Was I Wrong To Suggest That A Fellow Passenger Wash Their Hands Last Week?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Advice please. Last week on Arcadia's fjord cruise I observed a number of (male) passengers using the loos and not washing their hands, so finally I suggested to one that washing his hands might be a

lets hope he reads this forum or anyone that does and dont wash thier hands after using the bathroom are totally ashamed of themselves and their filthy habits.

you would think an adult wouldnt need telling to wash their hands after using the bathroom

On a similar theme, a few weeks ago on Azura the man in front of me in the buffet used his hands to pick up some toast.

I challenged him and asked him to think about the implications if we all did the same. He replied that he'd only touched the pieces he picked up. 

I'm amazed that disease isn't more widespread on cruise ships.

• 2 months later...

The OP asked 'was I wrong?' my response is no, not for yourself if that is what you felt you had to do.  Who is anyone to tell someone else to wash their hands without risking abuse or backlash of some sort?   The sort of people who don't wash their hands will not give a toss about someone pointing it out to them.  There are germs and bacteria everywhere, think turnstiles in stations, handrails on buses and trains, coins and paper money, escalators, petrol pumps, atms, and supermarket baskets and trolleys.  There are lots more.  Surely then we should all be dropping like flies?  

Sadly it's not behaviour that's confined to ships we see it in hotels as well,also the moronic creatures that pick up items of food at a buffet look at it place it on their plate then decide they do not want it and put it back, worst case I ever saw was a woman who picked up several pieces of breaded calamari placed them on her plate took a bite of one then put the whole lot back, I actually love calamari and was bout to have some myself, needles to say they were quickly off my menu. As to saying anything her other half looked about the size of an Alaskan black bear with a face to match and he growled instead of spoke, discretion became the better part of valour

We once refused our food order at a local chain restaurant when it was delivered to us by an employee I saw while in the restroom who did not wash his hands after he did his duty. The manager was embarrassed and they promptly brought us a replacement dinner.

Well done Ian Hardacre. You did exactly what we should all do. It's dirty s*ods like him that can cause N V not the cruise companies. How many do you see walking into the self service areas without using the hand gel. They think it's the rest of us that are unclean. I've seen people pick up white bread rolls with there bare hands, change their mind and exchange for a brown one. Safer to use the restaurant.

We always try to use a napkin to hold the tongs and spoons in the buffets as everyone is touching those to serve themselves and who knows if they have washed. A micro biologist on a cruise recently informed us that the gel provided did little or nothing to prevent the spread of a virus but at least it is a gesture to preventing the spread of disease and should be enforced or at least encouraged but when there are people around with disgusting habits what hope is there for the rest of us?

On my recent P & O cruise the hand sanitizers were removed after 48 hours "as they were not needed". Nobody was suprised when there was some sort of gastro-intestinal symptoms amongst a limited number of passengers/cabins (according to which rumours you listened to). Full sanctions were put in place and it didn't spread. However, it did impact on the services provided and the general ambience of the cruise.

On a slightly different note, those hand sanitizer gels you carry round in your handbag are anti BACTERIAL, and therefore have no effect on NoroVIRUS. As far as I'm aware you cannot obtain anti viral gel in the UK?

On my recent P & O cruise the hand sanitizers were removed after 48 hours "as they were not needed". Nobody was suprised when there was some sort of gastro-intestinal symptoms amongst a limited number of passengers/cabins (according to which rumours you listened to). Full sanctions were put in place and it didn't spread. However, it did impact on the services provided and the general ambience of the cruise.

On a slightly different note, those hand sanitizer gels you carry round in your handbag are anti BACTERIAL, and therefore have no effect on NoroVIRUS. As far as I'm aware you cannot obtain anti viral gel in the UK?

We buy Purell Hand sanitizing gel and it claims to protect against the Noro-Virus. Whether it does or not I don't know, but we have so far managed to avoid getting the bug even when it's been on the ship. I hope I'm not tempting fate, by saying that.sad.png  

• 2 years later...

I too was wondering how an anti-bacterial gel can eliminate norovirus. We use anti-viral spray from Boots which has worked well. Having used hand gel on entering the restaurant you then get handed a menu that could have been used by people who don't wash their hands or use hand gel so we use our spray after ordering.

I never push a lift button with the tip of my finger, using the top side of one of the folded joints instead.  The worst behaviour I saw was earlier this year in a hotel in Cairo, from someone who looked like they might be fairly local.  The chap only had one useable arm but that does not excuse this.  There was a sort of jelly-type thing at the breakfast buffet.  He took a chunk of it on the serving spoon, ate it off the spoon and then put it back beside the food.  I shot him a filthy look and threw the spoon away to the back of the table behind something else to stop it being used.  I appreciate his cultural background was different to mine but honestly!

Edited by afcandrew
typo
  • 2 weeks later...
On 07/07/2014 at 4:14 PM, Waves49 said:

Must admit I haven't seen any ladies not washing their hands but some just rinse under the tap which isn't much better is it!

Unfortunately I have seen some passengers (young and old) not washing their hands after using the toilet BUT I have not been "brave enough" to ask the guilty person(s) to do so despite having experienced a very severe "Nora virus" for approx 4 weeks - but a fantastic weight loss programme. I will do for the sake of my fellow passengers. 

A big NO you were not wrong to suggest the obvious eg. Washing of hands! ! I find it unbelievable that in the ladies toilets I have seen so many so called Ladies just walk out. My husband has observed the same in the Gents toilets. It makes me so angry. P&O do their uutmost to keep the ship virus free. But what chance do they have when passengers just cant be bothered!! Makes you wander how they carry on at home.

Let's hope that all those dirty, inconsiderate people who don't wash their hands after visiting the toilet etc., are the first to catch Norovirus!!

Maybe 3 or 4 days of cabin confinement, with their head over the toilet "heaving their heart out," may convince them to change their disgusting ways in future!!