speedbird216

Adonia Not Happy

Good morning ShipShape, long time no speak.

I don't understand why you have placed a question Mark (?) behind "How Rude".

Or, for that matter your...."And people wonder why it had to change..."

Hi Richard,

As this comment was in response to my post, I was tempted to reply "not very" in response to the question.

Makes much more sense with an exclamation mark rather than a question mark.

Like you I am still trying to work out the "And people wonder why it had to change"

What?

M

Good morning ShipShape, long time no speak.

I don't understand why you have placed a question Mark (?) behind "How Rude".

Or, for that matter your...."And people wonder why it had to change..."

Hi Richard

Long time no speak, indeed. Hope you're well.

I added a question mark because it was a question.

And the thing that had to change was, and is, the attitude that presumes to know more than the host.

I am going to add to my post above rather than edit it.

I should have added that I personally wouldn't wear shorts and T shirt for the evenings but have seen plenty on Royal Caribbean that do - whatever ticks your box I suppose.

Hi Richard

And the thing that had to change was, and is, the attitude that presumes to know more than the host.

Hi Shipshape,

So to summarise - your response to my post was the question "How rude?" plus "And people wonder why it (the attitude that presumes to know more than the host) had to change.."

Hmm

Still very puzzled

Do you do a lot of cryptic crosswords?

M

Guest Solent Richard

Hi Richard

Hi again Shipshape.

I'm very well thank you with lots to keep me busy though the rain over the Solent this morning has extended my forum time.

Okay, so I'll answer the question, 'Not Very'.  I've seen much worse and this is, after all, a forum where one is fortunately allowed to criticise.

Quite frankly, if I had my way all venues, with the exception of the buffet, would be out of bounds to those not prepared to adhere to the dress code in the evenings.

I just don't understand the 'rebel' mentality. There is a wide choice out there, if you don't want to dress accordingly cruise with someone who have different standards. 

Have to agree with you on this one Richard, if we choose to op out of formal evenings we wouldn't be out mixing in the venues where the formally dressed people were.

I would feel most uncomfortable

My interpretation of the OP is that they were not trying to crash any dress code only venues, just wanted somewhere they could go that was casual and there wasn't anywhere except their cabin.

So, why the posts about shorts and t-shirts or breaking dress code rules?

It seems there are some posters that don't read all of the OP and then criticise someone for something they haven't said in the first place.

I agree that P&O and other more formal cruise lines should not be their first choice, however, having been on Aurora they expected the same casual dining being available on Adonia.

RayO

My interpretation of the OP is that they were not trying to crash any dress code only venues, just wanted somewhere they could go that was casual and there wasn't anywhere except their cabin.

So, why the posts about shorts and t-shirts or breaking dress code rules?

It seems there are some posters that don't read all of the OP and then criticise someone for something they haven't said in the first place.

I agree that P&O and other more formal cruise lines should not be their first choice, however, having been on Aurora they expected the same casual dining being available on Adonia.

RayO

The facts:

P&O have a dress code.

The OP was aware of that when they booked with P&O.

The dress code was enforced on this cruise on Adonia.

A lot of people have complained previously when this has not been done on P&O ships and that the ambiance of the evenings has been spoilt as a result.

M

You seem to be forgetting that even the P&O website gives the impression that casual diners are accommodated. Having been on every P&O ship except Adonia, there is not one of these ships that has a dress code that is applied all over the ship - much as you may wish it to be the case.

You and a couple of others seem to be projecting what you would like to be a statement of fact when it is not.

We love dressing-up and follow the dress code. However, we do accept that others may not wish to be as formal.

When there is a dress code in specific venues then we wish this to be applied but, as I assume you know, there are areas of each ship not required to be dress code compliant - usually the cafeteria and the pub bar.

I am still finding it hard to believe that Adonia has a ship wide dress code and, if this is the case, then it is not made more obvious so that people who have been on other P&O ships know what to expect.

