Sickness Onboard

Having suffered from norovirus at home - caught at a New Year's Eve 'do' I believe - I can confirm how horrid and debilitating it is. I can also confirm that it is possible for only one person in the home to have it - we managed to keep my husband free from it by vigilance with separate towels etc. daily bed linen changes, constant cleaning of all hard surface with an anti-bacterial and anti-viral spray and common sense. Given the regular deep cleaning undertaken in affected cabins, which we have witnessed in nearby cabins, I can understand why it is permitted for unaffected room-mates to move freely around the ship. Also the Purell brand of hand gel is the most effective available for use against viruses as well as bacteria - it is the brand supplied to us district nurses!

Lintee

Unlike Lintee I cannot understand why 'unaffected room-mates' are allowed to move freely around the ship as they are touching the same things in the cabin as the affected person and can then transmit the virus to others by way of touch. makes no sense to me. People whilst being unaffected can still be 'Carriers' as with all types of virus and germs.

When I was on Arcadia and the ship was on code red, a woman came into the store to see if they sold pyjamas as her husbands had been taken away for washing by staff. So she was allowed to move freely around the ship, mind you it made me wonder how many sets of pyjamas she had packed for him for a 24 night cruise!!

Needless to say I gave her a wide berth, and no - they dont sell pyjamas!!

• 4 months later...

I have been reading lots of horror stories about sickness onboard I don't understand it, how can you get sick when you have alcohol gell everywhere, you have to complete a sickness questionaire before you travel and if you do feel queezy you use common sense and stay in your cabin. I am fed up with newspapers saying there are 'outbreaks' of sickness onboard if other passengers weren't selfish there wouldn't be!

You get sick simply because people donr care, donr wash there hands, before toching plates etc ie pick up a plate change their mind and put it back brilliant im sure, also once when we were boarding there was a family with 2 kids coughing and sneezing all over the place, no hanky or tissue, and when confronted they told the po person if you think we are cancelling our holiday because kids have a sniffle you can think again, dont know the outcome of that as we were in dedicated boarding que, but its that sort of attitude from people, that think these things dont apply to them.

• 5 months later...

I have been reading lots of horror stories about sickness onboard I don't understand it, how can you get sick when you have alcohol gell everywhere, you have to complete a sickness questionaire before you travel and if you do feel queezy you use common sense and stay in your cabin. I am fed up with newspapers saying there are 'outbreaks' of sickness onboard if other passengers weren't selfish there wouldn't be!

Some years ago we went on a pre cruise land tour of India and nobody in the party got sick. However within a couple of days of boarding in Mumbai the men in the party started to drop like flies, my husband included. We followed instructions and contacted the sick bay who were brilliant, they came in a couple of times a day during his enforced cabin stay and all medication was supplied at no charge. The worst thing for us was the amount of people on board with really bad colds - often you would sit near to someone who would sneeze and cough all over the place so by the time we got to Australia we were quite poorly. Luckily Australia has some of the best cold remedies I have ever used and we were soon well again. As for the gel we were recently on a cruise and there was gel in the buffet restaurants but not in the main dining rooms and the medical opinion was that it was not necessary. I am glad to see that on some ships the hand driers in the public toilets have been taken out as they are very good at spreading germs. 

• 2 weeks later...

I will soon be reaching the 40 years cruising milestone, and 'touch wood' none of the family have ever caught the novovirus. We always use the gel when provided and wash hands regularly. We are picky when eating in the buffet, after seeing people handling rolls, fruit etc then putting them back on display, I wont touch the rolls, if i take a piece of fruit i wash it before eating.I have also seen passengers picking at the salad meats with their fingers, picking up prawns etc off the buffet popping them in their mouths then going back for more. This is something we never used to see but is getting a regular sight.We now avoid the buffets whenever possible. i carry antibacterial hand-wipes and we use them regularly. when we first started cruising there were no wipes or gel and I don't remember novo virus on any cruises then. I wonder does anyone know why?

I was once on Arcadia and lady was just about to leave the ladies without washing her hands, I actually asked her if she had forgotten to wash, she gave me a dirty look but did come back and give her hands a cursory wash.  I have never been brave enough to do it again unfortunately.

Being an "oldie" myself I was quite disturbed by the ageism shown by one of the members on the subject of hand washing and object to being classed as a health risk. I can assure that member that it is not only old ladies who slip out of the toilets without washing their hands. In fact in my local town I have often commented to my husband about the young women who do just that. I can't comment on the men but I'm quite sure there are lots of men who come out of the gents without washing their hands.

Please don't assume that everyone using the forum is below a certain age. There are quite a lot of us who have been computer literate for many years.