Good morning Mepo from a baking hot Black Sea,

I am of course fully aware of what the various cruise lines say about dress codes on their ships and personally always abide by it. I do however believe that people should be able to wear what they want but perhaps should have added that it would be nice if the dress code of the day was enforced in the MDR which would then possibly suit everyone's wishes. On most of the ships I travel on people do not appear to wear football shirts etc. in the MDR but often also do not abide with the recommended dress code. Dress codes on ships are varied and changing. The beginning of June I was on Azamara where it is always smart casual although many took no notice of it. The end of June I was on MSC where virtually no one took any notice of the dress code. July I was on Fred Olsen and virtually everyone complied with the dress code. Complying with the dress code and dressing for dinner I think is a British trait that is gradually dying out as ships become bigger and attract a new section of people to cruising. Anthem of the Seas which I am on next April does not have a dress code at all so that will be interesting as they say you dress for the particular restaurant you dine in. We all have our own opinions which I respect.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are formal nights on all P and O cruises not just Adonia. Dressing up is part of the attraction of cruising. If you want to be completely informal you need to use a different cruise line.

How rude?   And people wonder why it had to change...

Although it is generally accepted that P&O are more formal than some cruiselines it is also the case that if you do not wish to dress up there will be somewhere on the ship where you can go either

Guest Solent Richard

Good morning Mepo from a baking hot Black Sea,

I am of course fully aware of what the various cruise lines say about dress codes on their ships and personally always abide by it. I do however believe that people should be able to wear what they want but perhaps should have added that it would be nice if the dress code of the day was enforced in the MDR which would then possibly suit everyone's wishes. On most of the ships I travel on people do not appear to wear football shirts etc. in the MDR but often also do not abide with the recommended dress code. Dress codes on ships are varied and changing. The beginning of June I was on Azamara where it is always smart casual although many took no notice of it. The end of June I was on MSC where virtually no one took any notice of the dress code. July I was on Fred Olsen and virtually everyone complied with the dress code. Complying with the dress code and dressing for dinner I think is a British trait that is gradually dying out as ships become bigger and attract a new section of people to cruising. Anthem of the Seas which I am on next April does not have a dress code at all so that will be interesting as they say you dress for the particular restaurant you dine in. We all have our own opinions which I respect.

Complying with the dress code and dressing for dinner I think is a British trait that is gradually dying out....

Really OWT.

Certainly not the case on Cunard and on P&O. (and as you say, on Fred Olsen)

But perhaps that's why those lines get a little more stick from those who don't like dressing up.

Funny old world.  ;)  ;) 

Hi Richard,

I agree with you on Cunard but will reserve judgment with P&O until Britannia comes on line next year and we see who it attracts. In fairness I did say 'as ships become bigger and attract a new section of people to cruising'.

I think you are right the Britannia will certainly will certainly attract a new section of people cruising. That's why I will never be booking a cruise on that ship.

Careful june and jaguar or you will be put in the "ganging up" mob or at least accused of rudeness!

As I said in an earlier post (seems like a long time ago)

The facts:

P&O have a dress code.

The OP was aware of that when they booked with P&O.

The dress code was enforced on this cruise on Adonia.

If anyone still has any doubt, then look again at the OP.

"Also nowhere to sit and have a drink in the evening on formal and smart nights if you were not dressed correctly"

So, if there was no intention to follow the dress code why come on here and complain?

M

We love P&O and have thoroughly enjoyed our cruises on Ventura, Azura, Oceana & Oriana.  Next year, we are trying Adonia for the first time and are looking forward to seeing her too. :D  We already know that Adonia's buffet isn't open every night, although I'd be hard pressed to remember where I gained the information... ( possibly from reading cruise internet fora.   ;)  )

Hubby & I we enjoy conforming to the set dress codes. We feel that we can 'relax', be happy, have a great time etc, in our glad rags just as much as our more casual gear.  Whats more, if we dress in formal clothes on such nights, then the whole of the ship is ours to enjoy.  we don't have to think "Oh!  We can't go in that bar or this venue because they won't allow us".  We simply wander absolutely everywhere and sample the whole ship at will... :)

However, I do accept & understand that not everyone feels the same way as we do, and there are folk who wish to dress casually throughout their entire cruise. 

With the exception of Adonia, all the other ships in the P&O fleet provide alternative dining choices on Formal nights.  Adonia is the smallest of the fleet, perhaps logistically it's far more tricky for her to do so. Should she keep her buffet open on Formal nights to cater for casually dressed cruisers?  I would say yes, perhaps she should and if P&O need to close the buffet, then they should do so on other (i.e. casual) nights.   :)

As explained previously they need the buffet space for other activities, it is such a small ship, you even have to queue to get into some of the entertainment venues - waiting for the one before to finish.

Don't get me wrong it is a lovely ship but having done a 32 nighter on her we have decided that we won't be going back unless the itinerary is something special.

The only ship I know where you can get amorous with the shower curtain or you can sit on the loo, wash your feet in the shower and clean your teeth in the wash hand basin all at once.

