Northern Lights Cruise

We have cruised many times before and realise you can tour independently in many destinations but this is our first time in search of the northermn lights and wonder if it is sensible on this occasion to book organised tours or are tour particularly in Alto and Tromso viable on your own and are they much less expensive.

Which tours are must do and which can be passed over

Tromso is definitely easy to do on your own, with sights like Mack brewery reputed to be the most northerly brewery in the world, Polaria the aquatic museum, the arctic cathedral & also the cable car ride which gives you a fantastic panorama of the whole town. If your staying in Tromso try the Radisson Hotel near the quayside that has a sauna with a view!!

We did the Northern Lights cruise with P & O this year and had a fantastic time

I would recommend that you do at least one excursion in Alta in search of the Northern Lights - it was very cold at minus 26 degrees.

A web site worth keeping an eye on nearer the time is www.portalta.borealiswebcam360.com

David

Yes but not as clearly as some on board. please note a video camera is NO USE in fact it was so cold that I didn't get the camera out my rucksack and the ships photographer cracked a £600 lens. It is a fantastic cruise and I would highly recommend it anyone.

Any questions feel free to ask

David

Guest shilly3191

For the experiences like dog sledding, ice hotel visits and unusual winter excursions with reference to Northern Lights we found out on our visit in March on Oriana that they were all pre booked by P&O so unable to book independentlyof course in Tromso itself you could visit places in the town on your own.

Thanks for that. What type of clothing did you wear to deal with those temperatures ?

Thanks

GiGi

Lots of Layers but nothing exceptional. On the coach going to see the lights the words 'Rolly Pollies or Tele Tubbies' came to mind.  The main things in my mind were a good pair of gloves with the silk liners if possible, a good hat (beenie) and sturdy boots. We found the snow was not slippy and therefore the additional ice grips that we had taken were not used and those that did, found them very difficult on the ships gangway. I would also recommend an adjustable walking stick. (got ours in 'Trespass' for about £5 each).

Sharon Poole has put a 'sticky' on the 'crowsnestonline' site at the top of the 'General Cruise Chat' topic. - Worth a look. Lots of photos on this site too.under 'X406'

David

In the last couple of days have seen advertised some independent excursion organisers that you can book in advance but can't remember where? One appeared to be recommended by trip advisor, and another had a stand at a cruis eexhibition any help any one I am looking to book for my northern light s cruise but would like to get best value for money but maximise my options

Guest shilly3191

In the last couple of days have seen advertised some independent excursion organisers that you can book in advance but can't remember where? One appeared to be recommended by trip advisor, and another had a stand at a cruis eexhibition any help any one I am looking to book for my northern light s cruise but would like to get best value for money but maximise my options

You might be thinking of www.cruisingexcursions.com but looking at their website for Oriana in March 2015  there are only excursions available in Tromso and they are very expensive, Alta might be fully booked up by P&O because of the limited availability. 

When we were out in search of the Lights at 2-30 am we thought the cabin was on fire when someone opened the door but it was just their hot air meeting the outside cold air. - very crisp.

Yes you need something to cover the ears, long johns were very useful too (Not for the ears I hasten to add). The main problem with the layers was if you needed the loo. Esther found the glove warmer very useful too, again you can buy in Trespass for about £5. You don't need to go over the score with you purchases.

David