No More Premium Seats

We have booked a cruise to the Caribbean for next Christmas and booked premium seats. Yesterday I had a call from Bolsover to say that P & O are now changing their carriers from Gatwick and premium seats are no longer available. I was not very happy about this. There are premium seats available from Manchester and Birmingham but as we are only a hours drive from Gatwick we do not want to drive to either of these airports. This will be the last time we book a Caribbean cruise with P & O.

Irene

I dont think you can entirely blame P&O, if the flight operator can no longer offer them a service what should they do stamp their foot and shout really loud, they have taken steps to secure an alternate flight and make sure everyone can get to the ship, after all its only the flight to get you to your holiday.  Chill out and look forward to the Rum cocktails on a caribbean beach

We booked for Christmas 2015 whilst we were on board ship in May. P & O have advised us that they are changing the carrier and will not be using Thomson from Gatwick. We are booked on the Adonia for March 2015 and were told at the time of booking that there would be no premium seats. We accepted that but when we booked the cruise for next December we were told there were Premium seats available. And we booked them plus paying the additional deposit.

Enjoy your cruie in January.

Irene

That is interesting Irene.

We are booked on Azura from 9th January 2015 and I reserved two Premium Club seats online last week.

We didn't book through Bolsover this time so maybe that made a difference!

this sort of thing has nothing to do with the travel agent, its what the cruise line and then ultimatly the airline are providing

I can understand peoples frustration with this, I am currently battling with an operator regarding flights and ther service offered, it seemd that airlines are a law unto themselves, they make changes mislead passengers and then let either the cruise operator, travel agent or individual carry the can for there own inabilities, I sympathize with your plight cruise addict and I know froma friend that works in the flight industry that TUI have allegedly shed a large percentage of their long haul flights which other companies are trying hard to sallow up or make alternative arrangements. I think this could well be the answer as to why  p&O have had to make the change, and as to scribeswtr it wouldnt matter who you booked with with!!!

We are booked on Azura from 9th January 2015 and I reserved two Premium Club seats online last week.

How on earth do you get that its cos they booked through Bolsover, if that wasnt so funny id think you were deluded

then i see its your first post so you are obviously one of these go in and criticise users then never be seen again

On another forum it would appear that P & O have changed their carrier from Thomson to Thomas Cook. Could that be your answer - not up to date with their air planes!!!

P&O have used Thomas Cook flights for a number of years too & from the Caribbean we have flown twice from the Caribbean with them via P&O maybe they do not use them from Gatwick,we always flew into Manchester.wink.png

Whilst to many this may seem petty but to myself it would be a problem and therefore can totally empathise with you.

We flew back from Azura and Barbados only last night on the Dreamliner to Birmingham in Premiun class. Two flights left before us to Gatwick one Thomson and one Thomas Cook.. Thomas Cook seem to have the most smallest and cramped planes in the air and being over 6 feet tall I find their flights are very very uncomfortable and it has been known that I have exited the plane with indents in the front of my legs where I had been cramped up with the seat inform compressing my legs. premium seating every time for us :)

Personally I can understand the stance taken by the OP. If you have leg problems as my wife does an 8+ hour flight cramped in economy would ruin the holiday so we also would not use a cruise line that did not give us the option of premium style seating. We find that Economy Plus with British Airways and Premium Economy with Virgin Atlantic are a good compromise. Certainly British Airways or one of their Star Alliance partners are used by many of the popular cruise lines.

At 6'3" and with two replacement knees I think I am well qualified to comment on travelling in economy. Yes, it is cramped and can be uncomfortable, however it's only for a few hours and getting up and stretching is possible. I certainly would not let it ruin my holiday or never travel if economy was the only option.

Like I stated, it is as it is for whatever reason. So no point in chucking toys out of the pram.

We all have our own views and that's just mine.

RayO

Nothing to do with the travel agent - its entirely down to the Airline and what aircraft they provide the cruise line with.

Reading these comments I can see how frustrating it is. On a long haul flight many people book early to get premium seats for the extra legroom and there is nothing worse than when the airline pulls the plug, changes the aircraft or the operator changes contracts with airlines etc.. so the original seats cannot be honoured. There isn't anything you can do unless you can change to another airport where they are offering a flight with premium class available or you are flying from a london airport and then  try and upgrade to a scheduled service but this can add a few hundreds pounds onto the holiday.

Anyone booked on these flights will have been contacted by their travel agents as its nothing to do with clients booking through a particular agent.

Overall I understand the dissapointment felt

• 2 months later...

Our flight from Manchester next year to meet Adonia was due to be Thomson and we hoped for the Dreamliner. P&O then notified us that we would now be on Thomas Cook. TC have or are in the process of updating their long haul planes so that luggage allowances, meals and Premium seats all match or almost match Thomsons. Only time will tell but they have time to get it right before 2016 we hope.

• 5 weeks later...

Interesting comments as yesterday I asked Bolsover why no flight details were showing up on my Cruise Personalizer for our Britannia cruise on November 6th from Barbados, they checked and said they didn't know why nothing was showing but would check with P & O. Bolsover got back to me to say that we would be flying with Thomas Cook, when I asked about upgrading or being changed to the Thomson flight they said that nothing was available. When questioned further about how P & O allocate people to flights she said that as Gatwick is one of the main hubs the first batch of people were allocated to Thomson and the rest to Thomas Cook but she would put us on a waiting list if anything else came up. On the basis that both carriers take approximately 320 passengers per plane it may be that there could be some additional flights available. Hopefully we will experience a Dreamliner when we fly to New York with Virgin Atlantic next month, however it's apparently a Jumbo on the way back but at least I have an extra legroom seat each way LOL

Interesting comments as yesterday I asked Bolsover why no flight details were showing up on my Cruise Personalizer for our Britannia cruise on November 6th from Barbados, they checked and said they didn't know why nothing was showing but would check with P & O. Bolsover got back to me to say that we would be flying with Thomas Cook, when I asked about upgrading or being changed to the Thomson flight they said that nothing was available. When questioned further about how P & O allocate people to flights she said that as Gatwick is one of the main hubs the first batch of people were allocated to Thomson and the rest to Thomas Cook but she would put us on a waiting list if anything else came up. On the basis that both carriers take approximately 320 passengers per plane it may be that there could be some additional flights available. Hopefully we will experience a Dreamliner when we fly to New York with Virgin Atlantic next month, however it's apparently a Jumbo on the way back but at least I have an extra legroom seat each way LOL

Have you considered asking how much the cruise would be for 'cruise only' and then booking with a scheduled airline?

• 4 weeks later...

I would not fly to/from anyway over 6hrs if I couldn't have premium seats!!!  Call me a snob or whatever, but my hubby is over 6 feet tall and 

I am not short - anyway we're prepared to pay for better classed seats.  I don't blame P & O or Bolsover but it must be very annoying.  Again I wouldn't be prepared to go to an airport miles away either.