Sign in to follow this  
KeithnRita

Hello From The Usa!

RayO says we represent the whole US of A. That's very intimidating so here goes:

We are Keith and Rita from Hoosierland, Southern IN USA. We are in our mid 60s, well at least Rita is and me a couple years beyond, and we've been on 27 cruises spread between Carnival, Holland America, Celebrity, RCI, NCL and Princess. We currently have 3 cruises booked all out of New Orleans. Lately NOLA has been our port of choice since we can drive to there in about 10 hours. It's beats the heck out of flying to Florida, etc. We have a small airport near us, however it generally takes us all day and 2 or 3 stops to get where we would like to go.

Our next one is a new ship for us, the Carnival Dream for 7 days beginning Sept 7. After that we have a B2B for a total of 14 days beginning Dec 27 on the RCI Serenade of the Seas. We cruised on the Serenade in Feb and loved it!

Rita is retired from our local county Sheriff's Dept and I still work in our family manufacturing company. That's is holding us back from cruising more. If I could retire we would love to take one  of the Queen ships to pay a visit to England and spend a week or so sight seeing and maybe even visit Normandy across the channel. We would then take another Queen ship back to the states. 

Thanks to those who welcomed us aboard this site! :)  :) 

Guest Solent Richard

And a big welcome from me too KeithnRita.

Indeed, we may in due course be able to exchange a few tips because I'm a great fan of Cunard and the Queens while my wife is nagging me to take her to New Orleans to take one of those river cruise and stay packages. I'd also jump at the opportunity to take a Carnival cruise out of New Orleans - kinda add another line to my growing list.

Welcome on board.

Welcome to the forum, it's great to see new members join but especially from the US.  Sounds like you have a lot of experience cruising so I'm sure you'll have a lot of advice to pass on to newcomers on the forum.  Always nice to see people on here that have cruised with so many different cruise lines.  

Welcome.

Our last visit over the pond was last year with a stay in Ft Lauderdale and a Celebrity repositioning back to Southampton.

We had to fly one way, but cruising from a local port is the best. We live about an hour from Southampton.

We're off to the fjords tomorrow with P&O, looking forward to that.

Cheers!

RayO

Welcome.

Our last visit over the pond was last year with a stay in Ft Lauderdale and a Celebrity repositioning back to Southampton.

We had to fly one way, but cruising from a local port is the best. We live about an hour from Southampton.

We're off to the fjords tomorrow with P&O, looking forward to that.

Cheers!

RayO

Bon Voyage!

Welcome along. Come to the UK while you still can, Scotland may well be off in a while! :D

On a more serious note, Normandy is well worth a visit especially if you have an interest in D-Day, still lots to see.

Thanks, we would love to visit--some day!

I visited the National WWII Museum in NOLA and if you are ever in the city it is not to be missed! My interest in Normandy goes back to my late father who was an original member of the Screaming Eagles of the 101 Airborne who parachuted in the night before the invasion. 

My Grandfather (who is still alive) fought in the battle of Arnhem bridge, he was part of the Polish 1st Independent Parachute Brigade!

I would love to go there one day and visit and pay my respects. I will be visiting the French War memorials in September, although it won't be on a cruise, just a road trip from my hometown to Spain!

Welcome to the forum KeithnRita.

In June I was on a cruise that visited Normandy in commemoration of the D-Day landings. We had on board a veteran from the 101st Airborne who parachuted in on the 6th June 1944. I believe there are only 92 still alive in the USA. He was a great guy and gave a fantastic talk on the ship. Although in his 90's he still played the guitar and sang.

Hi KiethnRita

Welcome aboard  we are from Cornwall  the first and last port  at the tip of England, America the next stop, we  visited NO many years ago now taking the jazz boat on a river cruise at night, visiting the French Quarter   a boat ride in the Bayou the and  enjoyed the Gumbo, we spent three days in New Orleans [we were on a coach trip from New York right down through the Smoky Mountains, Philadelphia ,Yorktown  just a many  of the towns and cities  until we ended up in Miami a wonderful trip.

We too are avid cruisers  fetching up many times in New York  do take the Queen over to the UK  [a round trip  sounds perfect]  it's a wonderful way to relax and do it while you are able. CG 

cornish girl - Thank you for the welcome aboard. We love New Orleans and will be there again in early Sept.

This site is really nice and loaded with really nice folks!

Welcome aboard KeithnRita.

We will be visiting NOLA next April on the P & O  Orinana - a lovely ship. It will be part of a 32 day cruise from Southampton returning to Southampton having visited the Eastern Seaboard and Caribbean.

Done it once before and thoroughly enjoyed it, 

David