Just been speaking to friends who have always taken a couple of cruises every year, on asking them where they are going next they told me they are not cruising anymore as they can't smoke, they have always taken a balcony cabin so they can enjoy a drink and a smoke,  I smoke but it won't stop me cruising, however since there are now alot of pubs which have and are still closing due to lack of trade, which one can only assume is connected in some way to the no smoking ban, I have been wondering if this is the same for cruising, are there any people who have stopped cruising due to the ban????

I am sure a few have decided that cruising is no longer for them, but if I am honest I am not sure it would make me quit cruise holidays.

I think pubs have closed partly to the smoking ban but also because our habits have changed and we no long feel the need to go to a pub for a good time when we can do the same at home for much cheaper. We also now have wine bars which are popular and tapas bars so our evenings out have changed.

P&O have not banned smoking on-board just narrowed down where you can do it but it will be interesting to see if that causes even more problems with the people who will complain about the smoke in public open spaces. Time will tell and maybe smokers should voice their opinions on the survey forms if enough do it maybe another solution could be found. 

Undoubtedly it will put some people off, but probably not many.

Smoking is still permitted in certain areas, and with eCigarettes becoming a lot more popular P&O have said these are allowed to be smoked in cabins and on balconies (but not in other public areas where smoking is prohibited).

I used to smoke socially when I was a student (i.e. only when in bars and clubs) but don't do it at all anymore.  I don't know what eCigarettes are like, but my brother-in-law has made the switch and seems to be getting on really well!

I would like to say that a couple of people I know have stated that they will no longer cruise as they cannot smoke on a balcony… I suggested that they went on a ship with a tiered back and have an outside cabin in that area… not only would they have access to a smoking area but would save money aswell but they didn't like the idea… 

I wonder what the ratio of smokers V non smokers on ships is.

I have never smoked but think it would be a shame if some smokers felt they could no longer cruise.

I suppose a section of balcony rooms together is one solution problem with the smoke though is that it can travel.

Someone mentioned e cigs, there is a fire risk with some of the chargers on some of these so I am surprised the cruise lines have accepted them.

When I asked a fire officer about this I was told they were still trying to find out what was causing it.

I wonder what the ratio of smokers V non smokers on ships is.

I have never smoked but think it would be a shame if some smokers felt they could no longer cruise.

I suppose a section of balcony rooms together is one solution problem with the smoke though is that it can travel.

Someone mentioned e cigs, there is a fire risk with some of the chargers on some of these so I am surprised the cruise lines have accepted them.

When I asked a fire officer about this I was told they were still trying to find out what was causing it.

I don't know what the fire risk would be.  They don't have high powered transformers like hairdryers and straighteners (which I know do cause a problem).  I believe many eCigarettes can be charged using USB they require such little power.

There was something on the news whereby someone bought a charger from a petrol station and it set her car alight.. apparently it was the wrong type of charger. But at the end of the day, the same could be said with camera battery chargers if you read the small print. It always says that you shouldn't leave them on charge when not in the room. Possibly for this reason.

I don't know what the fire risk would be.  They don't have high powered transformers like hairdryers and straighteners (which I know do cause a problem).  I believe many eCigarettes can be charged using USB they require such little power.

Have to admit I find it strange. I didn't know some had chargers. I thought they were all USB.

Good point about the camera's etc though - but has there been many fires started by them?

great replies thanks but taking the subject back to the original question still wanting to know if there are more people out there who don't cruise anymore due to the smoking ban, yes we all know there are places on the deck to smoke but not being able to smoke on the balcony, has this stopped people from cruising anymore.  As I said previously my friends are one example and the people, pesky pirate knows is one other.  Perhaps it hasn't put people off cruising at all??? look forward to looking at further comments thanks

Reference the chargers for e-cigs the problem has occurred because people are using charger they get off the internet amongst other places and they are counterfeited and do not pass the UK safety standards.

If you use the correct charger (the one that comes with the product) there is no problem.