back from the main stage, there are double curtains which are not exactly across each other and a person can enter the theatre without actually disturbing the curtains as a result of which no light is let in. Even if it did, it would not be that intense that it would floodlight the whole theatre!

Usually theatre timings appear to be set to comply with theatre goers leaving the dining room, but it is usually those diners that need to sit front of stage so supposedly get the best view and seats that moan when their dining companions take time to enjoy their meal. Just my opinion.

Guest Solent Richard

What really annoys me is that so many people seem to think that because "entertainment is all included in your ticket price" that it entitles them to disregard the good manners and rules about arriving late at the theatre. On land, when the performance starts, the doors are closed and you are not allowed to take your seat unless/until there is a convenient break in the programme or show. The only exception to this is generally one-person shows given by comedians - and serve you right if you arrive late for one of their performances.

Isn't it about time that cruise lines started putting notices outside theatres warning passengers that the doors will be closed. Perhaps as a compromise, they could direct people to an upper level or side entrance, allowing them to stand at the back only even?

Good afternoon Captain martini.

Wow, the second response from me to you on the same day. I'm with you all the way here.

In fact I'd go further. I'd include daytime lectures. 

And the very worse culprits are those who arrive late and then leave early.

Grrrrrrrrrr.

Guest Solent Richard

There's a lot of negativity going on the forum recently. I logged on today to cheer myself up with tales of peoples holiday experiences and photos and all i've read so far is people moaning!

I think i'll come back another day smile.png

Good afternoon Matilda.

Pop over onto my Digital Postcards from Ha Long Bay thread. 

My picture should cheer you up.

wink.png wink.png

• 2 months later...

Do you think that before we take a 'High and Mighty' attitude as to lateness we should look at the reasons for lateness. Yes there are some who turn up late with the "I've paid my fare and will do what I want" attitude but what what about others. What about those that have been delayed in the dining room through no fault of their own but down to slow service between courses. What about those who are 'Freedom Dining' and were not able to get a table at the time they wanted to fit in with the show, people whose tours have returned late necessitating them to dine in the buffet because they have missed their sitting. Should these people be made to miss the show by closing the doors?  I spend a lot of time on cruise ships and have personally experienced these situations. Perhaps the answer is to have only one entrance door available after the start of the performance, manned by a member of the crew who ushers the late comers quietly to a seat at the rear of the theatre. As always, just my opinion.

• 1 year later...

I totally agree with WMPepper 

Those people who leave the theatre when the Entertainment Manager is still speaking or the artiste is taking applause annoy us greatly It is the height of rudeness. Where are they going in such a hurry - to get a front seat at another show I suspect.

It annoyed one EM so much that she stopped what she was saying and said " Will you please sit-down and listen to what I have to say and not distract your fellow passengers" Afterwards she said to us that she couldn't believe that she had done that but it had just got too much for her.

It needed to be said! However the next evening it was no better. Some people will never learn.