Standards On Azura

We have just returned from the Caribbean sailing out of Southampton on Azura and flying back from Barbados. We have had a lovely time but it is now so noticeable that P and O have started to let their standards drop. Firstly the restaurant evening meals don't seem to be that inspiring like they used to be ( there is always chicken or steak I know )

Secondly the fill the ship cheap attitude seems to be inviting a whole new breed of passenger that would not normally be tolerated.there were people smoking both normal and e cigarettes on sun loungers next to the pool which was not acted upon

Loud groups in the bars at times

Conflicts over sun lounger reserving

And finally I have never seen so many people in jeans or shorts on a formal nighter alone the rest of the evenings.

Come on P and O get a grip lets not become Butlins at Sea,

Hi Makri6.

We were on the Azura the week before you and must agree about the food in the restaurant. But I am finding this on all the ships we have been on lately (P&O and Celebrity). I'm not sure if it is just the fact that we have got used to the food on cruises now and they don't feel special any more, or whether standards have simply dropped. I do miss the extra veg they used to bring after our meal was served. The waiters appear nowadays to have the attitude of getting you fed and out as quick as possible, taking peoples plates away while others are still eating etc. I think auto gratuities have a lot to do with it, they have their tips and don't feel the need to try any more. Most people made an effort on formal nights, but not on our last cruise (British Isles on Celebrity), but the passengers were mostly American who don't bother so much.

HI  I can't understand why people complain about the standards on P&O,  they have lowered their boarding fares greatly and it's true that you only get what you pay for it's common sense that the quality of the product will have declined. markedly over the last few years.   If you don't like the way the company is heading do as I have done book with other cruise lines whose standards are more in keeping with those you desire, on the downside you will have to expect to pay more.

Would you sooner P&O sailed with half empty ships? What is wrong with people having fun while having a drink are we all supposed to sit quietly while drinking? the sun lounger has always been a problem it has not just started because the fares have reduced, letting a new breed of passenger what does this imply hmm I wonderwink.png

Morning Terminator,riff-raff calling.

We have done 4 Cunard in steerage and will continue so to do.

The nearest I have ever been to a " grill ",was once we had our safety drill in one.

Even if we could afford it,which we can't we would not stay in the grills,we are very happy with our lot.

Oh by the way we are looking at possibly three Cunard in 2015.Will we see you descend the stairs ?.

You are a naughty boy Terminator.

Rodger

We have been on the azura in october,it was the first time on this ship but we have been on aurora,oriana and oceana.Also sailed on 2 princess ships.This was the 1st time we have had plated meals,my husband and my male

cousin have very big appetites and found the food was very good,the waiters asked them all the time if they

required extra portions and obliged by doing this.The meals were always hot and very well presented.We had 2

very good waiters and did not feel rushed at all.There were 3 formal nights and nearly everybody adhered to

this.We had a really enjoyable cruise and i would recommend the azura to anybody and hope to sail on her aga

in

The nearest I have ever been to a " grill ",was once we had our safety drill in one.

Even if we could afford it,which we can't we would not stay in the grills,we are very happy with our lot.

Oh by the way we are looking at possibly three Cunard in 2015.Will we see you descended the stairs ?.

Rodger

Only if you're paying Rodger..my holidays for next year are already booked.

I'm taking a disabled friend on a narrow boat for a few days..

The trouble is that with P & O's current price structure cruising is available to the masses which means that you will get all types of people on cruises. I don't have a problem with that providing the dress codes and rules are adhered to, however, I don't think that the prices should go rock bottom like they seem to be. I don't particularly want to go on a cruise whereby the clientele are the types of people you would avoid on a friday night when the pubs are turning out. 

Probably not the best description but I am sure you will have an idea of what I mean.

Ron. Perhaps if you had been on the ship and heard the language etc you would have not written your comment as I could not agree more nothing wrong with having a laugh whilst partaking in a beverage.......booked on Cunard for New Year looking forward to seeing how the other half live!

Marki6 Quite agree with you concerning foul language totally unacceptable anywhere anytime, but in fairness your original post did not mention foul language wink.png

We have just returned from a 12 night cruise to the Med on Aurora. I cannot agree more with the drop in standards. Firstly on a Jacket night 5 men were in Andersons bar three were asked to go and put on a jacket and two were allowed  to go without. Also at least 4 passengers wore the same clothes for the entire cruise, either that or they had 12 outfits the same. In June on the same ship at least two men were in the theatre wearing jeans and a T shirt during a show.

Guest Solent Richard

We have just returned from the Caribbean sailing out of Southampton on Azura and flying back from Barbados. We have had a lovely time but it is now so noticeable that P and O have started to let their standards drop. Firstly the restaurant evening meals don't seem to be that inspiring like they used to be ( there is always chicken or steak I know )

Secondly the fill the ship cheap attitude seems to be inviting a whole new breed of passenger that would not normally be tolerated.there were people smoking both normal and e cigarettes on sun loungers next to the pool which was not acted upon

Loud groups in the bars at times

Conflicts over sun lounger reserving

And finally I have never seen so many people in jeans or shorts on a formal nighter alone the rest of the evenings.

Come on P and O get a grip lets not become Butlins at Sea,

HI  I can't understand why people complain about the standards on P&O,  they have lowered their boarding fares greatly and it's true that you only get what you pay for it's common sense that the quality of the product will have declined. markedly over the last few years.   If you don't like the way the company is heading do as I have done book with other cruise lines whose standards are more in keeping with those you desire, on the downside you will have to expect to pay more.

An interesting set of views which I can sympathise with.

