Do You Put Weight On While Cruising?

Hi Most professional criuse writers suggest that most passengers gain weight during a cruise vacation.  I do not put any weight on, I just eat the same amount as I do at home  (lthough I do eat different dishes) but just because a large amount of food is avaialable doesn't mean it has to be consummed.  Do you tend to put on weight while cruising?

I wish I could be as strong willed as you lot. I start out refusing the bread but am always tempted by the end of the cruise. I am desperately trying to lose a stone before our next trip in November. Three and a half weeks and I'm sure to put that stone back on again in spite of using the stairs and walking the mile whenever possible.

I put on weight very easy. These days i can usually keep the gain down to a pound or two. I always remember a lovely lady who shared our table on a cruise to the Caribbean. She had been cruising for many years about 6 cruises a year. She whispered to me ' The secret of enjoying cruising dear is size 16 for the first week and size 18 for the second week, after that have a sewing kit for alterations. Book into a health farm for a couple of weeks when you get home before the next cruise.'  I wish.

We ban ourselves from the lifts in an attempt to keep weight gain down to a minimum, glad we only have about 6 decks this time instead of the 11-12 from the last two cruises. The problem is the food is so good and the choice is so extensive.going to have to convince myself to get on the treadmill for at least an hour each day

I go with all good intentions and to eat heathly as it can be done on a cruise, then on day three it normally goes out the window as wonderful food although i do go to the gym every day but still manange to put on wieght. i went away with my friend who was a wieght watchers teacher oh no!! not the best  idea however didnt put weight on that time lol!  

We both gain a little weight on our cruises. We try to be as active as possible by doing a lot of walking during the day and dancing in the evening and taking the stairs as much as we are able to. On our last cruise Rita gained about 2 lbs and me about 5 lbs. We had that off about 1 week after the cruise was over. We do like those desserts!

I probably do but not much. The reason I think I must put weight on, is that I never eat 3 courses at home for dinner. I only ever have a dessert either on the ship or if we have meals out. On the ship I almost always use the stairs, I rarely use the lift. Even on the World cruise my clothes fitted me at the beginning and still fitted me at the end in spite of almost 4 months of desserts.

Guest Solent Richard

Hi Most professional criuse writers suggest that most passengers gain weight during a cruise vacation.  I do not put any weight on, I just eat the same amount as I do at home  (lthough I do eat different dishes) but just because a large amount of food is avaialable doesn't mean it has to be consummed.  Do you tend to put on weight while cruising?

On balance no I don't. That often surprises me because I generally tend to eat more, particularly enjoying local dishes when ashore.

There are probably two reasons why I maintain a level weight with so much good food around me. The first is that I treat most meals as a social occasion, particularly dinner. Good conversation, well balanced wines and not rushing one's food lead to improved digestion.

Secondly my metabolism helps. Constant exercise either visiting places and searching out advantageous spots for photographs (Yes, try it some time) and of course pre and post dinner ballroom dancing.

Remember Live to Eat, not Eat to Live

Guest Solent Richard

I used to!

Joined slimming world and now eat differently.

I find it easy to maintain my weight these days on cruises.

Now the booze --- well that's a bigger temptation than food!!

Solent Barbara is a member of Slimming World and swears by it.

She maintains herself within her target range except on the odd occasion but always returns there the next week - and shed drinks the same amount of wine as I do. 

I remember the first cruise myself and my hubby went on, we both put on a stone each in two weeks, we couldn't believe it. needless to say now days we tend to be a little more careful but will generally put on about 4-6lbs on a cruise depending on the length of the cruise of course. I have found now quite alot of it seems to be water retention and is gone within the first two weeks back home.