Even all the staff comply with the dress code throughout the ship which is very nice to see.

The law is the law as governed by parliament…. Cruise ships provide rules. I was stating that it would be harsh to say that people who do not wish to dress up should not cruise. East on Arcadia is evening casual every night even when it is a formal night, so providing a person was to adhere to the dress code if they wish to go in all areas then what is the problem. 

Is this 'have a go at Pesky Pirate' time again if so.. I'm off!

Please TPP don't go. The problem is that quite often people do not read the OP properly and then put their own interpretation on it followed by an opinion based on that interpretation. Let's all remember that the dress code is a 'recommended' code, not law, not ships rules, not enforceable or anything else. Some cruise lines are doing away with the dress code or recommending 'smart country casual' which I believe will become the norm. Having travelled with over 15 different cruise lines in the last couple of years I have seen the changes which I believe will continue. Just my opinion of course.

Let's all remember that the dress code is a 'recommended' code, not law, not ships rules, not enforceable or anything else. 

OWT, you are quite correct that the dress code is not "law", in the sense that most people understand it.

Pesky Pirate you are correct that cruise ships provide "rules".

The dress code is enforced in certain restaurants and bars on P&O ships and as such it is a ships "rules".

Off course if you do not wish to abide by these rules (and you are correct that you do not have to) then no-one is going to do anything other than prevent you entering said bars and restaurants.

M

PS Pesky Pirate - where are you off to?

As far as I understand it as Adonia is such a small ship compared to the others in the fleet there are not enough staff to have them working in the main restaurant and in the buffet in the evenings - I was told this by someone at P&O. We are off soon on Adonia for the first time and I did know that the buffet is not open in the evenings - I think I got this from the P&O website - or from the brochure, can't remember which but I did know.

• 2 weeks later...

We were also surprised that the buffet was not open every night and the suggestion that, if it has to be closed for operational reasons, this should be done on casual nights makes a certain amount of sense Then those who do not wish to adhere to the well documented dress codes could still eat in the MDR. Also, although we only used it for the occasional breakfast, we did not consider the room service menu to be costly.

Personally we would be happy to have more Formal night but I know this will bring a tirade of  disagreements. There are lots of other cruise lines who cater for the more casual approach and booking with P&O presupposes that the guidelines have been understood.

On the point that people had to wait outside venues and queue to get a seat, this was certainly not our experience. On a 16 night cruise we NEVER had any difficulty getting a seat anywhere -either in the show lounge, the conservatory or by the pool. tTere was absolutely no pressure on any of the venues which made for an excellent cruise

Im still a newbie at this game and November will be our 4th cruise in the last 5 yrs since we first started to cruise, in order of cruises is been Aurora, Azura,Azura and this time the baby of the fleet Adonia, I love the formal nights and how the ambience of the ship changes, I have seen a man stopped from entering the MDR on Azura because he was wearing a tracksuit on formal night, and on Aurora one of the guys on our table told the tale that he was late for dinner as he had been in the crows nest on leaving port in his shorts and t shirt asked for another drink and was politely informed by the waiter  that it had just passed 6 pm he made a dash to his cabin showered shaved etc dressed made his way back and on sitting down at the same table was met with the drink he had ordered with a big grin on the waiters face. im not pompous or from a well to do family my old man was a van driver but i love the dress code and long may it stay

• 1 month later...

We always adhere to the advertised dress codes and are more than happy to do so. It's one of the things which we love about cruising as there are few opportunities to get the 'glad rags' on at home. However, one particularly hot evening in the Caribbean we were in the Crows Nest and, without thinking, my husband removed his jacket and placed it over his knee. When the waiter brought our drinks he very quietly and politely asked him to put his jacket on as it was a "smart jacket" evening. This he did willingly - the lad was only doing his job but later told us that it was not unusual for him to received very abusive responses on such occasions. Why do people book cruises on a line which clearly states the dress codes if they don't wish to adhere to them?

Of course, some interpret the codes in their own way as one gentleman wearing a track suit top claimed, when approached by a Restaurant Manager that he was obeying the rules as it was a jacket!

Guest Solent Richard

We always adhere to the advertised dress codes and are more than happy to do so. It's one of the things which we love about cruising as there are few opportunities to get the 'glad rags' on at home. However, one particularly hot evening in the Caribbean we were in the Crows Nest and, without thinking, my husband removed his jacket and placed it over his knee. When the waiter brought our drinks he very quietly and politely asked him to put his jacket on as it was a "smart jacket" evening. This he did willingly - the lad was only doing his job but later told us that it was not unusual for him to received very abusive responses on such occasions. Why do people book cruises on a line which clearly states the dress codes if they don't wish to adhere to them?

Of course, some interpret the codes in their own way as one gentleman wearing a track suit top claimed, when approached by a Restaurant Manager that he was obeying the rules as it was a jacket!

Nice story Naanah.

We too had a similar experience in the Blue Bar on Azura though it wasnt me that the request was made to.

It was to a 'chap' who had joined our table and was inappropriately dressed.

I complimented the waiter for the manner in which he handled the situation.