I probably think though that the main issue on dress is due to the fact that this is a 'fly-cruise' where weight limitations have played a big part.

Having said that I did not notice the issue being reflected on my Ventura fly cruise last May.

Guest Solent Richard

We have just returned from a 12 night cruise to the Med on Aurora. I cannot agree more with the drop in standards. Firstly on a Jacket night 5 men were in Andersons bar three were asked to go and put on a jacket and two were allowed  to go without. Also at least 4 passengers wore the same clothes for the entire cruise, either that or they had 12 outfits the same. In June on the same ship at least two men were in the theatre wearing jeans and a T shirt during a show.

Good morning Ron.

I liked that - your observations I mean.

Not sure I can comment on the Andersson's incident: it does sound a little strange.

Guest Solent Richard

Maybe you should try Cunard...their standards are so much higher that P and O..

You don't get the steerage riff-raff if you go Grills..wink.png

And noise in the bars? No problem..they're all in bed by 10 o' clock..biggrin.png

Oh by the way we are looking at possibly three Cunard in 2015.Will we see you descend the stairs ?.

Rodger

Good morning Rodger.

As a fully paid up member of both the riffraff and 'Grills Set' I can easily follow your line.

Perhaps the 'Naughty Boy' is unaware of the Dress Police that lurk on a Fanzine near you.

Come to think of it it must have been a considerable time ago that our friend voyaged with Cunard. I seem to recall spending time well into the witching hour in the G32 and Yacht Club bars/discos.

Hello Terminator,another narrow boat trip is it.If your canal comes anywhere near Lincoln I might come and say hello.I appologise for my bad grammar,I meant to say descend,ie.down to my level.

Rodger.

Morning Rodger

Unfortunately it's not in your area..it's the Kennet and Avon.

I've found an excellent charity that can accommodate my friend as he's not as mobile as he once was..http://www.brucetrust.org.uk/

But we do have a couple of berths free if you feel like it?

An interesting set of views which I can sympathise with.

I probably think though that the main issue on dress is due to the fact that this is a 'fly-cruise' where weight limitations have played a big part.

Having said that I did not notice the issue being reflected on my Ventura fly cruise last May.

Hi  I agree that many cruisers do not like the fly cruise option (I don't understand it, unless it's for medical reasons, but I do accept that they don't).   The weight restriction concern is not a satisfactory reason.  I know you have sailed on  some of the most formal ships in the world (as have I) and all the passengers (Europeans at least|) adhere to the variable dress codes (formal, semi-formal and casual nights), it's a case of being organised (mix and match) and I have always kept within the airline limits.   However, I don't think that P&O will alter its marketing strategy (pile 'em high: sell it cheap), it's been very successful.  As I have said, if you don't like this concept you either have to accept it or look elsewhere for your cruise vacation.

I think we have to take on board, excuse the pun, the simple fact that the world is changing and along with it peoples attitudes to dress codes. 40 years ago when people went out for an evening meal at a good class restaurant they dressed for the occasion, men wore suits and ladies nice dresses. Times have changed. I was recently at a good class restaurant in London where well know people were dressed casually in open neck shirts and chinos. I have seen people wear jeans in these establishments but not ones that I could afford. Ships are no different. They cater for the masses and with the exception of certain ships the masses don't want to dress up to go to dinner. Ships now have to cater to the masses, the accountants and shareholders say so. As more and more ships have come on line so the popularity of cruising has increased. As ships become more akin to resorts so they will attract those that normally go to resorts. As I said some years ago, formal dressing for dinner is on its way out and in many cases this has come true. I appreciate people on cruise forums in the main like the fashion of dressing for dinner but fortunately or unfortunately they are a very small percentage of the millions that cruise every year. Just my opinion. 

Hi 

I think we have to take on board, excuse the pun, the simple fact that the world is changing and along with it peoples attitudes to dress codes. 40 years ago when people went out for an evening meal at a good class restaurant they dressed for the occasion, men wore suits and ladies nice dresses. Times have changed. I was recently at a good class restaurant in London where well know people were dressed casually in open neck shirts and chinos. I have seen people wear jeans in these establishments but not ones that I could afford. Ships are no different. They cater for the masses and with the exception of certain ships the masses don't want to dress up to go to dinner. Ships now have to cater to the masses, the accountants and shareholders say so. As more and more ships have come on line so the popularity of cruising has increased. As ships become more akin to resorts so they will attract those that normally go to resorts. As I said some years ago, formal dressing for dinner is on its way out and in many cases this has come true. I appreciate people on cruise forums in the main like the fashion of dressing for dinner but fortunately or unfortunately they are a very small percentage of the millions that cruise every year. Just my opinion. 

Hi Oldworldtravelller

A very reasoned post, the world is changing and in many ways for the better.   Many of the better cruise lines (this is very subjective and others may disagree with my choices) Seabourn, Regent, Azamara, and Oceania no longer have formal dress evenings but have introduced country house casual (USA term) and in truth it works well.   I have sailed on quite a few of these lines and everybody adheres to the dress code, you never see passengers wearing jeans, t-shirts in the evenings.

Oh dear, our first cruise is over a year away, P&O to the northern lights. We booked for the destination rather than cruise company but hoped it would be a civilised affair (we have booked a balcony midship so you can guess the cost) we shall be rather disappointed if the public areas are like football terraces!

GiGi

GiGi

I imagine that you are going on Oriana…. I doubt that you will have too much of a problem, although I am sure someone might enlighten you better than myself. In any case the public areas should not be demeaned to the 'football terrace' classification. I believe that if it is formal night then there are areas where that type of dress would not be allowed.