I was listening to the radio this morning with someone cancelling their holiday beacuse flying isnt safe!!!!!

I thought how narrow minded the individual was!!!!!!!!!!

This was then followed by the traffic report and only local at that, highlighting 9 travel incidents in a small radius, heaven knows how many that would be countrywide let alone worldwide.

So when someone spouts like this on the radio why dont they think first, I would hazard a guess that more people died in road traffic accidents throughout the world than died in one plane accident, does that person not drive a car? If so is it safe to leave the house as more accidents happen in the home!!!

Yes there have been 3 highlighted crashes, 1 of which was shot down by forces unknown but lets have some perspective and common sense.

FLYING IS SAFER THAN YOU THINK

I appreciate there is a lot in the news at the moment about plane incidents which does make many people very wary, especially those that are nervous flyers anyway! I totally agree though, flying is still much more safer than being in a vehicle on the road!

Let me poise a question....If they had booked a coach ticket,train ticket or a taxi journey and there had been some reported incidents in the press then would they have cancelled these too? Probably not!

I can't say that I enjoy flying, but it is a necessary evil if we want to see interesting parts of the world.  I can't imagine limiting myself to no fly holidays now that we are retired and can spend time exploring new places, both on cruises and land visits.  Unless we went on a world cruise, which is of no interest to us, we would never have been to Australia, South America or the Galapagos Islands, and our planned trip to Malaysia, India and Dubai would just be a dream.  The reason I don't fancy a world cruise is that we enjoy spending time before and after a cruise to explore the area in more depth, rather than doing a lot of ports in single day visits.

Sheila

I absolutely hate flying and don't mind admitting that it terrifies me. I last flew a couple of years ago to be at my sisters wedding in Greece before that was about 15 years ago when i took my kids to Florida. I don't think I will get on a plane again especially when I can go everywhere I want to by Cruise ship. The last plane I went on reminded me of a flying microwave not a pleasant experience at all yuk!!

I absolutely hate flying and don't mind admitting that it terrifies me. I last flew a couple of years ago to be at my sisters wedding in Greece before that was about 15 years ago when i took my kids to Florida. I don't think I will get on a plane again especially when I can go everywhere I want to by Cruise ship. The last plane I went on reminded me of a flying microwave not a pleasant experience at all yuk!!

I am with you terrified of flying, could be that we had 3 near misses in 3 years and saw the plane crash in teneriffe. It really put me off and i have avoided flying. The doctor gave me some pills last time, he said 3 would work so I wouldn't care about anything, they didn't work I just had panic attacks the whole flight and nightmares the whole holiday.Not worth it.

Like elvis, my husbands job took him all over the world. Sometimes I would accompany him, now we like to cruise from Southampton and enjoy the comfort of the ship taking us all over the world with so much less hassle. Airports are a nightmare these days and we don't want the stress. I understand younger people not being bothered but now I think our flying days are over. 

Valid point Land Ahoy, a victim of where we are and that we dont have the benefit of a short cut like the Panama Canal (maybe a straight canal through france would be a good idea), only options are longer cruises which personally if I have the holidays sounds great to me, its relaxing and no stresses of waiting around in long queues at airports or on uk motorways.