RayO

I am still finding it hard to believe that Adonia has a ship wide dress code and, if this is the case, then it is not made more obvious so that people who have been on other P&O ships know what to expect.

RayO

It's not that. The main problem is that the buffet is not open every night so the only dining venues are the main restaurant or pay restaurants which are subject to the dress code

Brian

You seem to be forgetting that even the P&O website gives the impression that casual diners are accommodated. Having been on every P&O ship except Adonia, there is not one of these ships that has a dress code that is applied all over the ship - much as you may wish it to be the case.

You and a couple of others seem to be projecting what you would like to be a statement of fact when it is not.

We love dressing-up and follow the dress code. However, we do accept that others may not wish to be as formal.

When there is a dress code in specific venues then we wish this to be applied but, as I assume you know, there are areas of each ship not required to be dress code compliant - usually the cafeteria and the pub bar.

RayO

I have not forgotten what it says in the brochure or on the website. Indeed if you look under Buffets in the 2015/16 brochure it states that "our buffets offer dining from early morning to late evening (with the exception of Adonia,where opening hours vary) Thank you Brian for pointing this out.

What have I said in my last post that is not a statement of fact ?

M

They hold the quizzes in the buffet area at night and it can be quite cold.

Always remember it's a small ship.

We enjoyed our cruise on her but out of choice would not go back because of the restricted spaces - too small

David

Still comes down to the same thing, nowhere to go for casual dining whichever way you spin it.

RayO

PS - good for getting the post count up.

Ray,

LOL

...all healthy banter - and no rudeness!!!

M

Guest Solent Richard

Every ship should offer an alternative dining venue no matter how big or small. Every passenger having paid the fare should have the option to dress as they want. Not everyone will agree with this but fortunately or unfortunately this is life like it or not.

Good afternoon OWT.

I'm surprised that you said that.

I'd rephrase the 'Every passenger having paid...' bit to 'Every passenger about to pay the fare should acquaint themselves with the required dress codes and conform as deemed necessary'.

;)  ;) 

Good afternoon OWT.

I'm surprised that you said that.

I'd rephrase the 'Every passenger having paid...' bit to 'Every passenger about to pay the fare should acquaint themselves with the required dress codes and conform as deemed necessary'.

;)  ;)

Agree with you Richard.

OWT - How can you believe that every passenger on a cruise should have the option to dress as they want. Are you really saying that they should not conform in any way with dress codes?

Surely this would only result in a few spoiling it for the majority.

M

With all due respect I cannot see how someone not adhering to the dress code spoils it for the majority….. I was on a cruise and there was a gentleman on our dinner table who was from the USA and doing research into the Baltic states. Whenever it was formal night he didn't come to dinner as he didn't have sufficient luggage allowance to bring his formal wear. It didn't spoil it for anyone we just accepted what he was doing.

With all due respect I cannot see how someone not adhering to the dress code spoils it for the majority….. I was on a cruise and there was a gentleman on our dinner table who was from the USA and doing research into the Baltic states. Whenever it was formal night he didn't come to dinner as he didn't have sufficient luggage allowance to bring his formal wear. It didn't spoil it for anyone we just accepted what he was doing.

Sorry, but you are missing the point. In your example the gentleman did NOT come to dinner because he could not comply with the dress code.

I am saying that I disagree with OWT's view that every passenger should have the option to dress how they want.

That is not the case on ships as well he knows if he looks in the general section on dress codes. For example on evening casual it states "not trainers,football shirts or tracksuits".

Not likely to happen I know but would you like people in the daytime to enter the buffet straight from the pool or bare-chested covered in suntan oil?

M

M

Guest Solent Richard

But surely that gentleman from the USA was behaving correctly. he obviously had no wish to 'Spoil' the ambiance for the others around the table.

It occurs to me he well understood the rules and showed much consideration. ;)  ;)

Totally agree SR and mepo but then I don't think that the OP was suggesting either that he wanted to go around the ship in the evening in either trackies or going into the buffet in swimwear. Perhaps I have misread the lines of the thread. Sorry….