HI  I have been on over fifty cruises and on the vast majority (40) I have not had an upgrade.  A few were just a move from the same cabin type to a higher deck.  However, on my last two cruises I booked a guaranteed inside cabin to a high deck balcony. Both of these were for sailings outside the peak seasons were upgrades are more likely.  On the whole the upgrade fairy doesn't make an appearance.

I've never had an upgrade - but I'm picky where I will go on a ship anyway.

Like Terminator says be careful with it as I have heard some say they haven't been too impressed and of course others who have been thrilled.

Ages ago I read on another forum that someone had been automatically upgraded, didn't want it and was struggling to stay in the original cabin they had booked

Has anyone else heard of this?

• 2 weeks later...

yes I have met people on the cruises who were not happy as they had been given an upgrade which put them on a lower deck and to them it wasn't an upgrade.  when I book with Bolsover cruise club my agent who I always use always asks me if I want to be on the list for upgrades and she always explains to me what its about and tells me I can't request my old cabin back if I get an upgrade I don't like so I always say no to that just in case.

When I booked with Bolsover last year I was given 3 options of upgrade;

1. Opt out of upgrade and stay with what I have

2. Be quarenteed the type of cabin booked but possible upgrade to differfent areas on the ship

3. Be open for any upgrade on any area of the ship(they will never downgrade).... who knows... might get a suite!!! ;)

sometimes in life you have to take a risk

My view has always been be happy with what you book, if you want something more then be prepared to pay for it. Proper upgrades, that is not within the same cabin type, are rare but do happen in the circumstances stated.

An inside cabin is still an inside cabin no matter where you are on the ship: although the grade may be higher and it's considered an upgrade it is still inside. Inside to outside, outside to balcony etc. those are upgrades but we have never had one of those.

RayO

When I booked with Bolsover last year I was given 3 options of upgrade;

1. Opt out of upgrade and stay with what I have

2. Be quarenteed the type of cabin booked but possible upgrade to differfent areas on the ship

3. Be open for any upgrade on any area of the ship(they will never downgrade).... who knows... might get a suite!!! ;)

sometimes in life you have to take a risk

Bolsover have never asked if we wanted to go on and upgrade list, when we asked them about it -our previous travel agent had always asked, we were told it is not company policy to offer the chance of an upgrade.