Each time I have sailed on a P & O cruise from Southampton we take one small suitcase which I carry on board and contain some drinks i.e. a wine box, some bottles of tonic, Gin and Brandy which we consume on the balcony before dinner during the cruise. Never have we been stopped from doing this. The bottles in some cases were the duty free variety which we purchased on our previous cruise so you see we are not really big drinkers. Mother in Law loves calling into Cadiz where she can get a sherry unobtainable in the UK, another bonus of cruising.

Yes you can take some alcohol on board as Hampshire Hog has stated, providing it's a sensible amount. However, this can only be consumed in your cabin (Not in Public Areas), but personal bottles of wine is allowed in restaurants subject to a corkage charge. Personally, I wouldn't even bother as that bottle of Gin or Scotch you want for your cabin can be purchased via your Steward. The cost of the litre bottles of spirits via your Cabin Steward is very competitive with that available in your local supermarket.  And best of all, you don't have to carry this on-board in your hand luggage. More room for that extra pair of the wife's shoes (at least that's what she tells me).

Guest shilly3191

The price of buying bottles of spirits from cabin steward have risen considerably recently and is not comparable to supermarkets so if for personal use in your cabin I would visit supermarket and take your own.

I have never taken alcohol on board P&O ships as I find their on-board prices reasonable for what I drink (i.e. beer). I can also understand that they do not want rolling drunk people getting on board. Having said that, however, for most passengers a cruise ship is basically a floating hotel, and the idea of a hotel receptionist telling me that I can not take alcohol to my room is obviously a complete non-starter.

For cruise ships to not allow passengers to take alcohol on board seems to me to be a throwback to the worst kind of Blackpool landlady's attitude.

I might as well say the unpopular thing and think that cruise ships should not allow people to take alcohol on board and nor should they provide packages that allow uncontrolled alcohol consumption.

Cruise ships are a business, just like hotels and restaurants and I would not regard it as acceptable behaviour to take my own alcohol to any of these estblishments. Equally I prefer not to have to spend my holiday with fellow passengers who are being encouraged to drink as much as they like because there is no financial restriction on the level of their consumption.

The only thing I find even worse is those people who think it is clever to take alcohol on board hidden in water bottles or other equipment. Do they have no self respect and do these people not think it is the equivalent of a criminal act?

Guest Solent Richard

I might as well say the unpopular thing and think that cruise ships should not allow people to take alcohol on board and nor should they provide packages that allow uncontrolled alcohol consumption.

Cruise ships are a business, just like hotels and restaurants and I would not regard it as acceptable behaviour to take my own alcohol to any of these estblishments. Equally I prefer not to have to spend my holiday with fellow passengers who are being encouraged to drink as much as they like because there is no financial restriction on the level of their consumption.

The only thing I find even worse is those people who think it is clever to take alcohol on board hidden in water bottles or other equipment. Do they have no self respect and do these people not think it is the equivalent of a criminal act?

Good afternoon Wilbo and nice to chat to you.

Having just returned from an extended lunch I'll try to remain coherent.

Seriously though, having noted your comment, I think you will like this one.

A couple of years ago my wife and I cruised on Independence of the Seas and during the course of that cruise we stopped at Livorno.

We took a private tour to Pisa and Florence which included a stop at the Fattoria San Michele a Torri Srl Chianti Estate on the journey back to the ship.

10189094796_584f94e9f0_z.jpg

10188950804_1be8276f86_z.jpg

10189051545_ebf724aa3b_z.jpg

Being the good tourist that I am I could not resist the purchase of a particularly good Chianti half case.

On our return to the ship I was stopped and questioned about the alcohol I had in my possession. It was duly taken into bond and a receipt issued...

9448389461_ac805cfe13_z.jpg

Having not exactly been enamoured with the quality of the food on Independence of the Seas I could not resist the little quip...' You don't seriously believe that I would open a bottle of such a fine Chianti to accompany the food on here'

;)

Guest shilly3191

When we were last on Azuar in 2012 on a Caribbean cruise, you could buy alcohol from the duty free shop and take it with you. Is this still allowed?

No they now sell duty free but only for collection at the end of the cruise to take home not to drink onboard.

As people have said some things regarding Duty Free sales have changed on P&O.  You can still take your own alcohol on board with no problem at all.  You can still buy Duty Free on board but not for consumption while you are onboard.  Your order is taken and you collect it on the last day of the cruise.  You can buy bottles of spriits onboard from your steward/room service but they are not duty free prices and they are not as cheap as supermarket prices.  The price, for example, of a bottle of Gin will be higher on board than from your local supermarket.

Who knows things may change but that's how it is at the moment.

On P&O earlier this year we bought a bottle of spirits that they issued vouchers for to use until a certain date. We were able to take the bottle to the cabin and we did drink it.

Also many passengers took small suitcases ashore to stock up on tonic water wine, or whatever they needed for their cabin usage. No problem taking it on board as the crew and officers do it also. We were on a long voyage may I add so saw plenty of what was going on.

• 2 months later...