alice1903

AZAMAZING EVENING

Just back from one week cruise on Quest and tried out the complimentary azamazing evening. The evening was a 17th century castle in Sicily, it was a fantastic night with traditional Sicilian music and folk dancers and really gave all the passengers a change to mix and make new friends. would recommend it, has anyone else tried out the evenings and what did you think?

Been back about a month from Journey. We had our evening in Feyithe, Turkey. It was organised very well. The food was hit and miss, they were catering in the open air for 590+ so sometimes food was not hot by the time your table was served. Also those on earlier coaches were summoned to return before dessert was served but the concept is good.

The first Azamazing evening I attended was a Military Band concert in St Michaels Cave, Gibraltar and was excellent. There was a choice of timings,  5.30 or 7.30 so all the passengers were not in attendance at the same time, which worked well, and wine and snacks were served during the interval.  

The second was the Turkish evening in Feyithe which I did not like. I experienced the problems previously mentioned by Autumn and I also thought that the entertainment, although professional, went on too long.  I was pleased when the evening ended and I could go back to the ship.

To sum up, I agree with Autumn that the concept is good, but some fine tuning is needed.  Cut out the meal, no shore establishment can provide a meal for 700 people in one sitting that compares with the quality and service provided by Azamara onboard staff.   Azamara would do better to keep the catering simple with drinks and small snacks.

Have done three Azamazing evenings:  Gibraltar, Sorrento and Livorno.  They were brilliant, fair and good respectively.  All required a huge administrative effort from the organisers which, to their credit, usually went well.

Just back from Azamara journey and did the Azamazing evening at Ephesus, kusadasi. This really was an amazing evening,a classical concert in the ancient roman amphitheatre. Although im not into classical music normally, this was a fantastic experience and got to see a bit of Ephesus at the same time, complimentary!! The organisation of the night was excellent. We were greated with complimentary champagne and hors d'oeuvres and then guided to seats in the amphitheatre by flash light,this was ok for us but not very good for anyone with walking difficulties. However arrangements were made at the front if needed. A brilliant night, would well recommend.

Our Azamazing evening in April in Safaga is going to be held on-board the ship.

I have heard such mixed reviews about these events that I am pleased about this, as we can take the decision whether or not we

attend on the day and presumably not be 'fined' if we decide to give it a miss.

we had a fantatsic azamaing evening in livorno. we went to see the 3 tenors .... in italy! certainly one to tick off the bucket list! the tour was so well organised and i would recommend anyone to take them!

We did 2 AzAmazing Evenings.

1st was in Bordeaux, called 'Soirée at La Palais De La Bourse'.

We left the ship at 6.45pm and after a 5 minute walk along the banks of the Garonne River, we entered a beautiful building which was full of vaulted ceilings which surrounded a huge hall which was used for functions.

The 'Place de La Bourse' Just outside we were met by Captain Johannes who was meeting & greeting guests, then after entering the building we were greeted with all the Bordeaux wine we could drink, and after getting to our table, we were offered all the savoury & sweet canapés we could eat!

There was lovely music playing and we just thought it was a recording but we looked found to see a singer! She was fabulous, such a beautiful voice.

Then she walked off the stage and 6 scanty clad girls with large head dresses came on the stage & started dancing! It was like the Moulin Rouge-but they weren't topless-much to my disappointment!

That's how the evening went, singing, dancers, singing, dancers but while all this was here for our enjoyment, at the same time we were drinking wine, eating canapés and enjoying the company of fellow passengers. All for free.

We left the venue at about 9.15pm after the beautiful young ladies danced the 'Can-Can' & we had a lovely stroll along the riverside back to the ship.

The 2nd was in Barcelona, called 'Codorniu, Cava & Flamenco'

This was an evening tour of a vineyard on the edge of the Pyrenees mountains.

We were going to Cava region!

(Made exactly like champagne but it cannot be called champagne because it's not from that region-or country for that matter)

On the coach, when we were very nearly there, we could see the fabled Monserrat Mountain which seemed to really stand our from the other hills, because of it's sheer, sharp, ragged peaks which seemed to just elevate from the hills which surrounded it.

Minutes away from our venue, and there were many vineyards, we passed 2 or 3 before we reached our destination. There were acres & acres of vines laid out in neat lines and we could see loads of tractors with large trailers full of grapes that had just been picked.

There was a train tour of the vineyard cellars but it wasn't accessible so we didn't do it.

Apparently, we didn't miss much-a steep slope down there then thousands of dusty old vintages in cold, damp, long dark cellars. We were told that if these cellars were in line, end to end would stretch for 30km!

So we stayed outside the lovely arches of the main vineyard visitors building, enjoying the warm September evening sunshine, listening to a band & sampling a glass or 2 of their Cava-which was actually quite nice. While our group were down there, we chatted to some who had done it already.

So when it was time, all of us went into a beautiful large brick hall with lots of vaulted ceilings. It was stunning, and the lights and their shadows from the brick vaults had a beautiful effect.

We sat at a table at the end, right next to a stage which had a backdrop of 2 massive wooden barrels. There were lots of various types of tapas, a bottle of Blanc de Blancs, a bottle of Rioca, and a bottle of water. and they weren't shy in coming forward with refills either!

We were sat with 2 American couples (1 of which were the proud parents of the cruise director.) We were then joined at our table by Phillip Herbert, the ship's Hotel Director and his lovely wife and Carl, the ship's Captain. We didn't sit at the Captain's table.........he sat at ours!

We were all chatting away, when all of a sudden there was this almighty noise of music which was bringing the Flamenco dancers into the hall. They eventually made their way to the stage (2 female 1 male) and did some fantastic Flamenco dancing. They danced for a little while, then the females disappeared and the male dancer was joined by 2 more males. All 3 men danced together to a few various traditional Flamenco tunes and were getting applause from us.

Then they did their final dance of the evening.

Through the speakers, 'Volaré' by the 'Gypsy Kings' started.

And the whole place just went wild!

The dancer in the centre urged us all to clap to the beat and they danced to the music. The more enthusiastic we got, the more enthusiastic the dancers got. And vice versa!

So there were 9 of us at our table (including the Captain) at a vineyard at the edge of the Pyrenees, laughing, joking, then clapping to Flamenco dancers while the Gypsy Kings 'Volaré played.

What an evening!