Cost Cutting

Despite paying fuel supplements on our last cruise P&O travelled at only 14-16 knots from Southampton to the Mediterranean thus saving fuel.  In the past the speed has been around 20 knots and therefore the first port was reached a day earlier.  Additionally, the time in some ports has been reduced, presumably another cost cutting measure. 

We have noticed small changes, every time we cruise, for example, the menus used to have more choices of plain fare, ladies used to be given a flower in the dining room on formal nights, on the grand formal night a choc truffle would be left on the bed instead of the normal chocolate, each year the steward seems to have more cabins to care for... Just little things really, but they start to add up

Yes Cruisediva, we have have noticed a number of changes over the years too. However, when you look at the overall cost of a P&O Cruise and compare this with a decent hotel holiday, then I think the P&O cruise offers exceptional value for money and is very affordable. Also, we have to remember that cruising is now so very popular and sits in a very competitive holiday market. It is possible to still get all of the bells and whistles with someone like "Silver Sea", but look at the cost and then compare with P&O.

I think that if you look at the cost of cruises they are now much cheaper than they used to be yet some people seem to expect the same level of service, same extras etc etc that they have always got when they paid a lot more in the past.  These people should move up a notch, pay a bit more to the Regents, Seabourns etc and stop moaning about P&O (in my opinion)

The other side of cost cutting I find very difficult is that taken by the actual passengers. You here horrific stories of people taking alcohol on board in water bottles to save money and others who refuse to pay any tips.  If the predominant attitude of the customer is to focus all the time on the cost. then the cruise lines will equally focus on it. We all want a fair priced holiday but equally the cruise lines have to make a fair level of profit .....its called business. So a bit of slack on all sides is perhaps needed.

Cruises have come down in price and with the amount of getaway fares now being given something has to give. We can't all expect the same standards as a few years ago while paying less for it.

P&O need to figure out what sort of cruise line they want to be, the larger the ships the more urgency there is to fill them at any cost and if they lose money on the fare they are going to (and have) cut out all the things that at one time made them special.

P&O are still trying to project the image of a quality cruise line, which once upon a time it genuinely was.  But that was before Carnival (and its cost-paring accountants) got their sticky little fingers on it!

It probably offers reasonable enough value for money - provided you don't book early, and wait for a Getaway Fare - but you have to accept that it isn't on a par with companies such as Celebrity.  The food's not as good, and the evidence of cost-cutting hits you all too obviously.  Even the speakers have been cut back now.

If you pay full whack with a Vantage Fare, you'll probably be very disappointed.  Particularly when you find that there are people at your table who paid as little as a third of the price you paid!

Guest shilly3191

End of the day too many people are waiting for Getaway fares so P&O have problems because those that have paid full Vantage fare are not getting good value but those that pay Getaway fares cannot complain about the value for what they are paying. P&O at the end of the day are a business and because of increases in fuel and food over the years and the price of cruises dropping something has to be cut.

Leaving on Ventura tomorrow and although the price has dropped from when we booked we are still paying only £84 each more than on my first P&O Cruise back in 1977.

The cabin will be better (no horsehair stuffed mattresses for a start) there will be fresh veg- it used to be only fresh for first few days then was frozen. The service will not be as good -the main cutbacks as in most industries these days appears to have been staff. The remaining staff have to work harder and don't have time for the fantastic service they used to be able to give. The variety of meats and fish on the menu will not be as good and there will be less shows in the evenings. Yes costs have been cut but with the prices most people are paying they have to be. It is still very good value for money.

There are so many comments listed on this topic, all so varied. These days you have to choose your shipping line to suit both your wallet and your expectations.

P&O are still excellent value for money, the main subject we all should be talking about is SAFETY. If you prefer to sail on an old vessel, that leaks, is rusty below the obvious area of the ship, is not upgraded regularly @ £4m [ or even $4m] then you can expect to pay low fares.

I personally ensure that I have a competent and ENGLISH speaking Captain ensuring my safety. The ship is in tip top condition, the crewe are polite and friendly, and the cabins are clean and well presented.

Yes, there areas where money has been saved - shows for instance. I can remember when the Stadium Co. played every night for an hour, 2ce nightly, and there were always celebrities appearing on every cruise. The shows are now adequate, but nothing to the standard they used to be. However, we do still have entertainment.

The quality of the build of the ships are second to none, not necessary 'glitsy' but solid and safe, most of the money being spent in the engine room, and the bridge [ as it should be]. The cabins are quiet,[ unlike Carnival ],  comfy and haven't changed a great deal over the years

I have sailed on many shipping lines, over many years, both glitsy and stately, and have to say that I have always found P&O to be the most friendliest, efficient, and good value for money [ and never have tooooooo many children on board]

Re: extra days at sea, that can only be good, afterall isn't that why we all choose a cruise to sail on THE SEA. These are the days you can really enjoy the ship and all it has to offer, as advertised in the brochure, the ports are just a bonus ! 

We have just recently returned from a cruise on Azura. We were in a Superior Deluxe Cabin, which we booked at full price. This was our sixth cruise on Azura, each time in the same cabin grade. This time however the bottle of Champagne that we received was an unknown brand, unlike our previous cruises. Neither did we receive the flowers that are usually in the cabin. As an aside, on one of our previous Azura cruise, the flowers were plastic! We did however still receive the chocolates.

Jacka

Having enjoyed 23 cruises with P&O so far, some BC (before Carnival) and some after, it is true that some areas of 'cost cutting' are evident, but as articulated earlier, the relative cost today compared to 20 years ago is better value for money.

In addition, the service by the cabin attendants remains second-to-none.

As with many things in life, there are now more choices than ever before, so vote with your feet & wallet, but please do not moan and try to spoil it for those of us who still enjoy the P&O brand and all it brings.

Having enjoyed 23 cruises with P&O so far, some BC (before Carnival) and some after, it is true that some areas of 'cost cutting' are evident, but as articulated earlier, the relative cost today compared to 20 years ago is better value for money.

In addition, the service by the cabin attendants remains second-to-none.

As with many things in life, there are now more choices than ever before, so vote with your feet & wallet, but please do not moan and try to spoil it for those of us who still enjoy the P&O brand and all it brings.

Quite agree.

Semper

It would appear that this thread should be renamed "P&O Cost Cutting" as nearly every post refers to P&O. If people are that unhappy then move to another cruise line. There are many to choose from who in my humble opinion offer a better deal than P&O and are cheaper. Their drinks and gratuities may cost more but in many cases the base cost is less. Have a look at the 'Bottom Line', you may be surprised at how little extra, if at all, a better cruise line costs.